Feedback on the Daystate Wolverine HR (Not HP) .25 Cal

I have the DS Wolverine R HiLight. In .177. Today was my first day to shoot it. After sighting in the 2-7 scope. It was just Hole inside another hole at 36 yards. Shot count from top of yellow (bottom of green) to bottom of yellow was 160. 

Granted, It/s not .25 like your post says, but for my first experience with this rifle. First Class rig is my initial impression. Others here with more experience with it can help you a lot more.

RK

Reactions: rigbymauser
Well, we don't have exactly what you are asking about, but we currently have a Wolv .25 HP R, a .22 HP R and my wife shoots a .177 R. 

Accuracy on these rifles is excellent, although I've only taken the HP's out to 50 yards. Tried shooting the .22 HP out at 100 once but ran out of scope elevation adjustments and my hold-over skill is pretty non-existent. (Now my favorite 100 yard gun is a 65 FPE Red Wolf instead of the 45 FPE Wolv. HP).

Of course accuracy is impacted by the quality of the trigger, and these triggers are excellent and very adjustable.

I do a lot more shooting at 25 and 50 yards, because that is what I have in my back yard. Daystate says that I should get about 50 full power shots out of my .25 HP and about 65 out of my .22 HP. I find this to be accurate, or maybe just a little conservative. I probably get 60-65 shots out of the .25 and maybe 75 out of the .22 before I see any POI change. Daystate says that you should get 100 full power shots out of a standard power .25 Wolv., and I don't doubt that at all.

We have never had any issues with our 3 Wolvs.

Have you had the opportunity to handle one? The Wolverine's grip is quite large and I sometimes find myself getting sloppy with my hand hold position because of this. And I'm a size XXL glove kind of guy. But I'm also a more casual shooter. If you take your shooting more seriously you will want to handle the gun for a bit to make sure that the grip is comfortable to you.

While I like the Red Wolf a little better than the Wolverine, as a fully mechanical gun the Wolverine is hard to beat. They are not as light as some comparable rifles (for example a Crown wearing a laminate stock is lighter than a Wolverine), but weight is your friend when shooting off a bench or from a blind. Not so much when walking around.

IMG_1133.1611113220.JPG

I do have the DS HR HP in .25..... I consider it my best .25, based cn a) accuracy al very long range, b) consistency. 

But the HP is too, too long. almost 44 inches. Bulky!

With this rifle I know for sure that if missed a shot it was me, not the rifle. This gives confidence for hunting!! Going hunting and missing an important shot because of the rifle is "very expensive". It happened to me in a bear hunting in Canada (for me a lifetime hunting).

I have read in the Daystate site that the Wolverine non HP is 38" of total lenght. That´s indeed convenient for my preferences.

But I need to know if is is also accurate an reliable, how many shots per fill to expect and at how many foot pounds of energy.

Accuracy and reliability, in my experience, should not be an issue for any Wolverine.

For the more convenient length of the standard Wolverine R, you will be giving up maybe just a slight bit of long range accuracy and some power over the HP model due to its shorter barrel.

Shot count and muzzle energy should be consistent with what Daystate specifies on their site: ~100 shots and 35 FPE. That is based the performance that my personal Wolverine rifles give.

If you don't mind fewer shots-per-fill and bolt action cocking, the un-regulated, standard power Wolverine 2 Hi-Lite will give you about 40 FPE, also with a 38" overall length. And the design and hammer system of the Wolverines provides for a very consistent shot string, even on the un-regulated versions.

I just came across this post as I am now a Two Month owner of a .177 Wolverine R and a .22 Wolverine HP R. Both beautiful guns, the .177 has really upped my scores at Field Target Hunter class and 25M Benchrest and at our monthly Silhouette shoots. The .22 HP as well, but today at Extreme Field Target, out to 100 yds, it became glaringly obvious that the trigger on the .22 HP is incapable of allowing you to shoot well off a bucket and sticks. Validated by several shooters who shot a Red Wolf and another .22 HP with a “trigger polish and fiddle”. I lightened the trigger to the point the dear would not engage and then I increased the tension until it would. My trigger gage is in WI, but I’m betting the weight is 3-4 pounds. The .177 is much bettter, but much lighter hammer spring tension. Anyone have the answer?

I just came across this post as I am now a Two Month owner of a .177 Wolverine R and a .22 Wolverine HP R. Both beautiful guns, the .177 has really upped my scores at Field Target Hunter class and 25M Benchrest and at our monthly Silhouette shoots. The .22 HP as well, but today at Extreme Field Target, out to 100 yds, it became glaringly obvious that the trigger on the .22 HP is incapable of allowing you to shoot well off a bucket and sticks. Validated by several shooters who shot a Red Wolf and another .22 HP with a “trigger polish and fiddle”. I lightened the trigger to the point the dear would not engage and then I increased the tension until it would. My trigger gage is in WI, but I’m betting the weight is 3-4 pounds. The .177 is much bettter, but much lighter hammer spring tension. Anyone have the answer?
Ì won a recent field target event with a Wolverine 177. It shoots where I aim it!

I also just bought a Wolverine HP 22. Traded in my Red Wolf. I was able to adjust the triggers on both down to about 11 Oz. That was just before it would not engage the sear. It takes very little adjustment to make a difference. I can shoot half inch groups at 50 yards very consistent with few of any flyers. I love them. Not sure of shot count yet though.

I polished the seat face that touches the hammer and the other seat face with 8000 grit Japanese water stones I use for sharpening my wood working planes to a mirror surface. I also adjusted the trigger and now it is amazing. I’m going to have a trigger gage put on them tomorrow. I’m guessing less than a pound, a huge improvement. I get 5 mags per fill with 25.38 Range Masters at 885-890 fps. At 70 yds I can hit the 1/2 in KYL target pretty consistently off a bench and bags.