• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Results February TEXtreme Bench-Rest Silhouette match results

Despite Ranchito Robinson having been a frozen wasteland for several days and the match director’s reluctance to lend any credence whatsoever to weather forecasters' attempts at positive spin, with more than a handful of folks willing to risk long journeys in potentially hazardous driving conditions, the TEXtreme Bench-Rest Silhouette Match Director managed to overcome his severe allergies to any semblance(s) of work, cold, and especially, WORKING in the cold long enough to stage a shooting contest. And although the weather improving to nicer than forecasted had much to do with the fun exceeding expectations, the quality of attendees had much more to do with an extremely enjoyable afternoon of airgun competition.

The eight competitors contesting the match included three shooting their first competition ever. All but one entrant contested the Eighty Foot Pound (maximum) class; only the match director being dumb enough to bring a thirty foot-pound pop-gun to what proved a psycho-storm of wind conditions. Witness the humbling scores posted by some mighty fine shooters. Correction- ALL the shooters!

There was a tie for high score on the day of 26/40 between airgun-competition veteran Bobby Corcorran and John Sivek’s performance in his first shooting competition. Our ties usually decided by which shooter posted the most ten-in-a-rows, virtue of aforementioned psychotic winds, nary a single shooter recorded nary a a single ten-in-a-row!

The next tie-breaker option being high turkey count, John Sivek prevailed for the overall win virtue of posting a turkey count of 6/10 with his .25 FX Impact M3 topped with a 5-25X Element Titan scope, shooting shooting 34 grain pellets at 890 FPS. Great shooting, John!

Bobby used a .22 Daystate Delta Wolf with Crimson Trace optics, shooting 25.4 grain JSBs 940 FPS to capture second place. Excellent shooting, Bob.

Darwin Corcorran’s excellent 24/40 score proved good enough for third. Darwin used a Bushnell-scoped .25 Daystate Safari shooting 34 grain JSBs at 890 FPS. Good shooting, Darwin.

A 23/40 tie for fourth place between John Johnson and Chuck Misenheimer was decided by JJ’s 6 of 10 (higher) turkey count. John used an Athlon-scoped .22 Red Wolf getting 940 FPS; my guess being with 25.4 grain pellets of JSB manufacture. Chuck shot a .22 Daystate Safari topped with a 4.5-29X Athlon Cronus scope, shooting 25 grain JSBs at 930 FPS. Good shooting, Gentlemen.

New airgun competitor Bryan Thacker posted a 15/40 with a Bushnell equipped .25 Daystate Safari, shooting 34 grain JSBs 890 FPS. And young Cash (Corcorran?) shot an 11/40 with Bobby Corcorran’s Delta Wolf in his first competition effort.

Last and certainly least, Match Director Ron Robinson posted a DQ after violating one of very few TBRS shooting rules by using a sandbag under the butt of his .22 Brocock Bantam Hi-Lite while engaging his first bank of (turkey) targets. That bone-head mistake actually proved quite fortunate, considering it saves me the humiliation of disclosing my “score”. Which begs the question…

Was said good fortune by brilliantly clever design; or blind, stupid luck? Only my hairdresser and psychiatrist know for sure. BTW, they're one and the same.

M in snow.1644276336.jpg

Always fun hangin out with you and shooting at your place 👍😎. Your report is always enjoyable as well.

The people who stayed home really missed out. Nice challenge and pretty cool having everything covered in snow while the sun kept us warm. We only encountered 1 icy patch on the 2.5 hour drive each way so the fears of bad roads were unwarranted.

Wish there had been time to run a 2nd round . I wouldn't have minded a 35 ft lb attempt. BTW, I'd vote for the brilliantly clever by design 😉

Bob

"What were the wind speeds like?"

At the risk of being misconstrued as possibly slightly SANE, the reason I chose to shoot the Thirty-Five Foot-pound class is I ignored my usual reluctance to lend any credence whatsoever to weather forecasters' attempts at positive spin, and actually lent some credence to wind-speed forecasts of 4-6 MPH (all day). STUPID ME!

But to answer your question Ez, in my opinion the wind speeds were "like" 15-20 MPH... and constantly shifting directions faster than you could get a read on them. 

Kind'a reminds me of that time I tried to jakov a bobcat in the middle of a cactus patch with a fist full of barbed-wire...

IT WASN'T PRETTY!