Fill multiple guns without dumping the air from your large water trap/filter each time

This is an update to some older posts of mine with new information about the defective bleed valve on the small Tuxing filter with the shutoff valve on it. If you buy this part, be sure to replace the bleed valve assembly with a better built bleed valve so as to not have a dangerous situation where the bleed screw can shoot out of the fitting under pressure like mine did.

If you want to be able to keep remove a filled gun from the fill whip without having to dump all the air in your water trap / filter just add these inexpensive components and you are good to go.

1670031487253.png
6000 PSI needle valve for $15 on Amazon

Intall this just before the shutoff valve as shown in the diagram.

Several other options out there but this was the least expensive I found and it was rated at 6000 psi. It has been working well for many months. Something with a lever handle would be easier to turn off.
1687961413823.png
+
1687961641239.png
One way foster fittings are about $8.
Just add the appropriate quick connector to install where shown on the diagram. I ended up with a male to male to match my hoses.
1687961017849.png
The small Tuxing silver water trap with a bleed valve is $26.xx with a whip on Aliexpress. $39 without a whip on Amazon. Installed at the very and of the line as shown on the diagram. The bleed valve on mine FAILED and was fired into my hand with significant force. Be sure to replace it for your own safety, or use something else for a bleed valve.

Diagram of where everything goes.

1689860895647.png

As noted above, be sure to replace the defective bleed valve on the silver Tuxing filter with something like this. I think that mine ended up being M10 but you never know what you are going to get from stuff off Aliexpress. Check it first.

Link to the part on eBay.

1687961983989.png

With all those items in place you can remove guns / tanks from the setup without losing pressure in your water trap AND restart your compressor with no load on it, saving quite a bit of time when filling multiple items in a row vs bleeding out the water trap every time. My double tube water trap takes longer to fill than most of my guns! Now there is no more waiting for it to fill.

Disclaimer: This post is for informational purposes only. Use these parts and instructions at your own risk. I am not stating that this is known to be a safe setup or parts. Working with high pressure air / HPA is potentially lethal. You are ultimately responsible to make sure everything is properly configured and you are using safety precautions.

Last edited:
Another side benefit to having the captured air in your water trap / filter for those who don't have an air tank, is that you can use it to seat the valve in a new or existing gun that has no air in the cylinder with a quick blast of air from the trap. Sometimes it can be difficult to seat the valve with the slow trickle of air from the compressor alone. I was going to use my SCBA tank to do that on my latest purchase but realized I could use the 250 BAR air pressure in the trap to do the same thing, and it worked great.

I had a slow leak from the new bleed valve assembly recently installed to replace the defective Tuxing bleed valve, and it was going from 250 BAR down to zero overnight. A 1/8 turn on the assembly fixed it and it is holding solid now. If I fill it to 300 bar at the end of filling a gun after closing the shutoff valve on the gun side of the line, and leave it there, I can get one fill on my Notos without needing to turn on the compressor which is handy if the tank is somewhere else and I don't want to wake up everyone in the house when shooting late at night on my indoor range by turning on the Yong Heng.

This is an update to some older posts of mine with new information about the defective bleed valve on the small Tuxing filter with the shutoff valve on it. If you buy this part, be sure to replace the bleed valve assembly with a better built bleed valve so as to not have a dangerous situation where the bleed screw can shoot out of the fitting under pressure like mine did.

If you want to be able to keep remove a filled gun from the fill whip without having to dump all the air in your water trap / filter just add these inexpensive components and you are good to go.

1670031487253.png

Several other options out there but this was the least expensive I found and it was rated at 6000 psi. It has been working well for many months. Something with a lever handle would be easier to turn off.
Just add the appropriate quick connector to install where shown on the diagram. I ended up with a male to male to match my hoses.
View attachment 368299The small Tuxing silver water trap with a bleed valve is $26.xx with a whip on Aliexpress. $39 without a whip on Amazon. Installed at the very and of the line as shown on the diagram. The bleed valve on mine FAILED and was fired into my hand with significant force. Be sure to replace it for your own safety, or use something else for a bleed valve.

View attachment 374310

As noted above, be sure to replace the defective bleed valve on the silver Tuxing filter with something like this. I think that mine ended up being M10 but you never know what you are going to get from stuff off Aliexpress. Check it first.

