• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FWB Feinwerkbau 65 front sight

While shooting my FWB 65 last night the front clamping pin holding the front sight fell out. Just curious if this is a common wear point. Trying to figure out if the sight is worn, the notch in the barrel or the clamping pin. Not much wear on the clamping pin. I’ve had this pistol for 7 years and shoot it quite often so interesting that it would suddenly fall out.

seeing that doesn't move it can't wear
it just came loose over time or was always loose and just pitch the sight off at that point
as long as you found the sight insert put it back together, there are inserts on Ebay both the tall and low version of course the tall is only used for when the sledge is clamped, and the recoil is felt

file:///C:/Users/user/Downloads/Luftpistole_Modell_65%20(7).pdf

https://www.ebay.com/itm/332655487264?hash=item4d73cfe920:g:OlgAAOSwYLtiofwi

https://www.ebay.com/itm/332655495159?hash=item4d73d007f7:g:c2kAAOSw-0hiof5x

Last edited:
seeing that doesn't move it can't wear
it just came loose over time or was always loose and just pitch the sight off at that point
as long as you found the sight insert put it back together, there are inserts on Ebay both the tall and low version of course the tall is only used for when the sledge is clamped and the recoil is felt
It’s the clamping pin that holds the entire front sight not the screw that holds front sight insert.

You mean like this and what i use to tighten it down..lol ( and still can slip )
front1.jpg
r9globe1.jpg

Now its not fell off but will slip back / walk up the dovetail and being hw cut the receiver way end of the dovetail like a ramp instead of squared off to stop it it would eventually hit the ground if i dont catch it in time ..lol. ( That great German engineering 😉) .. so had to chunk the flat head for a hex head to get a wrench hold to tighten it down good..

Also picture 2 the yellow stuff is nail polish . Once dry if it moves it shows a crack .. grab a wrench again .🤤

okay different story
the pin is a wedge pin left to right install and never heard of one coming out
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/334903153914
the FWB 65-80-90 do not use a globe front sight but a sight housing that are pin to the barrel with and wedge pin and there is a slot on the underside of the barrel
as i said never heard of a pin falling out with a punch and hammer
now there could be corrosion under the sight and pin slot and pin that made it come loose

This is what I have. The pin just fell out. I saw the pin on eBay but was trying to figure out what caused it to fall out in the first place.

View attachment 379101
Ya i look d and one looked tapered and some did not show that taper .

Id try a spot of red on the high spot of the taper right on that shiny spot that looks to be the point the taper locks / wedges on the barrel grove to hold it ..

Just enugh red to hold but abke to pop it out again if needed .. / nothing heavy handed .. like giving it a little spot of glue.

What does the grive ring look like at the pin position? Does it look worn or anything ? Sure looks like taper pressed / tap in place

Not easy finding a show and tell example but usually theres a nut that tightens and kerps the wedge part drawed inward and hold firm
th-4163210020.jpg

5th post mcdriskil is the only reference to that fwb pin i see

https://airgunwarriors.com/community/airgun-talk/fwb-150-2/

Hes a member here maybe pm him on any extra info that could help

I laid it on the table and the pin fell out. Iv never taken the front sight off before but obviously without the pin in place I could slide it off. The only wear I see is on the groov on the barrel where the pin is driven in and maybe some inside the front sight where it slides on. Not sure if this is typical wear or more than normal.

Reactions: Hateful McNasty
Mmmm... Does look worn and maybe lost its tight fit in clearances tolerance.

One more trick to try is put the pin in your frezzer get it as cold ad you can . Set the barrel part in the hot sun and try a shrink fit..

The hot barrel expands and the cold pin contracts when you hurry and put it together and tap or press in the pin tight then the barrel cools a contracts and the pin warms up and expands all to ambient temps they tighten down on each other like a clamping /choke action and may hold for good.. all it takes is thousands for that fit to work and hold bull dog tight if it works

Then just maybe the red loctite or a spot of expoxy to glue it in for holding purpose.

Reactions: Fishermen0105
No telling maybe just from years of shooting and recoil ?

To that barrel is softer steel vs that hardened pin steel. . Like us old age and use gets us all in the end . Just wore out 🥴. Look up that mr driskill here and private message him . He may know a better way.. hes hip on this stuff like you got ... It be worth asking him ..

Sorry that mdriskill the op here

Last edited:
there is something more to this story, i do not understand somethings
first the pin on the table looks new like it was just replaced and the barrel looks as if a mad man took to it with a file but why
the barrel pin and barrel just sit together pinned in place there is no movement but there could have been a different front sight install at some point
how long have you had this pistol
now the pin slot is too big, and you are going to have to shim it and i would start with strips of printer paper to judge the amount but also fill the groove left behind from the damage
it is what i would do
now at some point you could fill the barrel area with some epoxy and reshape it but all of this is working off pictures

the reality is the front sight pins on the FWB pistols do not fall out period

It works the same as the pin on the rifle sights. Tap the pin in from the left - the flat side facing up with its wider end to the right - you'll see this as a small gap on the right side (arrow). I guess it COULD shake loose over time, and then fall out on the left side, but as noted they are very snug coming from the factory. Maybe it's not the OEM pin, a previous owner loosened things up by removing the housing, or some such.

Unless someone has buggered the barrel notch as marflow noted - seems unlikely since it's been trouble-free for 7 years? - it's an ingeniously simple, self-tightening detail. Just slide the pin back in, maybe give it a gentle extra tap or two after it stops, and it should snug up just fine.

Pic shows the earlier 65's rounded front sight housing (like the OP's) on top; the later more angular housing (shared with the model 80) is on the bottom. They attach the same and use the same inserts.

IMG_3655.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Fishermen0105
Good! Glad it's holding, but I must say it does look a bit out-of-spec. A thin shim as marflow suggested might be in order.
I agree. What baffles me is why it came loose now. Here’s a picture of it a couple months ago and although not as bad it does look to protrude more on the right than it should so probably has slowly backed out over time. I’ll have to experiment annd figure out a good way to shim the barrel notch to make sure it stays in place.
IMG_1162.jpeg
IMG_5047.jpeg

Very interesting. Possibly the housing or pin has been replaced and there's a slight mismatch, or someone filed the barrel recess as discussed earlier - who knows. But the important thing is, it doesn't affect function. I would think a thin shim of sheet brass or aluminum, slipped in ahead of the pin and roughly matching its flat side, would do the trick though.

Last edited: