FFP or SFP ?

I shoot primarily chipmunks and other small critters about that size with a .177 cal spring piston airgun. Most of my shots are 20 – 35 yards. It’s rare for me to shoot beyond that, though I do occasionally engage small critters as close as 2 or 3 yards.

I use a 3x9 power scope. I keep it at 9x, and only ever reduce the power level for very close shots where it is just not practical to keep it at 9x.

I’d like to have more magnification. I’m thinking of a 6x24 power scope. But which should I get – an FFP or SFP?

I like the idea of an FFP. I like the simplicity of it, that the holdover points remain the same throughout all magnifications.

But would it be practical for me to crank the magnification up on an FFP to 24x to engage a chipmunk at 35 yards? Often, all I can see is its head. Would the crosshairs become too thick to be practical in such situations?

The price difference between an FFP vs SFP is not really an issue in this case.

Advice would be greatly appreciated!

Reactions: AmosBurton
I shoot primarily chipmunks and other small critters about that size with a .177 cal spring piston airgun. Most of my shots are 20 – 35 yards. It’s rare for me to shoot beyond that, though I do occasionally engage small critters as close as 2 or 3 yards.

I use a 3x9 power scope. I keep it at 9x, and only ever reduce the power level for very close shots where it is just not practical to keep it at 9x.

I’d like to have more magnification. I’m thinking of a 6x24 power scope. But which should I get – an FFP or SFP?

I like the idea of an FFP. I like the simplicity of it, that the holdover points remain the same throughout all magnifications.

But would it be practical for me to crank the magnification up on an FFP to 24x to engage a chipmunk at 35 yards? Often, all I can see is its head. Would the crosshairs become too thick to be practical in such situations?

The price difference between an FFP vs SFP is not really an issue in this case.

Advice would be greatly appreciated!
Field of view is the issue at 24X. You might not be able to find that varmint at 30 yards. More magnification, less field of view. As for FFP or SFP generally SFP is best for hunting small game in shaded woods and so on as at 6X on a FFP you will not even be able to see the crosshair unless you are in bright conditions. A FFP scope has a very fine, extremely fine crosshair at low magnification and gets bigger with higher magnification although never to the point it is ever bad. SFP is what it is at any magnification.
You can look on Chairgun and find the recommended sight in distance for your rifle at your scope height and velocity and for a spring piston it will always be from around 38 to 44 yards. This will give you a direct POI from around 12 yards to 49 or 50 yards. So really for ordinary small game hunting no hold over required, just point and shoot.
As I get older and my eyes get more tired I have replaced some really good scopes with SFP Leapers. I can see the reticle in those where as with such as a Hawk Airmax the reticle loves to just vanish.
So I would advise SFP maybe up to 16 power, beyond that at close range field of view becomes and issue. Pick two magnifications you like and study and learn the shot cards for those and with a little practice is becomes second nature.
Cheers
Kit

Thanks, guys.

With my ballistics, the only time hold over or under comes into play is usually when I am shooting at an angle, up or down. Otherwise, I don't usually have to worry about that very much.

Unfortunately, I live in the mountains, and that does become an issue sometimes. I missed one yesterday because of that! The pellet went right over its head. Sad.

So, given that, it sounds like SFP would be just as good, or better, for me?

I'm a real simple guy. I thought the "simplicity" of FFP might be better, but it sounds like I might be mistaken about that. Especially with what @KitCarson16 pointed out about crosshair size at lower magnifications.

I'm thinking I'd probably keep it at ~16 or 18 or so magnification for most use. Just a guess, of course, without actually using one.

So, do I take it that the general consensus is that SFP would be better for me?

CG-JSB-830.png

Chairgun as you pictured you will find in the toolbox of the program what is called the ultimate sight in range or something like that. This will give you the best sight in range for any particular rifle based on scope height and velocity and pellet weight. Very useful tool. Also if you do not wish to set up targets from 10 yards to 50 yards every five yards and work out a range card, what chairgun presents will be quite accurate. Very useful tool and very accurate provided you are accurate with inputs required. It has range cards listed for any magnification you wish. Plenty accurate for everyday general use. There are also reticle print outs you can just stick inside the rear flip up cap if you use those.
A hint for finding small targets and or small game with high magnification is to first sight along the top of the scope and more or less just instinctively aim at the target and then drop your eye to the scope. Greatly speeds up finding small targets in a small field of view.
Kit

Reactions: beerthief
Some years ago... my prejudice was that the FFP scopes were HEAVY (all of them). So, a nice lightweight scope “must be SFP”. That was my old-times prejudice.
Please educate me: Are FFP scopes, in general, heavier than SFP?
I bring this to the table, because Dormitionskete hunts, this means he probably walks a LOT with his gun in his hands, and top of that, in the mountains!!!
Thanks.

Yes, and I'm a half-crippled old man, too, in not the best of health, and a flat-lander exiled to these horrible mountains. Whenever I go out, I carry an 11 lb air rifle, my "Mother of All Shooting Sticks", and a small folding stool so I can sit and rest from time to time! It helps for more stable shots, too. So, weight is a factor as well.

Thanks for the question!

Well, I've been looking at these three scopes, and the FFP's are actually lighter!

I hadn't even considered that.