Filling Omega tank with HP3 valve

I just watched Rich's video (AoA) on all the different methods of filling an air tank, but he did not say whether you can connect your female foster fitting hose from the compressor directly to the male fitting on the HP3 vlave on the tank. If you can fill that way, was is the proper sequence to pressurize the line? Open the HP3 valve first then start the compressor or start the compressor first and pressurize the line until it is close to equal with the tank pressure then open the tank valve. Anyone?

I am no expert. Kinda' bummed. I was watching this thread, hoping that someone would respond.

My 6k nitrogen source has been discontinued, so I am now a new owner of a compressor to gun filling "system" that I will also use to top off a small bottle.

It is my (no expert/ignorant) understanding that it would be best to pressurize the compressor/output filter/line up to (or close to) the tank's pressure first, then open the tank's valve.

It is probably not a bad idea to contact the manufacturer of the compressor, and ask them.

If you can have a one way fitting somewhere in between you can open the tank right away. I use a yong heng compressor with an additional water separator and a tuxing gold filter. I use two additional one way fittings besides the one that's on the compressor itself. My procedure for filling my tanks is as follows.
1: connect all the fittings and tank and compressor as I have them setup.
2. make sure compressor has both valves open
3. make sure all other valves on fittings and filters are closed
4. open tank/bottle completely and look for any signs of leaking. At this point the tuxing filter and all exhaust lines from the gold filter get pressurized with whatever pressure is in the tank minus the pressure required to fill these items.
5. I then turn on the compressor and allow to run for about 30 seconds or so after which i close the bleed valves on the compressor and allow the whole system to pressurize. At this point the water separator (copper colored coalescing filter) gets to roughly 2800 psi before it has enough pressure to open the one way valve and start filling the tank.
6. I open the valves on the compressor about every 5 minutes or so, and change the small cigarette filter coming out of the yong heng about every 10 minutes. Having the two one way valves allows me to disconnect the compressor while maintaining pressure in the rest of the system. I believe worriedman has the same setup or very simmilar as its what i used to create mine. he also has pictures posted of his setup.

yong heng setup.jpg

I have the omega tank with HP3. It has no check valve, like Scotty1 said. I simply start the compressor then bring the line pressure up slightly higher than the tank pressure before opening the valve.
My old Air Venturi tank had a male foster fitting to fill it with. When my new tank came with the instructions to fill it through the same line that goes to the airgun I was pretty much lost as my compressor will fill the line and auto shut off. I solved the problem (sort of) by adding an oversized oil/water separator that gives me time to react.

Not only did this tank come with no fill connector, but if the tank is not connected to anything the pressure indicator will always show zero. Is that normal?

my Yong Heng doesn’t have the auto shut off but I can see how that can cause an issue. My fill whip is also connected to filters before the tank so the pressure isn’t skyrocketing super fast either. My HP3 has two gauges. The small gauge will always show tank pressure and the big gauge show fill pressure. So in your case, if you have only one gauge it will read zero unless connected and in the process of filling or being filled. In order to read tank pressure you would need a dead head plug to pressurize the line.

My old Air Venturi tank had a male foster fitting to fill it with. When my new tank came with the instructions to fill it through the same line that goes to the airgun I was pretty much lost as my compressor will fill the line and auto shut off. I solved the problem (sort of) by adding an oversized oil/water separator that gives me time to react.

Not only did this tank come with no fill connector, but if the tank is not connected to anything the pressure indicator will always show zero. Is that normal?
Yes this can be normal on some tank valves. Some have a guage that always shows tank pressure while others do not. You can connect to an airgun, compressor or a dead head to get pressure readings if your valve dont show constant tank pressure.