• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FFP/Athlon Helos G2 2-12x42 is in hand!

Good times today...

Myself and two friends used the Helos today to shoot on BR50 targets at 10M in offhand. That generous sized center dot on 12x in the reticle enabled all of us to shoot 10's during our first try, it inspires confidence! Our game consists of 3 shots each and we score the X on the target as 11 points if we touch it and 12 points if we completely shoot out the X. We all tied at 31 points each! My point being that this scope makes an excellent one for this purpose which I didn't anticipate when I bought it! The Vulcan 2 is actually a very good offhand gun as well!

I'm going to put this in the Cronus G2 thread too but since you guys brought up that scope here I wanted to mention that I could focus at 11M on 4.5x and see the APRS 6 reticle clearly against the manila colored paper. Even more obvious when the illume was on high against a black bull! I put 3 shots into the exact hole at 10M with my 22rf to prove that I could shoot well at 10M with my Cronus G2 4.5-29x56. 

So, last night I finally got around to adding the Athlon Helos Gen. 2 2-12x42 to my Scope Specs Table.

And those specs look really good in comparison!! 👍🏼👍🏼

🔶 The requirements to make it onto this particular Specs Table are:

3x magnification on the bottom end (or less)

▪between 9x and 12x on the top end (can be more if the scope is shorter than 13"=33cm)

10y min. side parallax

Holdoff reticle (no BDC)

Exposed turrets

▪Around $500 or less

🔶 So, the Athlon makes a good case against the other 40+ scopes:

▪It has a huuuuuge field of view of 56ft at 2x!

▪It is the only scope with a zero stop*

▪It is the only scope with 10mil (25moa) turrets — very nice for dialers like me — no more wondering on what revolution of the turret I am currently.... (they are locking turrets, too).

▪It has a vaaaaast elevation adjustment range of 32mil (c. 105moa) (and 25mil windage [c. 85moa]).

▪It's illuminated, half of the scopes in the table are not.

▪For those quick shots at low magnification it has a circle of death — no other scope on the list offers this. Great feature for an FFP scope with a large 6-fold magnification range.

▪The length of 11.8" (30cm) isn't super compact in comparison to some of the scopes with "compact" in their model designations sporting around 10" (25cm) lenghts. But it could still ride on my PP700. 

▪The weight of 25.4oz (720g) isn't featherlight like some "compacts" coming in around 19oz (550g), but it's light. 

⚠️ Something I noticed I almost missed:

The MIL reticle is a holdoff reticle, with evenly spaced hash lines.

The MOA reticle on the other hand is a bullet drop compensation reticle (BDC), where the hash lines are spaced unevenly according to the required holdovers of particular PB cartridges at 100 yards, 200, 300, etc.

I want one!! The MIL version!! 😄

Matthias

*I might have missed a couple, but a zero stop sure is a very rare and very nice feature in this magnification range and price range.

Reactions: steve123
Ha, Matthias you are correct about the AHMR2 moa reticle, it is BDC for holdovers! I didn't notice that until now. I guess it's a experiment on Athlons behest to see which one sells more???

I don't have another scope with 12x on the top end so I put the Helos G2 2-12x42 on my BSA JSR 12fpe pistol with a 12" barrel - for the Sonoran Grand Prix match next weekend to compete in Hunter division. I'll get a pic up when I get a chance.

Looks and works great for this!!!

20210307_084005.1615132000.jpg

Looks and works great for this!!!

20210307_084005.1615132000.jpg

I shot the Sonoran Grand Prix PFT match with this combo last weekend. The Helos G2 ranges fantastic! The pistol needs a regulator though, I found that out the hard way with the vertical the small tube gives but still managed a mid pack score of 30. Best stage was the 11Y and the 13Y targets by getting 7/8. Oh well I hoped for better but did had fun in my first official PFT match in Hunter division. I actually loved the scope for this type of shooting, it was perfect, nothing but impressed in every way! Reticle was easy to see, thus easy to identify all holds. 

Now it's going on my AR-15 😃

Found this video while googling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J74siGMQBQY

It seems like a really nice reticle and a really nice scope as well. It's funny, looking the reticle that video. I'm colourblind (red/green) and when the illumination is set to its brightest my impression is that it seems yellow, not red. My GF said that it was most definitely red though. 👩 I can see it really well, which is surprising. But on the lower illumination levels I can hardly see any colour at all. Some kind of magic going on there.

This scope looks like it could be a nice fit for my Leishy 2 which I have on order.

I'm still waiting for mine from CameralandNY. I checked my bank account last night and it did show the transaction on 02/01/2021. The funny thing is that when I placed my first order from CameralandNY for some accessories costing around $200, they did not send me an email confirmation with tracking that it shipped but I did receive the items.

Steve, I keep thinking about this scope, but I favor an MOA reticle and the BDC concerns me. Have you found this to be a problem? Thanks.

The BDC is probably set approx for 223 with 69's or 308 with 168's. You'd have to map the trajectory manually to your air rifle or via a ballistic calculator, and no I've not done that yet because I use FFP and mils which is the easy way. In the instructions it should list how many moa's each hash is worth so you can get real close with a ballistic app.

Good video, thanks for posting. How bright is the illumination in the daylight? Seems I read in one of these post that Steve or someone said it is not really daylight bright?

It's not daylight bright but bright enough that during a cloudy day while looking into the shade I can see the reticle lit up on the highest setting.

I've been quite occupied with life's challenges the last few months but I wanted to ask if, or how many of you guys, got a G2 Helos 2-12x42 and also what your impressions were?

I looked last week and there were none in stock at Athlon but was wondering if they were all sent out to dealers??

Mine ended up on a Steyr ProX semi auto.

I’m waiting for Cameraland to get some more of the MIL versions in. I spoke to Doug earlier this week and he expected them by the end of this month. Hopefully you still like yours?

Check out MK Machining! Just shipped mine out yesterday. Got the MIL version. Last I talked 2 weeks ago he had 5 on the shelf but his online inventory showed backorder and he was confused why that was. So there could be 4 left if no one else ordered. Reason mine took so long was they were waiting on rings I ordered with it and we're backordered. Cancelled those on Thurs and shipped the scope yesterday. Mine will be going on my Taipan Veteran Shorty. The Midas Tac will go back on my Tikka T1X.

IMG_20210703_205319308.1625932526.jpg