FWB Feinwerkbau 12/124/120

Hello to all;

Excerpt from my CD “Old Airguns and Memories”

I first became aware of the Feinwerkbau models 12/ 124/ 120 Air Rifles in 1976, thru an OM Catalog published by Air Rifle Headquarters; they were a small import/export Company located in Grantsville, West Virginia. The original Model 124 that I purchased was quoted as capable of 750-800 FPS in .177 caliber, 10+ ft.lbs; astounding numbers in that time frame, and all this with just one easy cock of the barrel. I mean it took 10-12 pumps on my Benjamin 317 to get close to that!!! Yep very interesting!!!!

Well I ordered one in early 1977; Model 124 .177 cal., bit expensive don’t remember exact cost but around a $100.00 bucks!!! Could at that time buy a .22 rim fire for half the cost!! Oh well so it is for us Air gun aficionados, anyway got the unit in and was very impressed, really nice looking rifle, wood stock, safety activated when barrel cocked, good adjustable rear sights, rear grooved for a scope, deep dark bluing, very easy to cock, accurate and powerful, did not have a chronograph at that time, but did have the old style pliable duct seal for penetration testing.

The M-124 penetrated with one cock of the barrel, deeper than 10 pumps of the Benjamin M-317 using Benjamin .177 caliber Pellets in the duct seal, I was hooked!! I used this rifle on almost a daily basis for the next 2 years; it effectively retired my Benjamin’s as well as my Sheridan’s. I eventually got a chronograph and with 7.9 gr. Crosman pellets had a velocity of 809 fps.

Well as things go, in 1979 a guy offered me a wad of cash for the M-124 and for some inexplicable reason I accepted it!! I still regret selling that unit till this day!! I knew I would have to replace that 124 and soon!! It was 1982 when I ordered another FWB M-124, it was designated Feinwekbau-Sport 124 by Beeman; as it was by that time ARH had closed up so I ordered from Beeman (price had doubled!) and in a couple of weeks had my New Finewerkbau Sport 124 in .177 caliber. This unit (San Rafael) was a really nice example, all of the features of my previous 124, but had checkering on each side of the Palm swell in the grip area, pistol grip cap, sling swivels, and rubber butt pad and metal trigger, “the first M124 I had trigger was plastic!” Aesthetically speaking the new unit was head and shoulders above the previous M124 from ARH. Performance was, however equal. The M-124 Rifle weighed 6.5 lbs, OAL 43 inches a rather robust rifle in those time frames; though a very sleek looking rifle, 800 FPS + 7.9 gr. pellet.

I was able too; some years later, determine the production date of my Beeman -124D as 1981, I found on the web, a site that gave all the production dates from 1973 -1985, production stopped in 1989. My FWB M-124D is going on 40 + years old now; I have rebuilt it internally 3 times in the past 30 + years, mainspring, piston seal, breech seal etc. and until recently have always used the fixed sights, however I finally put a scope on it in 2018. On my 80th trip around the SUN that year could not avoid it any longer!! I always preferred the fixed sights, quick shots etc. just the way it is.

I chose a Winchester 4x32 AO Scope and decided to leave the front site on. I had, what Beeman called a muzzle brake, actually just a muzzle cover or cocking assist that replaced the front site, but I chose not to use it as the front site did not interfere with the scope and it was the best way for me to not misplace the original front site!! I guess it would be more aesthetically pleasing, and more in line with today’s thinking; I just did not use it, may some day?

After much testing; the JSB Exacts 8.4 grain pellets proved to be the most accurate in this FWB M-124D and delivered an average of 763 fps. 10.8 ft. lbs. with 5 shot center to center groups of .690” at 25 yards. I have a number of barrel cocking Air Rifles, some more powerful some as accurate etc. but none hold a place more unique than this Rifle, it started a revolution in barrel cocking Air Rifles (in my opinion) in the late 60’s early 70’s, and is, in my view, one of the best ever made, others may disagree!

Feinwerkbau actually “reintroduced” the M-124 about 3 or so years ago as The “Sporter” version trying to recapture their old glory of years past, at $800.00 bucks apiece, not sure how that’s worked out for them, I certainly did not get one!! But wish them the best!!

My Feinwerkbau Sport124 made in 1981 is one rifle I will never sell (my favorite) made that mistake once before!! Be in the same category as my Feinwerkbau M-300- S .177 cal. Match Rifle, which was also made in the same year, 1981.

I also have a HW M-80 .177 made in 1982, and I installed a Bushnell Sportview 4x12x40 AO Scope on it. This is prior to Beemans marketing the Beeman R1 SERIES, (no Beeman markings on this rifle only HW-80) I did however use one of Beemans muzzle cocking aids on this unit though! I will post a photo of the early series FWB M-300S.

The early Model FWB 124D rifles were, and are still; very fine barrel cocking spring powered air rifles!!

Garey

*I have been asked on occasion the differences in Model Identification on the 12/124/120; I always refer to the Model Identification outlined in the ARH Owner’s Manual

Which states (verbatim);

“The only positive guide to individual model identification is the stock itself! The 124 Standard is the only Model without a buttplate. The 124 Deluxe (F-12) is the only model with a plastic buttplate. The Custom120-X is the only Model with a rubber buttplate.”

(This is of course only for the Rifles distributed by Air Rifle Headquarters)

124.01.jpg124.02.jpg124.03.jpg124.04.jpg

Still have a half box of Silver Jets for mine:) I will have to get a tin of JSB Exacts 8.4 when time permits. I did chrony some junk Gamo 7.87 @ max 802fps/10.96 fp. Thx for posting your Chrony!

EDIT: Crony the JSB's today. Min 807, Max 818, spread 11, average 12.43 ft/lb. Wish I had a recording crony 30 years ago as I lost all my bits of notes. BTW, the Silver Jets, 150 left, did 842 - 819, 23 spread at 12.35 avg. ft/lbs. I measured 8.14 gn on those with gr scale. Thx!

Last edited:
I had a two year tour in Turkey from Sept 72 to Sept 74 courtesy of the USAF. We had a Nato rod and gun club, where I bought a few shotguns. They at one time had some barrel cocking air rifle, but everyone was cocking and dry firing, so I passed on it. No telling what kind of condition it was in intenally. Got back and another officer was into air guns down in Florida, and got me interested. I sent and got a catalog from ARH and ended up ordering a FWB 124d. I rather lusted after one of their aftermarket stocks, but just could not afford one at the time. Shot it a good bit, indoors in base housing, I made a pellet trap that used old Sears catalogs and magazines, so easy to replace. Shot from one bedroom down the hall into another , maybe 15 yards, Put a Williams/Beeman receiver sight on it and upped my target shooting game. Made some long shots at my in-laws up in Ga. Over the years I had to have it rebuilt due to piston seals going bad, First time sent to Beeman's, probably mid 80's, last time to David Slade about two years ago.

I looked at the new Sport model and passed for a while, just did not care for the multi angle trigger guard, but finally broke down and ordered one. All I can say is it is not as easy to cock, it has a better trigger, and the milled safety is much nicer than the stamped steel model on the original, plus it is resetable. And that factor rear sight is hands down the best on any air rifle I have seen. I just wish they had made it so it could take different front sight inserts vs being a fixed post, and the rear leaf had been removable so it could better accomadate a receiver type sight.