• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Filing down grips

Sure...

1.) But, you say that the grip is...too large !?

2.) Then you say that you want to "file" it !?

These two comments do not go together !

1.) If the grip is smaller than your hand - Yes, filing, grinding, sanding, restippling is done all the time. See below, my FAS6004. I used a high speed grinder, and some sand paper to reshape the grip on this gun. I removed wood in several places until my hand was comfortable holding the gun. I then took my little electric pensile, and restippled the areas that I removed wood from. Some areas I did not add stippling, I left it smooth. I still need to oil it, haven't done that yet.

6004FAS, .177.1650259527.JPG

2.) I both removed wood, AND added filler (epoxy) to my Ocelot grip (below). Some areas were too small, some areas were not comfortable. Mainly the middle finger area, under the trigger guard. I just removed the finish on the area of the middle finger area, then added an epoxy filler to make the surface more even with the rest of my fingers, grip diameter wise. You can't see the amount of material that I "removed". but it was a lot ! Especially on the "wing" where the heal of the palm rests on the left side of the grip. It's now about 1/2 the height that it once was. I also removed a fair amount of material at the bottom of my hand area, and at mi index, or trigger finger area, so that my index finger was more comfortable while on the trigger. I painted it with automotive "trunk" paint.

NOTE - I could...have used a wood filler, then restained and cleared the grip, but I like the roughness of the trunk paint. It adds overall grip.

Ocelot.1650259813.JPG

Kalibrgun Ocelot .22.1650260033.JPG

THEN...there's my rifle grip that I molded to fit...MY...hand. It's a plastic grip that's a very simple shape. I wanted it to "fill" my hand. I have some "Marine" epoxy that allows a "fitting" like this to be done. I added the epoxy, then wetted my hand, then gripped the gun as if I were ready to shoot. After I was done, I found I needed to change it a little. I removed some of the epoxy, recoated it (see the two colors of epoxy), then placed my hand again, only in a slightly different position and gripped it like I was ready to shoot. Then...just let the epoxy cure. So now, every time that I put my hand on the grip, it goes into place the same...every time. I had the trunk paint from the Ocelot work, so I painted this grip with it too.

I actually did two of these rifle grips. One for my RTI Prophet Compact, and one for my Impact.

FX Maverick, Vert. modified grip.1650260415.JPG

FX Maverick, modified grip.1650260684.JPG

So again, yes, you can do a lot if you want to. I think that there are others on this site that have also modified their grips to better fit their hands.

It's better to fit the grip to the hand, rather than modify the hand to fit the grip !!!

Mike

Sure...

1.) But, you say that the grip is...too large !?

2.) Then you say that you want to "file" it !?

These two comments do not go together !

1.) If the grip is smaller than your hand - Yes, filing, grinding, sanding, restippling is done all the time. See below, my FAS6004. I used a high speed grinder, and some sand paper to reshape the grip on this gun. I removed wood in several places until my hand was comfortable holding the gun. I then took my little electric pensile, and restippled the areas that I removed wood from. Some areas I did not add stippling, I left it smooth. I still need to oil it, haven't done that yet.

6004FAS, .177.1650259527.JPG

2.) I both removed wood, AND added filler (epoxy) to my Ocelot grip (below). Some areas were too small, some areas were not comfortable. Mainly the middle finger area, under the trigger guard. I just removed the finish on the area of the middle finger area, then added an epoxy filler to make the surface more even with the rest of my fingers, grip diameter wise. You can't see the amount of material that I "removed". but it was a lot ! Especially on the "wing" where the heal of the palm rests on the left side of the grip. It's now about 1/2 the height that it once was. I also removed a fair amount of material at the bottom of my hand area, and at mi index, or trigger finger area, so that my index finger was more comfortable while on the trigger. I painted it with automotive "trunk" paint.

NOTE - I could...have used a wood filler, then restained and cleared the grip, but I like the roughness of the trunk paint. It adds overall grip.

Ocelot.1650259813.JPG

Kalibrgun Ocelot .22.1650260033.JPG

THEN...there's my rifle grip that I molded to fit...MY...hand. It's a plastic grip that's a very simple shape. I wanted it to "fill" my hand. I have some "Marine" epoxy that allows a "fitting" like this to be done. I added the epoxy, then wetted my hand, then gripped the gun as if I were ready to shoot. After I was done, I found I needed to change it a little. I removed some of the epoxy, recoated it (see the two colors of epoxy), then placed my hand again, only in a slightly different position and gripped it like I was ready to shoot. Then...just let the epoxy cure. So now, every time that I put my hand on the grip, it goes into place the same...every time. I had the trunk paint from the Ocelot work, so I painted this grip with it too.

I actually did two of these rifle grips. One for my RTI Prophet Compact, and one for my Impact.

FX Maverick, Vert. modified grip.1650260415.JPG

FX Maverick, modified grip.1650260684.JPG

So again, yes, you can do a lot if you want to. I think that there are others on this site that have also modified their grips to better fit their hands.

It's better to fit the grip to the hand, rather than modify the hand to fit the grip !!!

Mike

I think it's my choice of words that ups the confusion here, sorry about that. Simply the grip on the Bandit has too much volume for my medium sized hands .. I need to reduce the volume in order get my fingers all the way round the handle to apply a standard grip.

Your stories is very inspirational, I was contemplating going at it with some different grind sanding papers with an electric drill but I obviously need some more tools if I wanna go about it right. The Marine epoxy part looks real neat too, I like that idea a lot.. Of course the more you modify the more weight/balance comes into play as well (single handed precision shooting).

Good stuff, good stuff, thanks :).

Smith -

Be sure that you remove material from the correct end (front or back). Even the sides, (left vs right).

I've both added to, and removed from only one side. Like the rifle grip above. I added epoxy material to the right side, and part of the front only. Nothing on the left side.

Front or rear. If you like the feel of either the front or rear part of the current grip, you may "only" want to remove material from the "other" side / end. Or yes, a little from both the front and rear. Like me...finger grip locations are "never" a good fit for me. So, when I modify a grip, that normally the first place I start with the rotary file.

Don't worry too much about the weight. You will be removing very little actual weight from the grip, you'll never notice it. Wood is not very dense for feel-able change in weight.

And yeah, a good rotary file in your drill motor, is a good place to start with tools. Maybe two different diameters, depending on what changes you will be making.

Mike

When I got my Bandit, I hogged off a lot of the backstrap to move my hand forward so I could get the right trigger position. Then I sanded the sides to thin it up some to accommodate my hand size and kept trying out the grip again and again to see how close I was. 

Oh, you got the bandit as well? What strikes me about the grip is how broad it is looking at it from behind, its really quite massive, so yea, my first go-to part for filing down would be the sides... massively.