• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Feral pigs are rampaging in California community again & residents feel helpless

Saw this in the news: Feral pigs are rampaging in California community again — and residents feel helpless

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/city-of-san-ramon-being-terrorized-by-wild-boars/vi-AAO4CyP

"An incursion of feral pigs left California homeowner Ted Hunting’s lawn in shocking condition — so much so that his wife screamed when she first discovered the damage.

“I came out and I just couldn’t believe what I saw,” Hunting told KGO. “You can actually see the holes in the ground, with their tusks, where they dug up the grass.”

Wild boars are back in the Bay Area community of San Ramon, residents say, and authorities say there’s not much they can do about it.

“We could send out our officers but, really, I don’t know what they’d do,” Capt. Denton Carlson of the San Ramon Police Department told The San Francisco Chronicle.

County animal control officers say they don’t have any jurisdiction unless the pigs attack pets or people, according to the publication. State wildlife officers can issue permits allowing residents to hire trappers to remove the pigs."

If only the pigs would move east a couple of hours! I happen to have acorns in my yard........mmmmm....bacon!!!

Feeding the homeless would be a noble gesture and would help by keeping the creatures wild and thinning out the heard. They would first have to snap back into reality and have a different mindset before one could address the issue. I don't think guns within a residential neighborhood would be the best of choices, but there are many other ways to address this issue, if willing to.

Yeah the problem exists because the government here is run by people who hate hunting and hunters. I'm not sure everyone who has a problem with hogs in San have property that allows safe dispatching of hogs but I can tell you many homes in San Ramon have hundreds of yards between homes. The answer clearly would be to allow hunting with strict safety rules. Perhaps the local government could send out fish and game to hand out permits to anyone who has a safe location for killing them. That will never happen tho. Texas has great laws and they still have a serious problem. This situation will not solve itself but I imagine they will just ignore it forever. I think airguns would be a perfect solution for this. Quiet, bullets don't fly for thousands of yards and ethical. I'd love to see big bore hog hunting become legal here but again our government is terrible here. 

Trapping is the most efficient way to deal with them. But like you said, it would rase some eyebrows. 

We hate us some hogs around here.

You get one shot at a trap. They learn, and fast. It is amazing how long they will continue to avoid something many have never seen. Not quite as efficient as the trappers would have you believe.

The ranch we hunted on had steel posts at random scattered over the property. Finally, one day we saw a cage on one. OK seems legit. Talking with he foreman, he said he got one shot per pole then had to move the trap for at least two years. Pigs would avoid it like it had a neon sign on it.

Saw this in the news: Feral pigs are rampaging in California community again — and residents feel helpless

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/city-of-san-ramon-being-terrorized-by-wild-boars/vi-AAO4CyP

"An incursion of feral pigs left California homeowner Ted Hunting’s lawn in shocking condition — so much so that his wife screamed when she first discovered the damage.

“I came out and I just couldn’t believe what I saw,” Hunting told KGO. “You can actually see the holes in the ground, with their tusks, where they dug up the grass.”

Wild boars are back in the Bay Area community of San Ramon, residents say, and authorities say there’s not much they can do about it.

I know he can’t help it, but under the circumstances I’d be embarrassed to be in the news with that problem and his last name. 

Speaking of smart porkers, I read about these escape artist pigs yesterday https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2021/09/04/swine-smarts-wild-boars-free-pair-fellow-pigs-caught-trap/5731553001/?itm_source=AMP&itm_medium=UpNext

I disagree, from personal experience. Same trap, same location multiple pigs. Also not all traps are equal, some are large enough to catch the whole sounder (herd) others are only good for 1 or 2 at a time. Hunting them is fun but will never put a big enough dent to control the population. They breed year round, can have up to 3 litters in a year and are of breeding age in less than a year. 

https://agrilifeextension.tamu.edu/library/wildlife-nature-environment/

Scroll down to wildlife damage management and there are a few articles on the subject. 

https://agrilifeextension.tamu.edu/solutions/feral-hogs/

New Zealand imported several species of deer in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. There are no predators of mammals that large in NZ. By the 1920s the overpopulation grew to the point that a number of communities were washed away in mudslides. Hundreds died. They had literally stripped everything edible from the ground to as high as a man could reach, even bark from trees. The government instituted a bounty on tails and hunters took to the Howe Range for months at a time. Millions of deer were killed. Finally the population was reduced to sustainable levels, but only after a market for NZ venison was created in Europe and enormous traps were built to catch deer driven into them each morning. These traps look like the "pound nets" which were once common on the East Coast. These trapper/farmers are the apex predators of deer in NZ to this day. Professional hunters are still allowed to sell their kills to these plants AFAIK.

It will take a system like that to finally get the feral hog population under control in the south.

In large areas of the north of my country they are also very numerous and cause destruction in fields of crops, traffic accidents, even some attacks on people. Now some politicians who did not like hunting have realized the problem late and allow them to be killed without limit of catches and during most of the year. They can also transmit the disease called swine fever to farm pigs, causing the slaughter of millions of heads.