Fed Up With Gamo Junk - Need The Quietest Accurate Air Rifle

Hello everyone, the title kind of says it all, I've been plinking with various airguns for over 20yrs. Nothing serious, I just like heading out to the backyard occasionally and shooting at some targets, but when I start shooting I want my equipment to just work. I don't want to fiddle with ammo, the scope, or the gun. I grew up in the country, still have the first bolt action 22LR powder rifle that I bought for $100 from wal-mart and it just works. I take it out, set up a target or head to the woods and it is dead accurate every time.

Then I "grew up" moved to the city, and no real guns are allowed except at the shooting range for safety reasons, so I started taking my air rifles a little more seriously. I got my first 'real' air rifle which was the Gamo Whisper .177 and it was great. But I wanted something more accurate and with a little more punch so I picked up the Gamo Whisper Silent Cat IGT .22 and a Leapers UTG AO scope and long story short 3yrs later I still can't reliably hit the side of a wall with it. I've been fiddling with ammo and the scope ever since; can't seem to get anything to line up except at the exact range where I zeroed in the scope. The .177 version shoots way flatter and I can easily hit targets between 10yds and 30yds while still using the crosshairs.

So this year I want to get a little more serious with shooting in the backyard but the information available is all over the place. I need the absolute quietest break barrel air rifle that's out there since the neighbors are all around me, combined with the most reliable scope and ammo. My budget is up to $2,000 for the whole thing. I do not want compressed air, it needs to operate similar to a break barrel.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm literally at the point to where I'm just going to throw away my .22 Gamo and start all over. I want to go back to .177 since it shot so much flatter and was quieter, but my .177 Gamo really wasn't all that great either; just better than the .22.

I don’t know much about the non PCP rifles out there so I will let others give you advice. What I will say if your looking for a walk in the woods accurate plinker look for something around 7 pounds that way with scope you will be around 8.5 pounds which is more manageable. If you can find a lighter weight rifle that is good quality and comes with good recommendations lighter has always been better except when shooting off a bench. I just got a Athlon Argos which is a FFP Scope 6-24 which is decent for $369.
the SHOT gun show is just coming up wait and see what New stuff is released around it.

OK (herin2018 ) you said you still have your trusty .22 rimfire and it works. So go to Airguns of Arizona website and get this 
image-print-version.gif
Weihrauch HW50S Hunter .177
You will have it till you die, use it every day, never ever curse it, love it always. Comes with everthing you want right now. Go look. Hundreds of guys will tune in and tell you these German springers are top of the heap. The only thing you might change is the silencer/moderator. Ask about that. $519.00 and worth that or more in 30 years.... If you don't like the scope then look at the Nikon 3x9 EFR. You will own your back yard! 

Wather
LGV quiet
Terrus somewhat
Parrus powerful not really quiet

Benjamin
Rouge quiet and powerful 

from Kral https://www.krale-schietsport.nl/en/guns/air-rifles.html?dir=asc&manufacturer=262&order=price
HW 
30S quiet
50S quiet
35 quiet
85 somewhat quiet and powerful
80 quiet and powerful 

Diana
24C quiet
240c quiet
48 somewhat quiet and powerful 
350M powerful

Gamo's and Hatsan's I have IMHO RUNAWAY

I have many UK guns no longer in production

I own all the rifles listed above

"TOMSC"You have a nice budget to work with. I would recommend a Walther LGU or the LGV in .177. Add a Hawke Air max scope and you will have the rig you want.
Thanks TOMSC, out of all of my Google searches that gun never came up. It seems like all of these reviews push you to the Gamo or Crossman. So far I definitely like the Walther LGU, I do wish they used a Nitro piston instead of a spring, and a composite stock vs. wood, but the fixed barrel looks like it will be more accurate.

I found someone who did a decibel test on the Walther LGU and it came in at an incredible 70dB: https://www.airgundepot.com/head-to-head-airarms-tx200-vs-walther-lgu-master-article.html

I then found a pretty good chart that shows the Gamo rifles since I needed to figure out if 70dB is quieter than my current Gamos: http://www.riflezone.com/best-quiet-air-rifles-comparison/

And I think I am now almost sold on the Walther LGU, maybe there is a black composite stock I can get for it, my Gamo's stocks kind of grew on me. If it used compressed gas instead of a spring it would already be on the way. I also need to research the scope suggestions, most of the mainstream reviews seemed to indicate Leapers was a good scope and would work with air rifles, but at this point every component of my Gamo setup is suspect

socaloldman Thanks for the recommendation but I don't want to risk it being too loud. This city living definitely has it's downsides so I need to know ahead of time that whatever I get will be quieter than what I currently am using.

