• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Favorites can change

Had some free time yesterday so the RWS 460 came out to see if I could still pull the cocking arm until it clicked. The first pattern was a bit loose so after snugging the scope and stock screws it was easily putting pellets in a 1" circle at 30 yards. Fed it another pellet with the muzzle high and it fell back out of the breech. Never did that before - They were the 10.34g pellets for another gun. Got the 13.43's I'd been feeding it and the group opened up to more than twice the size. Back to the 10.34's and back to the better grouping. 

So the 460's favorite pellet has changed, along with my assumptions of heavier and tight fitting pellets being the most accurate. The rest of the day was really good, too. 

Hope y'all had a Great Thanksgiving

Buck n Willcox

Is it a new tin of 13.43s or is it the same tin you last used in your rifle? There may be slight variance between batches.

Did you try to use a pellet seating tool to snug it further into the breech, that often helps.

If you have a slightly oversized breech then the Crosman Premier 10.5s may be worth trying.

The Eun Jin Seneca 16.1gr Domes shot well in many of my magnum 177s too and I would definitely recommend them.

CA

Thanks Coldair for the suggestion on the Eun Jin's. In the interest of making this as clean a test as I could the pellet sizer was used so the the heads were the same diameter. With the 10.34's doing a lot better than the 13.43's I figured it'd be a good idea to keep the muzzle down, anyway. These are both JSB Match Heavies. The 13's have a much thicker mid section which may make the flare stiffer. My own take-away was that a pellet need not fit snug to get good accuracy.The flare may actually be more flexible as well. 

In your particular case where you are noticing a looser pellet fit into the breech, I would recommend a pelletgage instead of sizing them to sort them in batches of various head sizes for that particular gun and I might add that many springers shoot more accurately with unsized but only sorted pellets believe it or not. In your case it sounds like your sizer may be sizing them a bit too small for that particular gun.

A little resistance is better than loose fitting in your specific case.

I can assure you that you will not have any loose fitting pellets when trying out the Seneca (Eun Jin) 16.1gr domes.

Crosman 10.5s may have larger head size if you get a decent tin FYI.

CA

CA, I should have spelled it right, the Pelletgage is what I'm using. With that as the base I used pellets with the same head size from each weight. Before getting into the critical test a number of head sizes of each weight category was used with the same breech seating characteristics : 10.34's fitting loosely and 13.43's snug. But they were both 4.53 through the pelletgage. So I'm still thinking its the weight at the center of the pellet holding the flare more rigidly on the 13.43 giving a tighter fit when loading. The 10.34 floats in while the skirt more easily contacts the rifling which, for whatever reason is working well with this gun at this time. I put it like that because the JSB 13.43 was easily the best a year ago. I was using the "wrong" pellets which started this quest and as far as this RWS goes it's favorite has changed. 

I am intrigued with the Eun Jin's though and will ry them, too.

On a side note... the harmonics can change as the spring settles in, or as internals adjust over time. My 97 used to drop AA Field Heavies in 1/4" groups at 25 with no effort. Now it struggles to hold 2" groups @ 25 with AA Heavys. And that is with the exact same pellets from the same tin.

Now Baracuda's are my 97's best friends. 

We can blame the pellets, but there are many other variables to consider.