Tuning Fiddling with the valve

I watched Bob's video in which he says to tune to a one-hole 30 yd group, then go for 100, and if not good at 100, adjust the valve, and if no better, the hammer or regulator etc. What struck me most about it was the idea of using the valve adjuster to find the best barrel harmonic in an Impact. I'd been doing pretty well at what passes for long range in my backyard, 70 yards with H&N 23 gr .218 slugs, with 0.5" 5 shot groups the expected, 0.4" very common, and once 0.35", in the original stock pellet liner 700 mm. But of course I wanted better, so I bought a Superior (not heavy) liner, polished and installed it and set to work. Got it to just about equal my prior groups after about 200 tuning shots, then groups opened up, so I cleaned the bore that night. This AM, shooting over a chrono while re-seasoning, I found my velocities had risen a bit, from the previous 896 average to 910, but with ES only 7. Knowing from experience that a tight ES by no means guarantees accuracy, I fired five at 70 yd and got this, in still air:

valve1.1612910835.jpg

Sheesh. So I closed the valve a 16th. Next five:

valve2.1612910888.jpg

OK, progress. Closed it another 16th:

valve3.1612910955.jpg

The 905 fps is just a guess, since I haven't chronographed it yet. Heretofore I'd only adjusted the valve to fine-tune velocity and ES. Guess I should stop caring about ES.

Wow, that is a nice group:) Just one question: I have seen it is advisable to make 3-5 dryfire shots everytime you adjust the impact, to let the springs in the hammer and valve settle, while fine tuning. Do you do that, or do you just shoot slugs right away?

I know when adjusting the valve adjuster one are actually twitching the spring some, as it is already under tension, so to me it make sence to take a few dryfire shots to let the twitch dissapear, before loading the mag.

Tor, I always fire a few after any adjustment before going for group. I don't dry fire though, thinking that I want to put the system through the same forces as firing a slug. For hammer changes it's usually three or four, and for valve adjustment one or two.

All groups were fired with a single loader. That's all I've used for quite awhile for tuning. In fact, I haven't used a magazine in months. If this tune holds up I will test with mags. This AM at 15 degrees but no wind I fired two rounds to see whether zero had changed. Holes touching, zero unchanged.

Tor, I always fire a few after any adjustment before going for group. I don't dry fire though, thinking that I want to put the system through the same forces as firing a slug. For hammer changes it's usually three or four, and for valve adjustment one or two.

All groups were fired with a single loader. That's all I've used for quite awhile for tuning. In fact, I haven't used a magazine in months. If this tune holds up I will test with mags. This AM at 15 degrees but no wind I fired two rounds to see whether zero had changed. Holes touching, zero unchanged.

Ok, thx. Seems like a good idea using single loader also, so every shot get exactly the same feeding, and to rule out other factors.