View attachment 368302

With all those items in place you can remove guns / tanks from the setup without losing pressure in your water trap AND restart your compressor with no load on it, saving quite a bit of time when filling multiple items in a row vs bleeding out the water trap every time. My double tube water trap takes longer to fill than most of my guns! Now there is no more waiting for it to fill.

Disclaimer: This post is for informational purposes only. Use these parts and instructions at your own risk. I am not stating that this is known to be a safe setup or parts. Working with high pressure air / HPA is potentially lethal. You are ultimately responsible to make sure everything is properly configured and you are using safety precautions.
So I have one issue with this setup. If you are using a mechanical moisture seperator/trap this would be fine, in theory, but using a molecular sieve/desiccants/cotton filter, you are not ever supposed to leave the air in the filters as the filter was media will absorb any excess moisture that is still in the air.

So I have one issue with this setup. If you are using a mechanical moisture seperator/trap this would be fine, in theory, but using a molecular sieve/desiccants/cotton filter, you are not ever supposed to leave the air in the filters as the filter was media will absorb any excess moisture that is still in the air.

Simple solution to that if it is a concern....dump the air when you are done filling guns for the day.

Not sure how having the media absorb remaining moisture in the air is a bad thing. Would you want that moisture going into the gun? Please explain.

Simple solution to that if it is a concern....dump the air when you are done filling guns for the day.

Not sure how having the media absorb remaining moisture in the air is a bad thing. Would you want that moisture going into the gun? Please explain.
Hmm, in the scuba bussiness our molecular sieves stay pressurized for the duration of their useful life.

Reactions: Smitty911

Yea, my bad, I guess I didn't really think that through. It would be good for filling stuff one after the other for sure. Just not leaving the air in for extended lengths of time

Hmm, in the scuba bussiness our molecular sieves stay pressurized for the duration of their useful life.

That is my take on this as well. If anything that air left in the cylinder with the molecular sieve material in it would be even more dry with no harm done on the sieve beads. I am waiting for some color changing beads to replace the regular ones, at least in the first few inches, for my molecular sieve that will follow an "Orange" coalescing water trap so I won't be just guessing how much moisture gets past the Orange. So far with my GX CS4, I have yet to see even a tiny amount of water coming out of the Orange trap, but with my Yong Heng there is visible liquid water. I do drain the built in water trap in the CS4 about every 10 minutes with a fairly decent amount of water coming out, but none of the liquid water gets past that trap, so far.

Actually, you do not want the valve open to open air between uses. As it will absorb water from the air and render the desiccant useless in a short amount of time.

Allen

Reactions: Geezerhood

1670031487253.png

View attachment 368299The small Tuxing silver water trap with a bleed valve is $26.xx with a whip on Aliexpress. $39 without a whip on Amazon. Installed at the very and of the line as shown on the diagram. The bleed valve on mine FAILED and was fired into my hand with significant force. Be sure to replace it for your own safety, or use something else for a bleed valve.

View attachment 374310

View attachment 368302

Thanks for the e-Bay link for the good part - just order one to replace mine. I bought one of these a while ago to use as a vent in a line, but had not used it yet. This way it will be ready to go and be safe. Thanks again!

Reactions: Geezerhood
Updated with a photo of the setup with the replacement bleed valve installed.

I don't recall the specs on the fittings. They were items I had in my parts box. The seals on the shutoff valve fittings was accomplished with Dowty Washers. I replaced the set screw that held the knob on the shutoff valve with a hex key screw to make it easier to turn the knob. As the pressure goes up, the resistance to turning also increases. At 4500 PSI it is pretty hard to move with just my fingers. The bleed valve is the one I got on ebay to replace the defective and fairly dangerous undersized and poorly fitting threads bleed screw that came with the Tuxing filter.

1698042848893.png

Reactions: MysticalDragon
What are the thread sizes for the 1-way fosters and the valve? I want to install on a tuxing filter and standard microbore hoses. It looks like m10x1 but the valve you linked to is 1/4 npt?

My plan is to use a 1-way foster on the filter inlet and the valve on the outlet. I’ll use the bleeder on my tank so I won’t need an inline. Am I missing anything?

Thank you in advance!