• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Field target harness

1685751708421.png
1685751708421.png
What about this

Yeah I thought about trying some of my tree stand harness and just extending the straps to go around my knees. Idk
That might work🤔
I've seen some cheap "strap" type styles of stuff....gunna have to go see if I have any extra...and if I can remember what they are actually for(sold as)**I buy stuff and use it for purposes other than initially intended 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: drsquall
The original "harness" was adapted from a suitcase strap. It was a long, synthetic strap designed to be tightened around an over-stuffed suitcase to keep it from breaking open when abused by baggage handlers. The same strap could be passed around the shooter's back and around his shins directly under the knees. It was tightened by a sliding, synthetic buckle allowing the shooter to more easily acquire and maintain the over-arm or off -the-knee FT position.

Fwiw, the first person I can recall using a "strap" was Robert Frtederick, but many others adoped it around the same time.

This was back in the early "90s when rules were deliberately flexible to encourage innovation in a relatively new sport. The "strap" was allowed in the Open class and evol;ved into today's harness. The BOG under the leadership of the Kirkendoll brothers, Gerry Thomas, Rodney Boyce, Roz Sumpter, Brad Troyer, the Shmizus', and other early members intentionally minimized rule making to allow our sport to grow naturally. AAFTA was intentionally designed to be unincorporated so as not to be affiliated with the laws or rules of any jurisdiction or group of people - especially the NRA. It was intended to accomodate all people and - remarkably - still does so.

Folks interested could try a "strap" to get a feel for it. There are no design criteria, so creativity may result in a superior product. Yea!

Yes um DIY these day's. I got away with a tight hunting vest and adjustable straps taken from various pack bags attached. Easy to source once you figure ou what you want. A back brace would be nice to start with. You want to have adjustments on your leg straps and likely between your knees but i general will not be adjusting once set.
Maybe you can pull more up on the "Vonbrink Harness" not sure how many of us are let from then ( and it hasnt even been a log time) . All sproting good store stuff, I liked Goodwill/salvation army stuff. No matter if you can sew you are golden, SO many option on what to use. Fly fishing tube end caps come to mind.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/yellow/my-von-brink-harness-and-bum-bag-not-for-sale-t541030.html

John