• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FFP or SFP for target shooting out to 75yrds ,

Some factors to consider are...

Your eyes: Seeing the fine reticle at low power on a FFP scope can be hard to do for some. Your eyes will dictate your preference to the fine reticle at low power on any FFP. They are pretty fine at low power. A trick I figured out when buying the FFP to correct the "fine reticle" is to find a scope with even lower power levels than I would use. So I will buy a 3-18 power, so at 6 power the reticle is larger and easily seen well and all my holdover remains constant no matter the magnification.

The reticle size at preferred magnification on the target: The size of the reticle on a FFP scope doesn't change in relation to the target size. So if it is 1/4 MOA center dot or cross hair it will be a precise aiming point, and will always measure 1/4 MOA on target even when zoomed in. Keep in mind if it was a 1.25 MOA dot or cross hair it will obscure and cover a 1" target dot at any magnification. A SFP scope will change the size of the target zooming in, but not the dot or cross hair. And so the dot or cross hair is likely to really oscure the target at low magnification.

And last but not least, either a FFP or a SFP scope can be used for target shooting whether you are only using the center of the reticle and dialing for different distances or holding over with the reticle hash marks: But you must be correct about which of the holdover hash marks you are using on a SFP scope if not on high power because it changes with magnification. If only dialing the top turret for the distance to target on each scope then it doesn't matter (only the preferred magnification and reticle size on target will matter to you) but the math and amount of clicks must be correct for the giving yardage.

Some screenshots of the two scopes on target at high and low power, from Strelok Pro so you can get an idea of how they will look:

Screenshot_20231127-141904.png
Screenshot_20231127-141909.png
Screenshot_20231127-141953.png
Screenshot_20231127-142313~2.png

Last edited:
I do not like ffp scopes but I did buy a Arken EPL-4 in4-16x44 ffp because I normally use 12-14 power for my pesting, so I dont have the reticle getting so small it become useless and annoying,,, old eyes, don't ya know
when I first got into air gunning I went whole hog ffp,,, I've changed,,, do what suits you best, that is why they give us choices

Reactions: Frostbite
If the primary purpose is target shooting…

NEITHER !

Get a fixed magnification scope (won’t matter if the fixed mag scope is FFP or SFP internally).

Sightron SII 36x with target dot reticle. $450 from Scott at Liberty Optics.

I’ve got Arken 6x24s, Athlon 6x24s (including Midas Tac) - FFPs, SFPs.

If you are target shooting at fixed distances - i.e. benchrest shooting - not field target - then treat yourself to a scope designed specifically for that purpose. A fixed magnification scope will be brighter, lighter weight and clearer than a variable magnification optic at anywhere near its price point.

You will use the target rings for your holdover points. If its so windy that your holdover exceeds your outermost ring, than you may have to dial onto the target - or just pack it up when the wind is that bad, lol.

Also, the Sightron SII was designed for .22 rimfire benchrest distances (50, 75, 100 yards) - so it has a lot of focus throw at these closer distances - so you can really focus precisely. At 50 yards, the 36x Sightron not only lets me see my target clearly, I can usually see the texture of the paper that the target is printed on.

-Ed

I like my Arken 6-24 for target shooting but not-so-much for knocking squirrels out of trees. It's combination of a fine reticle with ffp makes 6X pretty unusable. It is OK if the shot is long enough for 10X. But I like my Athlon Talos 6-24 sfp better for squirrels. Entirely usable at 6X. Still works well target shooting at 24X. My Primary Air 4-14 is ffp with a pretty thick reticle. It works fine at 4X but is not-so-great at 14X shooting targets.

It's kind of a "pick your poison" situation IMHO. SFP means you need holdovers at multiple magnifications since they will be different. FFP has consistent hold overs but it is likely one or the other end of the magnification range will be difficult to use for some things.

I prefer FFP as it is a more flexible platform. Good glass and clear, not as clear as SPF but way good enough and the added bonus of changing magnification without a change in POI is priceless when shooting at targets or critters. But as said above, if you rarely change magnification, SPF or fixed is great. I rarely change magnification but when I pest for ground squirrels at long distances over 80yds then a change in magnification is a nice option.

Wow, that is too bad. He did good business for 20 years!

I don't like FFP much as it gives you a tiny little reticle that can be difficult to see on low power when you want to make fast shots at close range and a big reticle at full magnification when you don't want your reticle obscuring the target.

I don't find the variable holdover on a SFP to be an issue. I do my dope sheet and 90% of my long range shooting at full magnification and I have the holdover out to 50 yards memorized in inches rather than dots. It's also easy to convert your holdover in mildots to lower magnification. Say that you're using a 4-16x scope and you have your holdover plotted in dots at 16x. Then at 8x your holdover will be half as much and at 4x 1/4 as much.

Last edited:
I wish I could add more, but I don’t know what else i could say! I have almost replied a few times, and thought I already did. As you can see, scopes are personal and nobody can decide this one but you.

In that mag range, I would rather have FFP. I personally only care for SFP in high magnification where I can get more mag for my money.

Luckily, you have both to try, so let us know how it goes…