Female house sparrow

Had a pair of English sparrows checking out the swallows nesting boxes.
Plugged the female, that counts as five birds doesn’t it 😂.
Thought I’d include the picture because it’s a good example of what the females look like.
Very easy to mistake them for different breeds.

IMG_0469.jpeg

In Denmark the name for them ( Passer domesticus ) are gråspurv, which translate directly as greysparrow.
Tonnes of them over here in EU ville, but not a pest here so i dont shoot them.

Another bird at my friends place is Eurasian Wren ( Troglodytes troglodytes ), it is the #2 smallest bird in Denmark, with eggs just 1.5 CM long, and they ZIP around so fast you would think the ton of cocaine that washed up on beaches here in the past days was for them, barely sit still for a second.
Adult they weigh in about as much as 10 16 grain pellets ( 10 grams )

%D0%9A%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%BF%D0%B8%D0%B2%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%BA_-_%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%B5%D1%88%D0%B5%D0%BA_%28Troglodytes_troglodytes%29%2C_%D0%91%D0%B8%D1%82%D1%86%D0%B5%D0%B2%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B8%D0%B9_%D0%BB%D0%B5%D1%81.jpg

Last edited:
In Denmark the name for them ( Passer domesticus ) are gråspurv, which translate directly as greysparrow.
Tonnes of them over here in EU ville, but not a pest here so i dont shoot them.

Another bird at my friends place is Eurasian Wren ( Troglodytes troglodytes ), it is the #2 smallest bird in Denmark, with eggs just 1.5 CM long, and they ZIP around so fast you would think the ton of cocaine that washed up on beaches here in the past days was for them, barely sit still for a second.
Adult they weigh in about as much as 10 16 grain pellets ( 10 grams )

%D0%9A%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%BF%D0%B8%D0%B2%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%BA_-_%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%B5%D1%88%D0%B5%D0%BA_%28Troglodytes_troglodytes%29%2C_%D0%91%D0%B8%D1%82%D1%86%D0%B5%D0%B2%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B8%D0%B9_%D0%BB%D0%B5%D1%81.jpg
We have wrens here too, and they will plug up nesting boxes that are near where they have chosen to nest.
Really interesting, until I read about it I was wondering about the sticks poking out of the other boxes.
They just jam the sticks in to make it impossible for other birds to use the box.
They also sneak in and break eggs of other species!
Tough little birds for sure, I love to hear their chatter in the morning before full light.

Reactions: Mike_OH
Apparently bringing animals from old countries was a thing in the old days.

Also learned that Hawaii had a rat problem, så they got another nasty critter to take care of them, but the problem is the rats are night active and the other critters they imported are day active, so now they have 2 problems on the island.

Global warming also bring new invasive species to Denmark, some even fairly big but also new kinds of mosquitoes ASO find their way up here.
The biggest ( size ) pest here is probably the comon racoon dog / Nyctereutes procyonoides

We even have a fence towards Germany, but its just a few feet tall and only there to stop feral pigs getting up here and destroy the rather large Danish pig farming industry.

Here is a handy tool for identifying birds. The Sound ID feature works like a champ. A pair of binoculars to assist with ID and you can rest assured you are shooting the correct bird. Works on Android and Apple.

Reactions: Mike_OH and Doc C.
Some might think air gunning HOSPs useless. Not so. During the nesting season they tend to be territorial. If I can clean them out of my area it gives the native bird less pressure and some chance to get their broods going. And once the native song birds begin a nest they tend to be much more aggressive in defending it against any HOSPs. But they need that head start. I have had good success with my bluebird trail once I began actively shooting the HOSPs.

I usually stick my most recent sight in target, pellet and range on the rifle to remind me. That is the new Crosman 3622. It is going to be a superb HOSP rifle.

Last edited:
Here is a handy tool for identifying birds. The Sound ID feature works like a champ. A pair of binoculars to assist with ID and you can rest assured you are shooting the correct bird. Works on Android and Apple.

i have the Merlin app from Cornell as well. This is a very handy tool to have handy.
Just a few quick descriptors and it will identify the birds you are seeing. It gives you several options.
I have only used the sound ID once or twice.
Be sure to donate a little to the university if you do get the app.

Doc

Reactions: maxtrouble