• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FFP vs SFP: reality vs fantasy? Do many of us really shoot over 100yrds?

I recently got an LCS SK19 in .25 cal and have been getting used to the gun before getting a quality scope. For now I just slapped a UTG on it I had laying around and it works pretty good. The UTG has a terrible eye-box and the glass is average or worse. I have 2 TAC Vector Taurus FFP scopes on my FX Impact MkII and Dreamline Saber Tac but, not sure I will ever really need the capabilities they offer. Where I live there are rarely situations where I can get an ethical and safe shot off over 100 yrds. I love to watch the Youtube vids Matt, Rolf and Gerhard do but, for the most of us is it even realistic?

If you were going to chose a fixed focus, 10x range scope with a $400USD budget, what would be you’re choice?

Thanks!

Yes, I think lots of us out west shoot over 100 yards on a pretty regular basis. If the Nashville in your name has anything to do with wooded Tennessee, I can see where you're coming from though. I grew up in southeastern Oklahoma, LOTS of brush and lots of close shots for just about any kind of hunting. Back where I grew up, the majority of "long-range" shooting or hunting was done in power line cuts. The longer distances just didn't exist much.

As for your second question, the SWFA SS fixed power scopes are pretty good for a couple hundred bucks. Not too heavy, not too big. Reliable turrets and pretty good reticles. The glass isn't great but that's kinda germane to the price point. You can easily spend $300 bucks on a much lesser scope than the SWFA SS fixed powers. 

And if you do shoot 100+, why? Just for fun?

I do shoot out to 100 yards on the calmest of days. For fun and to see what’s possible. I have taken pigeons regularly out to 85 yards. The bulk of my shooting, targets and plinking, is from 40 to 64 yards. I’m blessed in that I can shoot out to 100 plus yards on my property.

And if you do shoot 100+, why? Just for fun?

Cuz at anything less than 100 yards I hit everything I shoot at most of the time and just end up with one ragged hole in targets and that's no fun. It's good to miss now and then and to stretch things out to learn wind and elevation doping. Yup, I do it just for run no competition or hunting involved.

Although of late I just changed caliber from .25 to .22 so have been tuning at 50 yards. One ragged hole now so soon out to 100 again.

Just don't get the SWFA SS fixed in 20x. 16x *may* be OK, but stay away from the 20x.

I will never buy another SWFA scope because of the problem (lighting conditions had to be PERFECT and they never are) with the SWFA SS 20x fixed. An honorable company would not even sell that POS.

Oh, and as for the Alpha 6 4.5-27... The glass is the ONLY thing it has going for it.

Non-repeatable tracking. Spongy/mushy turrets. Waddling glass when trying to focus. Internals are just not up to the glass.

I have an Athlon Argos (1st gen) 8-34x56 that has decent glass and MUCH BETTER tracking and is FFP, but only focuses to 15 yards at the lowest mag. One day I will be able to use it, but not now. When I did use it, I was doing head shots on Chipmunks at 60 yards.

To each their own and good luck to you with yours!

Thanks so much for the thoughtful replies. I love my 2 FFP Vector Taurus scopes and I do like the FFP feature of the sight changing size dependent on zoom and maintains constant MOA or MIL features which seems to be almost useless on SFP scopes. I’ve been leaning towards the Veyron and SWFA but, when I try to access the SWFA site I keep getting a “403 Forbidden” message.

I want a ffp for my .457 texan. I just keep my sfp on a set magnification for now so my Mildots are accurate. I can shoot 130 yards for now until I get an upgraded scope. 

On my hatsan at 44 10 in .25 I have a sfp but honestly never need to take shots beyond 80 yards and the gun is a flat shooter so I am happy with the scope that is on it. 

I am looking at the athlon argos for my texan. That or the vortex diamondback tactical ffp. 

I recently got an LCS SK19 in .25 cal and have been getting used to the gun before getting a quality scope. For now I just slapped a UTG on it I had laying around and it works pretty good. The UTG has a terrible eye-box and the glass is average or worse. I have 2 TAC Vector Taurus FFP scopes on my FX Impact MkII and Dreamline Saber Tac but, not sure I will ever really need the capabilities they offer. Where I live there are rarely situations where I can get an ethical and safe shot off over 100 yrds. I love to watch the Youtube vids Matt, Rolf and Gerhard do but, for the most of us is it even realistic?

If you were going to chose a fixed focus, 10x range scope with a $400USD budget, what would be you’re choice?

Thanks!

SWFA 10x40 I have three of them. I like them. Some have said their quality control is down. That has not been my experience.

I have two SWFA Classic rifle scopes in the fixed 10x and 16x magnifications. They are light weight, pretty compact and have a lot of elevation adjustment at 40 mils and 30mils respectively. Also the clicks are more positive than a lot of scopes out there in the same price range and it is a rugged scope. One thing to note is the exit pupil which i think is also know as the eye box for the 10x is good at 4.2 but only 2.6 for the 16x and terrible for the 20x at 2.1 From what I read for people that are older, eye boxes rated less than 3.5 are harder to use. The open diamond shape mil aim points are easy to see in clear blue sky situation but in dark and busy background can be hard to see. If the 10x fits your situation that would be the one to get in the SWFA scope. Bill

I agree. I shot a rabbit this afternoon and was trying my FFP TAC Taurus which can’t do very well under 30 yrds and the rabbit happened to be that distance. Took the 1st shot and watched the ground about 10’ past him explode. Figured the holdover from that and got him with the 2nd. My dogs were grateful he froze after the 1st shot. They love boiled rabbit.