"Swampellet"The Daystate Regal xl .22 is the quietest I’ve ever shot. Very accurate as well.
Unfortunately that's a PCP, I don't want to deal with tanks and all that but I've got it narrowed down to the following:

Walther LGU Varmint - It has the synthetic stock but only comes as a .22 and I cannot find anyone who's tested the decibel output for the .22 version not to mention I really want to get back to .177 after fighting with the .22's arc coming out of my Gamo

HW97 Black Line - This looks like a great gun, has the synthetic stock and comes in .177 but according to this chart it's 90 decibels which is significantly louder than the Walther LGU .177's 70dB

I have given up on the gas piston, it seems the Germans know something I don't; all of the higher end air rifles still seem to use springs for some reason.

I just want to thank everyone for their help, I've ordered the Hawke Sport Optics Airmax 30 6-24x50 Side Focus AMX scope along with the UTG medium profile 30mm scope mount from Amazon. I'm also prepared to order the Weihrauch HW97K .177 from Arizona Airguns but I noticed on their site that they offer an upgraded sound moderator. So I'm going to call them tomorrow and find out if its worth the extra $100.00. Either way, I've decided on the HW97 Black Edition as my next air rifle.

"spysir"Not the quietest but a nice choice. If you d not ask the moderator will be permanently attached. In stock form I'm not sure you or other will hear much difference, in 1 tuned 97 that Paul Watts and David Slade and AZ had worked on was quiter than a stock unit but most all difference I heard was mechanical.
John

Do you have a recommendation for a quieter one? I really like the Walther LGU Varmint but they do not make a .177 version. 

Any quality SSP.

FWB 601 , if the Wife is sitting 4 feet away and you miss the target she wouldnt know you fired. Lot's of other similar rifles.

8bead0735a89287acc3eed3ee7a5c353.jpg

Really this one was a loud as taking the safety off some rifles. And yes it is a "10 meter " rifles but no worries on targets at 30 yards and out to 50 if very little wind.
An RWS75 is also rather quite.Do you live near any clubs? Checked the members map? Try before you buy is always great.

John

"spysir"Any quality SSP.
FWB 601 , if the Wife is sitting 4 feet away and you miss the target she wouldnt know you fired. Lot's of other similar rifles.
8bead0735a89287acc3eed3ee7a5c353.jpg

Really this one was a loud as taking the safety off some rifles. And yes it is a "10 meter " rifles but no worries on targets at 30 yards and out to 50 if very little wind.
An RWS75 is also rather quite.Do you live near any clubs? Checked the members map? Try before you buy is always great.
John
Ahh got it, had to Google SSP. Unfortunately I think that's a little too under powered for my tastes, it would definitely be quieter than the ones I'm looking at, but if I'm going to spend around $1000 for an air rifle setup it should be able to at least take out a varmint if need be. Also I would imagine the arc would be something fierce past 10 meters with velocities that low. Looks like I'm getting the HW97, if I do get any neighbor complaints then I'll reconsider getting an SSP.

Look at an FX Indy and FX Independence. Not sure if the fit your needs, but they are completely self contained. Basically, PCP's with built in pumps. Expensive, but might be interesting. Good reviews as well. Definitely top end guns. At $1700 and $1600 respectively, would leave just enough for a moderate scope.

Here's one in .25

Reactions: 223coyote
"Saltlake58"Look at an FX Indy and FX Independence. Not sure if the fit your needs, but they are completely self contained. Basically, PCP's with built in pumps. Expensive, but might be interesting. Good reviews as well. Definitely top end guns. At $1700 and $1600 respectively, would leave just enough for a moderate scope.
Here's one in .25
I went ahead and ordered the HW97 it just seems like its going to meet my needs. Based on the decibel charts it looks like worst case it will be as loud as my current Gamos.

"herein2018"
"Saltlake58"Look at an FX Indy and FX Independence. Not sure if the fit your needs, but they are completely self contained. Basically, PCP's with built in pumps. Expensive, but might be interesting. Good reviews as well. Definitely top end guns. At $1700 and $1600 respectively, would leave just enough for a moderate scope.
Here's one in .25
I went ahead and ordered the HW97 it just seems like its going to meet my needs. Based on the decibel charts it looks like worst case it will be as loud as my current Gamos.
Congrats.

I have tried a lot of different quality springers and my .177 hw97k is my favorite. Very well built and accurate. IMHO, they are best when setup to shoot at 12-13fpe. Put a good scope on your 97 and you are set for decades of shooting enjoyment.

R