Feeding Invasive birds

Cute and cuddly ,or small and vicious. Two types of residents , near my local feed store. Although, it may be deceiving to an untrained eye, I clearly & quickly differentiate who's who. The same cannot be said about our local folks. Here I'm watching 4 jolly O's sparrows, out of about 10, enjoy a nice treat that's given to them on a daily, from what seems to be a giant bottomless pit dispensary of goodies for invasive critters. I mean there everywhere, from rock, Eurasian, white winged doves, starlings , grackles, crows, pshhh Don't even get me started with sparrows.
A quick Google search brings me to find there is no city ordinance or laws prohibiting the use of air rifles in city limits.. No fps limit ,no season ,not one mention of airgun , not compresed air stuff absolutely nothing. Only Pb's. Of coarse that doesn't mean I get to sling lead all over the place like Yosemite Sam. Also the animal control here doesn't even try to catch stray animals even if u call them. If they do they spade or neutere then release . So there's literally a different gang of cats&dogs in almost every block. (A lot of hungry stomachs)
Besides talking to the owners of the feed store to stop feeding the invasive pests,I'm stumped at what could possibly be done. They look like they'd have a heart attack if I even mention dispatching these little critters. (Birds not cats and dogs)
I'll be posting pics of all the wildlife around the area , kinda get a sample of the chaos going on here.

Last edited:
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
IMG20230527104604.jpg

HW 30 if you can afford it. If not a Amazon or Walmart cheap springer. A Crossman 760 or Daisy 880 with say 4 pumps might be quiet enough for close range. I oppose shooting BBs in the City due to richochet like my neighbor's $800 SUV window I paid for. Although it may be legal now. One old lady complaining to City Hall would probably result in a new ordinance stopping air gun use. That is what I do. In my opinion, would be hard to find city residents who would speak on your behalf of allowing airguns.

I know what you mean. I have a neighbor that feeds the birds, and it'd always sparrows, starlings, and grackles. They scare everything else away. I started shooting them when they get in my yard or along the back easement line up on the piles and wires. They drop into the brush, and the cats and foxes get them.

Since I've been pretty diligent the last few years, they've really thinned out. Mostly because they learned it's not safe. Now I get alot more song birds.

I actually have a new set over mourning doves that made a nest in my honeysuckle on my fence, right outside my side door. So close, I can hear the rattle in their chest before they actually release their call.

Cardinals, brown thrashers, wrens, doves, swallows, titmouse, nuthatch, and a few mated pairs of northern flickers all live here now in my backyard. They've learned they're safe here and I take out the trash birds and not them.

Oh, and TONS of robins... I wish I pop them, just to bring down the numbers.