• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Ffp - Sfp Scope Advice

Hi guys I was wondering which is the best to use for airgunning first focal plane or second focal plane. I do have a couple of good scopes IE mtc viper pro and Hawke airmax sf. But noticed alot of the guys are now buying first focal plane scopes. So I would like to know with me maybe wanting another scope should I get a first focal plane scope or just stick to my second focal plane scopes. I was may e thinking on the Aztec emerald sf or the discovery first focal plane scope. Any opinions welcome. 

is not about if SSF is best than FFP or viceversa, is what best fits your needs

Pro on FFP: your POI do not change when you change magnification

Con on FFP: The reticle will be too small with less mag and too big with more mag

Pro on SFP: The reticle will be always the same, usually less expensive than FFP

Con on SFP: You need make holdover/under calcs when you change magnification 

Sadly is not the answer a starter wants (been there), I had to try both to decide which one was best for me (FFP, and then I sold my sfp...it was a great scope the Aztec as well) but I have friends that hate FFP (great shooters too)

I have two FFP BSA Tactical scopes.

I put the first one on my .25 Marauder...

Last year I was sinvited to helpclean out some Alfalfa eating ground squirrels. The other shooters had their favorite hunting rifles and some 17HMR rifles. We shot HFT style off the buckets and using bi-pods.

This was the first time I had used the .25 for hunting.

The squirrels were at ranges of 10 yards to way out there. I put the BSA scope on 14X and left it there.

When at high magnification the reticle gets very large which takes some getting used to.

I had a drop card printed out but I did not use it. The shooting was too fast and furious to bother checking for holdovers, etc.

I just shot and watched where the pellet hit. If I missed (rarely, BTW) I adjusted and shot again. I have shot the .25 at all ranges up to 100 yards so I do not need a drop card to know what the pellet will do. (Wind becomes more of a factor in wide open spaces..)

I do not have a drop card for my .22-250s and I shoot prairie rats out to 600 yards.

But as stated, if you are shooting close and your drop card says to hold so many dots up at 14X, by reducing the power to 4X, you will still hold those same amount of dots, albeit the reticle will be much smaller and may be harder to see/use.

On my SFP scopes, if I reduce the power, than I have to do some arithmetic to determine which dot to use..

Try one if you can before buying one.

This is just my opinion, and it's worth what you are paying. FFP scopes are popular, but not the best for all needs. I find that for target shooting, I prefer the fixed reticle size of the SFP. The FFP has an advantage in field shooting, where distances vary, since you can range find at any power, and, your holdover will be the same dot or hash mark at any power. For most target situations, I know the distance, so the FFP adds no value. Plus, with most FFP scopes, the reticle is border-line too coarse at high magnification for precision shot placement. For my uses, FFP is a hunting scope. But frankly, at most air rifle distances, I do as well (or poorly), simply using holdover with a SFP scope. 

I prefer FFP however I’m also comfortable with SFP. For me the biggest downside of FFP is when you are in its low magnification range the reticle is too small making it harder to differentiate its markings. When you use the FFP at its higher magnification the reticle is quite easy to see and the problems associated with the lower magnification are no more. 

If you tend to shoot mostly using the higher ranges of your scopes I would stick with FFP. It does take a little time to get used to it but once you do it’s advantages will help make you a more consistent marksman. It’s no magic you still need to send a lot of lead down range to get there.

I’ve been using an Aztec Emerald 5.5x25x50 FFP, IR scope. Prior to that it’s been SFP scopes. The opinions that the reticle gets too thick at high magnification is not true of the Emerald. You get a nice MOA dot, with 1 MOA of clearance all around. Also at lower magnification say anything under 9x just use the center point of the reticle. Trying to see the MOA dots at low mag is trying at best, a little holdover gets you there. If I’m using my Emerald at 5.5 it’s because targets are close and I don’t need to use the MOA dots.

I just bought my first FFP scope, a Sightmark Citadel 3-18x50 LR, and so far am very impressed. At higher powers, the reticle is more than fine enough to precisely aim at distant targets, and it is nice to be able to crank up and down on the magnification and your holdovers stay the same. I think it is going to work out just fine on the ground squirrel menace.

