Filling the PCP Rifle

Since I'm so new at this I hope you guys don't just shake your heads but I do have questions. First and foremost I just finished shooting and there is some pressure left in the rifle tank. Is it best to empty it completely or refill it while it still has some pressure in it. Not sure if the compressor will realize the psi already in the rifle. The rifle has a pressure regulator and guage built in. The compressor has an automatic shut off when desired pressure is reached. I appreciate all replies.

If it is a regulated gun, which it sounds as though it is, I typically will shoot down to the regulated pressure and then refill. I always store my PCP's with air in the cylinder. I don't think it really matters if it's topped off or not, but will typically leave it at around 2000 psi or more. If it's my pesting gun, I always top it off before I put it away so it's ready to go when needed.

Reactions: biohazardman
Woodenpatriot,

For the best health of your PCP, never shoot under the regulator set pressure. My FX Wildcat MK3's regulator is set at 140, I never shoot under that. PCP has a one-way valve that prevents air escaping during refill, compressor should fill gun regardless of pressure, except in the case of totally empty guns, which can be tricky if valve won't close. Hope this helps, WM

Never completely empty it unless you are working on it. Top it off before storing, it's better on the seals to keep pressure on them. Also some valves won't seat well after completely degassed and need a blast of air from a tank source to seat them for filling. As others have already stated check and set your pressure setting on compressor, always monitor fills just in case shut off switch fails.

If it is a regulated gun, which it sounds as though it is, I typically will shoot down to the regulated pressure and then refill. I always store my PCP's with air in the cylinder. I don't think it really matters if it's topped off or not, but will typically leave it at around 2000 psi or more. If it's my pesting gun, I always top it off before I put it away so it's ready to go when needed.

This is what I do a well. Admittedly, I am new to air gunning. Have you encountered any issues with the PCP, seals, etc. with a max filled tank and stored?