FFP Scopes General Question

Bought my first FFP scopes including Anhlon 6-24x 50 and now an Arken ELP-4 4- 16. Both depend heavily on parallax adjustment to focus at various powers. Never had this issue with my SFP scopes. Sorry if stupid question but is this the norm with FFP scopes? Any any knowledge offered much appreciated!
I think of it more of an "I can dial it in even MORE" feature; very useful when conditions vary

Reactions: Venddoc
My FFP scopes do not act that way - but I don't have your brands.

IMHO, focus the ocular ring before you worry about parallax. If your eye is struggling to focus on two things at once (crosshair AND taget) you will get wildly different results and eye strain that will kill your repeatability.
Yes, know about ocular adjustment and know how to initially set at any power but that's where the difference begins with my 2 FFP Scopes. Parallax adjustments much more critical on my FFP scopes compared to SFP. If that's normal no problem, just reaching out for more knowledge on the subject

There are two characteristics that greatly influence depth of field or sensitivity of the parallax adjustment.

1) magnification
2) objective lens size

Don't ask my how or why because I am not an engineer but these are the two main things that dictate depth of field of a scope. At least that's how I understand. I could very well be wrong but I don't know that FFP vs SFP has anything whatsoever to do with depth of field. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see how having the reticle in a different focal plane would effect depth of field.

As others have mentioned, setting up the ocular lens correctly to focus the reticle to your eye is always the first thing to do. Wherever that ocular setting is it does influence the parallax range and relationship of the markings on the knob/scope but again...I don't see how the ocular setting could significantly effect depth of field.(Once again I could be wrong I'M NOT AN ENGINEER)

One of my favorite hunting scopes is a 3-9x33 Leupold EFR because it has a really large depth of field...meaning I can set it to 6X magnification, the parallax to 30 yards or almost where ever(although I have found it better to stay on the high side on the parallax adjustment, it seems like the reticle gets out of focus more quickly when the parallax adjustment gets on the low side), and I can still very clearly see the reticle and the image at almost any distance. The low magnification and small objective lens size(33mm) make this possible. Perfect scope for very flat shooting high power rifles by the way! The SFP duplex reticle and large depth of field make it KISS.

This is why I like for a scope to have at least a 6X magnification on the bottom end. If you need to see something really close it still works...

This is why LVPO's have such a wide depth of field...1-6X is a common mag range for them and the image is relatively clear at all magnifications even with a fixed parallax because they have such small objective lens...20-28mm generally. KISS

What I've found is that scopes with objective lens sizes in the 40mm's...40mm, 42mm, 44mm are all common sizes really don't require parallax adjustment for a relatively clear image at less than 8X magnification. For a hunting/pesting airgun that has a an effective range of about 50 yards and doesn't require high magnification it is really hard to beat the 3-9x33 Leupold EFR. Leave it at 6X for a good magnification for hunting and forget about having to adjust the scope. One caveat, the reticle...the duplex reticle is only good for your PBR and Leupold didn't give us a tactical style turret. If Leupold would give us a good reticle with holdovers in this scope that were correct at 6X...WOW. Still, at 9X this scope does need parallax adjustment for the image to stay clear and the reticle crisp. It's amazing how precise you can be out to 50 yards with a crisp, clear, quality 9X scope. Again, Leupold dropped the ball bigtime with the turrets and reticle...but there is something to be said for a mid-power and narrow objective scope for the hunter/pester.

On the flip side of all this is that sometimes a large objective lens is desirable for the narrow depth of field. You can then use the parallax knob as a ranging tool with fairly good accuracy.

I have not noticed any difference in the need for parallax adjustment between my FFP and SFP scopes. I generally prefer to buy SFP scopes because it is safer that I will be able to use them at 6X where I like to leave the scope when hunting. The reticle can be too thick on some FFP scopes when the power is turned down. I know the dots or hash marks for holdover change when the power is changed on my SFP scopes. Rarely are they actually mils (only at one power). I make up stikers I print on my printer and put in the ocular lens flip up cover for the holdover and just put the "ticks" for 6X (hunting) and 16X (targets).

If you have FFP that are really picky about parallax please let the HFT and hopeful HFT shooters know. As noted above, scopes that snap into focus only when the parallax is right are desirable when you want to use them as a rangefinder.

I have not noticed any difference in the need for parallax adjustment between my FFP and SFP scopes. I generally prefer to buy SFP scopes because it is safer that I will be able to use them at 6X where I like to leave the scope when hunting. The reticle can be too thick on some FFP scopes when the power is turned down. I know the dots or hash marks for holdover change when the power is changed on my SFP scopes. Rarely are they actually mils (only at one power). I make up stikers I print on my printer and put in the ocular lens flip up cover for the holdover and just put the "ticks" for 6X (hunting) and 16X (targets).

If you have FFP that are really picky about parallax please let the HFT and hopeful HFT shooters know. As noted above, scopes that snap into focus only when the parallax is right are desirable when you want to use them as a rangefinder.
I think you wanted to say that the reticle can be too thin on FFP scopes when the power is turned down.

Yes, know about ocular adjustment and know how to initially set at any power but that's where the difference begins with my 2 FFP Scopes. Parallax adjustments much more critical on my FFP scopes compared to SFP. If that's normal no problem, just reaching out for more knowledge on the subject
yes it's normal and it is a very helpful feature... for figuring out distance and clarity. unless you have a "set parallax"

Yes, I misworded my first post on this thread. The issue as I see it on FFP scopes is you either have a reticle that is too thick on high power or one that is too thin on low power. Having the value of the mil dots stay the same is nice but it doesn't outweigh the practical inability to use a major part of the scopes magnification range.

Reactions: peaceful_ruler
Yes, I misworded my first post on this thread. The issue as I see it on FFP scopes is you either have a reticle that is too thick on high power or one that is too thin on low power. Having the value of the mil dots stay the same is nice but it doesn't outweigh the practical inability to use a major part of the scopes magnification range.
Depends on the reticle...if its a standard reticle yes but the use of a donut around the center mitigates this issue. I can effectively use my 3-18x50 FFP Optika6 at 3X due to a 1 mil donut around the center that is very visible at all magnifications. The 2-12x42 FFP Helos has a very similar reticle.

Reactions: JungleShooter
I have found objective focus scopes are not as sensitive to yardage changes as side focus scopes. I can put my objective focus scope on 40 yards and everything from close up to 55 yards is good. Not so with my side focus
My guess is that it because your objective focus scope has a 40mm objective, am I right? Style of adjustment should have little to no effect on depth of field. There may be a different rate of adjustment with an objective focus as in it adjusts more slowly than a side focus but the depth of field at any given point shouldn't be any different.