I can tell you that the reticle can be hard to see in low light, or against a dark background, so I highly recommend getting a FFP with a lit reticle.

Justin

I think the real answer is this: regardless of whether you choose FFP or SFP for your needs, do not every buy a scope with mixed units again-period! In other words: if the reticle has 'mil dots' then the turrets should NOT be making changes in MOA. This is the most confusing mess ever and really causes a LOT of complications!

If you want a SFP scope: buy one that has a reticle marked in MIL and turrets that adjust in MIL (or make them both MOA-I don't care). Then, when your SFP scope is 'zoomed' to the calibrated magnification, your hold points will be spot on and you can 'read' (in other words 'measure' how far off your shots are simply by reading it using the reticle) and make the precise adjustments by dialing in the compensation on the turrets (if it's off by 0.5 MIL, or 0.7 MIL based on what you 'measure' using your reticle at the correct magnification, then dial in 0.5 or 0.7 MIL on the turrets and you're spot on).

Totally simplifies things and you no longer need to run to a stupid app every time you're off target.

From there, it's your choice whether you want the benefits of FFP or SFP based on what others have stated above.

Hope that helps....

Sean

All good information so far. I would only add that in my experience, I usually run my 4-12 FFP at 6-8 power for my normal hunting ranges. Rarely will I push to 10+ power, so the larger apparent size of the reticle is not an issue for me most times. I find the usefulness of a larger field of view more beneficial that being able to decide which whisker I want to hit with the pellet, as well as the more forgiving eye relief of the mid range zoom power. Most of my shots are around 30-50-ish yards with rare shots over 100 yards.

If you hunt FFP hands down, if I added up all the money I have in scopes I could buy 3 new premium PCPs. Owned many over 1000.00 and FFP is all I own now for PCPs. The ballistics of a pellet are not friendly to longer range high magnification scopes in SFP like a 8-32. If you're talking 3-9 you wont see the benefits. Bigger the zoom range the more a FFP helps make life easier. But like I stated paper ain't fur or feather, I wish I never put a SFP scope on any PCP for hunting/pesting. It is a personal preference though, some think a Yugo was a great car too. Me not so much lol. 

My best advice is to try both. We often go into these decisions thinking we are going to pick the perfect one, but I can tell you that you won’t know until you try it. That is what I thought, and now 20 scopes or more later, I still keep selling and trying. 

My personal preference is FFP for several reasons. I usually keep my scope fairly maxed, and I like a thicker reticle. I personally don’t think the reticle gets too big. I have shot with a S&B 50x FFP scope at 50yds 1/4” targets and it doesn’t come close to hiding the target. That being said, I do think the reticle can be unusable at lower mag, but I don’t buy FFP scopes where I can’t see with thenrane I am using. (pick the right tool for the job) I also like that I know the holdover regardless of the magnification. This can be important, because atmospheric conditions don’t always cooperate and you have to compensate by lowering magnification and don’t have to recalculate anything. Christmas tree style reticles are usually more prevalent in FFP scopes if that is what you like.

That being said, I do still like SFP scopes. They are much cheaper when trying to buy high magnification scopes. I like a 50x scope, and it is much cheaper to buy a SFP 50x scope than an FFP one. I usually don’t like the reticles as much because they are usually fairly thin. I don’t like fairly plain reticles though, and that is usually all you will find in SFP (plain for some holdoffs around 1MOA each).

if you are shooting fixed distances (think bench), a SFP scope may be better. If shooting many distances and needing to figure out on the fly, a FFP might be better.

Figure our how you will be shooting, what reticle you like (super important), how much zoom you want, how much you are willing to spend, and go from there.

Really good feedback there guys I really appreciate it. At what price are the Aztec emerald ffp scopes in the US. Would they ship to the UK, has I have looked on the net in the UK and they are asking £400 but not for sale here yet till mid 2019. If anyone knows of any US importers that would ship to the UK. Let me know the price over your side and if they would ship to the UK, ok guys thx