• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Favorite Straight Forward, Simple but Rugged PCP Platforms

Just posted this pic to "Airguns you didn't regret" post. The quintessential rugged, simple, reliable & supremely accurate Airguns! They "need" cleaning MAYBE once a year! Sometimes not even that. I'm a low maintenance kind of guy & like my guns that way too!View attachment 311111
@Gerry52 FX Boss and Bobcat. I was expecting this post and another that hasn’t chimed in yet. I can’t recall, is one a Royale?

Here is the Rapid MKII that Allen Zasadny converted from the sporter trigger to the Mark 4 trigger cartridge....
The White arrows points to the O-ring used in the standard MKII..... Non-reg but very consistent !!!!!
Simple, accurate, consistent, very easy to maintain and service!!!!
o-rings2_1_.jpg

O-rings%20in%20MKII%20ver2.jpg

Last edited:
Lol .. Well that is entirely a different animal than first asked. :ROFLMAO:
@Motorhead Probably. I still have much to learn so I’m thankful for the corrections. I’m primarily concerned with platforms that are rugged and fairly easy to maintain and work on. I’m thinking if the platform is straightforward and simple then after it’s been modified it shouldn’t be too difficult to maintain. But that’s me using my imagination with a rudimentary understanding. Parts availability is also a concern.

Reactions: Motorhead
Straight-forward? Simple? Rugged?

That would be the USFT, unregulated version. All that it lacks in the aesthetics dept is more than made up for where it counts (which is somewhat of an answer to the other currently running discussion about how much looks matter).

Airforce is probably in there somewhere near the top of the "simple but rugged" list.

Straight-forward? Simple? Rugged?

That would be the USFT, unregulated version. All that it lacks in the aesthetics dept is more than made up for where it counts (which is somewhat of an answer to the other currently running discussion about how much looks matter).

Airforce is probably in there somewhere near the top of the "simple but rugged" list.
@Franklink I’ve seen one or two. They’re funny looking, but I’m under the impression that they’re accurate rifles for competition. However, I don’t know how efficient one would be in a hunting situation. I also don’t know what type of power can be generated in say .22 caliber.

@Franklink I’ve seen one or two. They’re funny looking, but I’m under the impression that they’re accurate rifles for competition. However, I don’t know how efficient one would be in a hunting situation. I also don’t know what type of power can be generated in say .22 caliber.
VERY accurate.

With some changes to the valve stem and hammer weight and hammer spring the unregulated/tubed versions like mine can do 45-50fpe in .22 but you're right, they're too long and not great for hunting. I've sniped pdogs out to 115 yards with mine and took starlings and euros out from the tops of trees at a feedlot. In both cases, used as a sort of sniping pcp from a hide. Works great for that, but for carrying around through the woods or brush....nah.

The big pros for them are the never changing poi and the uber-reliability. They were also purpose built to be shot from somebody sitting on a bumbag on the ground. So, basically field target. But super simple and super rugged.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
I’ve been thinking about this for a couple of weeks. I’m looking for ideas concerning a straightforward platform build that is pretty simple without a lot of small and intricate internal parts with tiny springs, balls bearings, plastic, or (a dozen) o-rings. Unregulated is fine. Preferably an airgun that’s fairly easy to disassemble and service that isn’t built awkwardly or unusually. I prefer a hunting gun (.22 - .45), but whatever you can think of that fits the bill is fine. I’d like to read your suggestions. If you can recall previous threads like this one please link them in this one. Thanks folks.
Prophet and Taipan are two that I have and would certainly put in that ballpark.

Reactions: Scotty1
DF76B1CA-A98A-4FD4-9299-45F8316DA30D.jpeg
Cant speak to the Prophet 2, but the original performance is rugged and simple, with minimal o-rings. The barrel is pretty much pellet only, but certainly excels at that. The new barrel will shoot both, and I’m in line for that when available. The steampunk-ish looks are what they are, but I’ve always liked it for some odd reason.

Reactions: Raindance
View attachment 311360Cant speak to the Prophet 2, but the original performance is rugged and simple, with minimal o-rings. The barrel is pretty much pellet only, but certainly excels at that. The new barrel will shoot both, and I’m in line for that when available. The steampunk-ish looks are what they are, but I’ve always liked it for some odd reason.
Damn! That is sexy!

Regards