Feeding Invasive birds

My neighbor likes to grow stuff. He says the black birds(grackles and crows), and mostly little brown birds wipe out his little crops. (assuming sparrows)Last year his sunflowers were decimated ,by these little gremlins. Oh and in TX , they are.
Ahh.The common one around my coastal area is the Boat-tailed Grackle. While numourous, they don't bother the blue jays and cardinals. At least by the numbers of those that I see, they are doing fine. The blue jays and grackels are equally aggressive at the feeder, the red bellied woodpeckers clear them both out. Most mornings the grackles and jays grab their seed in an organized manner. Surprisingly the biggest battles are the mourning doves and the woodpeckers.

Ahh.The common one around my coastal area is the Boat-tailed Grackle. While numourous, they don't bother the blue jays and cardinals. At least by the numbers of those that I see, they are doing fine. The blue jays and grackels are equally aggressive at the feeder, the red bellied woodpeckers clear them both out. Most mornings the grackles and jays grab their seed in an organized manner. Surprisingly the biggest battles are the mourning doves and the woodpeckers.
Woodys are tuff birds and don't take poop. I've tried to shoo them away by shooting pellets right next to them and they just look at the dent in the tree lol.

Mourning doves aren't the brightest bulbs in the box either lol.

Woodys are tuff birds and don't take poop. I've tried to shoo them away by shooting pellets right next to them and they just look at the dent in the tree lol.

Mourning doves aren't the brightest bulbs in the box either lol.
I have a burning hatred for them. I do the same thing with them. I have some spining targets under the feeder. I smack one of those to scare them away. They will just gorge themselves with seed.

It's my understanding that Grackles are considered a protected species EXCEPT when they are doing harm to crops, property, or other birds.
Perhaps someone with definitive knowledge can chime in and enlighten us.

In my particular case the Grackles found the plum trees in our urban home mini orchard for the first time last year
They ruined the fruit as it was ripening in May
This spring they began even earlier, and stripped all the small fruit in April.

IMO
INVASIVE!!
WORTHY OF DEATH

Ed

Definitely grackles. Theyll tear up any fruit really. Theyll even poke holes in tomatoes. If you give them hell, they'll learn after a couple years that your area is a no fly zone. They're very communal birds and very smart. If you kill ones mate, the other will fly to it usually. Make sure you end their grieving and suffering, and give them the same lead injection you did their spouse.

Here's a gang of cats, the white spot in the middle of the road is actually a cat too. Travel 2 blocks down ,& u can't really see it in the pic. But there's a gang of dogs (3) here picking on cat, that isn't really to bothered with them.

IMG20230528203203.jpg

IMG20230528205228.jpg

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
Just the ones with the little white strip on there wing. I believe. There are literally thousands of them here under bridges ,on perches, on telephone poles, on top of buildings. From east side of town to out of town. Probably a few sitting on my trashcan right now too.
Well actually only 4 of your list of 11 are considered invasive and no the white wing is not one of them. All birds except the feral pidgin or rock dove, starling, english sparrow, and eurasian, or collard dove have some form of federal protection. Crows, grackels and black birds fall under different classification than song birds so different laws for them. Invasive classification doesn't automatically mean they are not protected case in point the cattel egret. If your motivation is to protect your song birds I would suggest the cats are a much bigger problem than grackels.