• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Field target missouri

Any field target going on in Missouri

I live near St. Louis.....to my knowledge, there's no FT activity anywhere in the state of MO.

I've been beating all the local bushes to find folks that might be interested in shooting some field target in this neck of the woods. I'd be willing to do some legwork to find a place to hold an event, perhaps even on a regular basis. That being said, I'd be far more motivated if I had 5 or 6 people that I knew would show up, if we could pull it off. 

Where in MO are you? Have you shot FT before or are you just getting started?

-Steve

Here is some info on our Field Target matches, emails and the Oklahoma City Gun Clubs website https://www.okcgunclub.org/

Air Gun Field Target Matches

c7d5e6b71ba0cc8d26aea44ddecea4b8

Where: Archery Range

When: 3rd Saturday of the month. March – October will be our regular Field Target matches. November, December January and February will be a fun match, weather dependent. Cancellations will be posted on the website & calendar.

Sign and sight-in: 8:00-8:45
Match Start: 9am

Entry fee: $10 per shooter includes nonmembers
OKCGC and AAFTA Rules apply.

Contact Info:

​General Match Questions: [email protected]

Thank you!!

Randy

My best tip for you guy's is to start your own club instead of waiting for someome else to do it. Your first step is finding property. It won't be easy. Even when you do find a place to set up a course and hold matches your attendance may be low the first few years so don't be disappointed. 

Of course the option to sit back and wait for someone else to do something is always there. Good luck.

My home club Ft. Osage Muzzleloaders has been shooting benchrest air rifles for a few years and a couple of guys are interested in starting a Field Target course, we do have the room and are located Southeast of Kansas City http://mocobps.com/FOML.htm. The big problem will be getting some help. There is probably not one muzzleloader guy that would lift a finger to help and the benchrest air rifles guys don't care either. So there we are it is what it is. If anybody has any bright ideas let me know.

RB

My home club Ft. Osage Muzzleloaders has been shooting benchrest air rifles for a few years and a couple of guys are interested in starting a Field Target course, we do have the room and are located Southeast of Kansas City http://mocobps.com/FOML.htm. The big problem will be getting some help. There is probably not one muzzleloader guy that would lift a finger to help and the benchrest air rifles guys don't care either. So there we are it is what it is. If anybody has any bright ideas let me know.

RB

Hi RB....

If you have a location, that's the biggest part of the battle, I think. The next thing to be conquered is buying targets. My understanding is that Air Venturi offers a discount on the 'rat on the run' target to startup clubs. I believe you have to buy a minimum of 10 for the discounted pricing. Has anyone in your group shot a match anywhere yet?

I'm in St. Louis MO. Right now, the closest club to me is BAGA up in Wisconsin. The 2 Tennessee clubs are just a bit further. This season I'm hoping to:

-Finish setting up my TX to shoot the WFTF class (almost ready...still sorting out the hamster/butt hook situation)

-Visit either or both the WI and TN clubs to see how the matches are run....how courses are set up....etc.

-Work on finding a place for matches here in STL.

If you guys decide to host a match, I'd make the drive to shoot with you, for sure. I have a local air gun friend who's getting interested in the FT thing as well....I'm betting hie would come with. 

Thanks for the reply sps3172, we have one person really interested and he said that he would buy the targets. But it will be a while before it would happen if ever, first off we would have to get permission from the club and it is a muzzle loader first club. No one that I know has ever been to a Field Target match, the closest to me would be Oklahoma City Gun club. If Berryville would start up that would be closer and I have been there many times shooting muzzle loader matches. That is a great range and friendly people too, a very nice place to visit. If anything gets started I will be sure to post on here.

I might talk my friend into a trip to OKC gun club to see just how a match is run. How any people does it take to run a match? I know that there are 60 shots to a match and you can use thirty targets, Do you shoot 30 targets once and walk through again or can you shoot the same target twice and then move on to the next target? Do you have to have a score keeper on each target? If it takes more than two or three people to run a match then we probably will never have one unless we can find some new people that would be interested in helping and shooting. 

Thanks for the reply sps3172, we have one person really interested and he said that he would buy the targets. But it will be a while before it would happen if ever, first off we would have to get permission from the club and it is a muzzle loader first club. No one that I know has ever been to a Field Target match, the closest to me would be Oklahoma City Gun club. If Berryville would start up that would be closer and I have been there many times shooting muzzle loader matches. That is a great range and friendly people too, a very nice place to visit. If anything gets started I will be sure to post on here.

I might talk my friend into a trip to OKC gun club to see just how a match is run. How any people does it take to run a match? I know that there are 60 shots to a match and you can use thirty targets, Do you shoot 30 targets once and walk through again or can you shoot the same target twice and then move on to the next target? Do you have to have a score keeper on each target? If it takes more than two or three people to run a match then we probably will never have one unless we can find some new people that would be interested in helping and shooting. 

RB,

You've probably already seen this but in case you hadn't, I wanted to point out a thread here about a group in Mass. going through the process of creating a new course. I would expect lots of good info in that thread for folks in our boat.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/a-new-course-being-born/?referrer=1

-Steve

Thanks for referencing my thread Steve. 

Brink, you only need 2-3 people to have a 60 shot match. aafta.org has a very good explanation and outline for general match and course building guidelines. I believe that it's a good place to start.

As for scoring each shooter gets a scorecard, to be scored by their squadmate. On a ten lane course you would have three targets per lane,. You will shoot each target twice, them move to the next target, finishing the lane having taken six shots. 

Not wanting to overwhelm you with details I'll leave it here. 

Oh, a reminder. Many gunvlubs, and their members show little if any respect for airguns. If you have a club interested do not let it go. 

Hello All, 

Also interested in Field Target. I live near Springfield, MO and have access to 3 private farms that I would host a match at.

Marshfield, MO, Rogersville, MO, Sparta, MO

I had started an Airgun Club with another local member, but finding airgunners that are interested in getting together for a shoot is a tough one.

Let me know what you all think. May get together sometime soon and walk one of the properties to talk about how to setup.

- Casey 

Hey Casey! I saw your other post and thought I'd hit two KZ's with one shot.

There's at least four of us in the Tulsa OK area that would travel to your location to shoot FT. We drive to OKC on a monthly basis and sometimes drive to Arlington Texas to shoot with those guys down there. 

We aren't in need of a location to do casual shooting (sorry) as we have a couple of places to do that but would be truly interested in shooting some organized Field Target.

Keep me up to speed on what's going on in your area. 

Reactions: CurtisNelson
Hey Casey! I saw your other post and thought I'd hit two KZ's with one shot.

There's at least four of us in the Tulsa OK area that would travel to your location to shoot FT. We drive to OKC on a monthly basis and sometimes drive to Arlington Texas to shoot with those guys down there.

We aren't in need of a location to do casual shooting (sorry) as we have a couple of places to do that but would be truly interested in shooting some organized Field Target.

Keep me up to speed on what's going on in your area.