Finally!! A rabbit

Finally got a rabbit late yesterday on the farm. They are everywhere as soon as it gets dark but unfortunately we cannot hunt them past dark in PA. During the day they do not leave cover.

Last rabbit I got was 5 years ago and I go every year. No dog or anything so it’s hard going but it’s been plaguing me forever. Stepped out the pole building as we were processing my wife’s buck and there he was lol.

Fx crown lime 12 yards away. Just happy I finally got one, back of the head shot straight down.

Any good recipes besides crock pot?

Added a pic of my wife’s buck cuz I know someone will ask, had to track it overnight and crows got too him early morning before us. Only on the one side but was able to salvage everything else luckily as it was 30 degrees all night.

IMG_0709.jpeg

IMG_0707.jpeg

Finally got a rabbit late yesterday on the farm. They are everywhere as soon as it gets dark but unfortunately we cannot hunt them past dark in PA. During the day they do not leave cover.

Last rabbit I got was 5 years ago and I go every year. No dog or anything so it’s hard going but it’s been plaguing me forever. Stepped out the pole building as we were processing my wife’s buck and there he was lol.

Fx crown lime 12 yards away. Just happy I finally got one, back of the head shot straight down.

Any good recipes besides crock pot?

Added a pic of my wife’s buck cuz I know someone will ask, had to track it overnight and crows got too him early morning before us. Only on the one side but was able to salvage everything else luckily as it was 30 degrees all night.

View attachment 406641

View attachment 406642
HA ! Same here , no rabbits except in my yard (in town) or out all over after dark ! Congrats on your wife's buck . One walked through our yard 2 days ago while I was in the Man Cave plinkin'. My wife was hollering ( not usual ! ) , I limped upstairs in time to see it cross the street to the little park . Unfortunately he was hit by a car later in the day & laid out on the main road:cry:.

HA ! Same here , no rabbits except in my yard (in town) or out all over after dark ! Congrats on your wife's buck . One walked through our yard 2 days ago while I was in the Man Cave plinkin'. My wife was hollering ( not usual ! ) , I limped upstairs in time to see it cross the street to the little park . Unfortunately he was hit by a car later in the day & laid out on the main road:cry:.
Oh man very unfortunate! Yeah my wife got a humbling lesson in archery. Sometimes you just pull the shot and she actually hit its rear leg but managed to luckily hit the main artery and he bled out within 500 yards of where he was hit. Definitely made her want to practice more but I’m just glad it didn’t go to waste

Good jobs, always liked it my wife and had luck togeather
She’s in love with archery season bc of the consistency in movement and the bigger bucks. Where we live there is hardly a huge trophy deer and I personally only care about meat so I’ll shot anything as long as it’s legal and fat lol. I love to see her learn and enjoy it and she got a big lesson in racking this time so it’s all to the greater good.

Congrats! I grew up hunting mostly cottontails with beagles and do miss watching the dogs work. The rut here in Oklahoma is going but the big mature bucks are pretty much locked down with a doe. You see a lot of smaller ones cursing but not the real mature bucks. Man I'm from OK so everything gets rolled in flour and fried then gravy made from the pan-lol. Maybe your luck will continue and you both can add to the pot.
Jon

Congratulations to the both of you. A very bountiful time at your home indeed. There is nothing like hunting and harvesting your own food. Very gratifying
Yes, I told my friend who’s never hunted, you don’t understand the value of hunting until you harvest you own game and process it yourself. Not everyone can but when you can it’s a great experience.

Congrats! I grew up hunting mostly cottontails with beagles and do miss watching the dogs work. The rut here in Oklahoma is going but the big mature bucks are pretty much locked down with a doe. You see a lot of smaller ones cursing but not the real mature bucks. Man I'm from OK so everything gets rolled in flour and fried then gravy made from the pan-lol. Maybe your luck will continue and you both can add to the pot.
Jon
I haven’t done that style cooking in a long time but that’s not a bad idea for my pot I bring to thanksgiving Dinner lol

Reactions: drsquall