Favorite Spring Gun? and Why?

1570581489_3028069815d9d2bf117aa81.21754267_IMG_20191007_111411.jpg
I own three springers. Three multiple pump and a couple of pistols. My favorite for shooting targets are my Benjamin's and my .22 Cal break barrel. I only shoot my pistols on occasion. For hunting my favorite rifles are my .25 but for the last year it has been mostly replaced by my Hatsan MOD 135 Vortex QE30 caliber. It's a beast in the field, critters cower when they hear me coming!
1570580696_3914206835d9d28d8c30e47.24413595_20191007_182631.png
I o
1570580475_344633125d9d27fbd28384.13975796_IMG_20191007_111540.jpg

Greenarrow, flat head pellets are the standard for competition such as the Olympics, at short range on rats and squirrels they deliver sufficient energy to ensure a clean kill without the fear it will go right through and perhaps cause secondary damage.

My Anschutz 2002 CA 10m pcp did well with wadcutters out to 20 yards. Beyond that Air Arms domed pellets ruled in accuracy. 16 yards isn’t a great distance so it shouldn’t surprise me that wadcutters do well in yours. I haven’t had as good results in my higher powered guns but that’s just me. I wish that I hadn’t sold that rifle.

1570764951_2735415695d9ff897e32b44.52206096_166B97A7-9BDD-441A-97E3-887D71E0672F.jpeg

I really enjoy my beeman silver kodiak in .22. Didn't cost much money and hits targets well.

That’s great man! I enjoy your videos. It’s great to find an inexpensive gun that performs as desired. Honestly, all I need is one decent shooter for cheap to do my backyard airgunning. Somewhere along the way I fell into the “more is better” trap and now I have some higher priced stuff. They all do basically the same thing, put a pellet where I point it. And they are ALL fun!

I think that I could be content with any one of those! Nice collection there. I love the look of the Tyrolean stocks but I have never shot one. How do they feel on the cheek? It looks like it could be awkward?

The Tryrolean stock is a traditional German style of course, famous from the “scheutzen” match guns of old which often had very elaborate stocks custom-fitted to the shooter. The modern Tyros on target airguns are not that extreme of course, but still are made in small batches with a lot of hand work. FWB, Walther, Diana, and HW all offered Tyro stocks on their classic post-war springer match rifles - to my eye Weihrauch’s are the prettiest by far, being the only ones to retain the traditional tapered fore end.

While not obvious in pics, the HW 55’s Tyro stock is not just a big concave cheekpiece stuck on a standard stock. Compared to the classic HW 55M, the Tyro grip is closer to the trigger, the “pull” dimension is significantly shorter, and there is more drop at the heel. Gives a nice compact, close-in hold, and a more head’s-up stance. The concave shape is extremely comfortable, aligns your eye closely with the sight line, and doesn’t let your head move much (Tyros were outlawed for 10-meter competition because they make it TOO easy to be consistent, LOL). And the little “lip” at the front of the cheekpiece actually touches the shooters lips and serves as an additional positioning reference.

I’m lucky to have three 55T’s. This one is from 1956 - early example of the Rekord trigger. Note the finger-groove fore end, early-style sight, and infamous red rubber buttplate (which deteriorate over time due to internal chemical reactions). The cheekpiece on this one is a little off for me, pulls my eye too far to the left.

1570291726_8195150955d98c00e957075.54492043_C26B7D35-7B16-485F-B210-4A4C9C23FDCA.jpeg

This one was made in 1969. A real beauty and fits me perfectly. Note the large areas of checkering.

1570291856_15394175115d98c09019faa8.21333833_B0D50E10-FCDC-4E8C-A778-63E426B8E4B0.jpeg

This one dates from 1991, a Beeman-labeled gun from I’m guessing one of the final production runs. Reduced checkering and an interesting dark finish.

1570291953_407785245d98c0f1a48e50.87662234_E66631EE-7446-4CE1-BF53-833ABBFB0719.jpeg

Greenarrow,

The sensation of shouldering an air arm with a Tyrolean stock for the first time is more an unfamiliar feel than an awkward feel. As Mr. Driskill pointed out, it changes your shooting posture but you can get comfortable with it quickly if it fits your build. I've seen really big guys have to place their cheek way back on a stock because they can't scoot up on their gun any closer and for them, a Tyrolean that requires you to place your face in just one position on the stock may not work.

I am fortunate to own an HW55 Tyrolean and after quickly getting used to it found it's ergonomics much more comfortable and the gun easier to control than an HW55M or S.

Thanks for those insights fellas! I appreciate that. Now the issue.... where to get one for myself? I’ll have to keep an eye out for one.

I've only owned half a dozen spring rifles. One of them has gotten away. My R10 in .177 was loaned to a brother. He son managed to destroy it. Ah, well. That was a nice rifle and it had been back to Beeman for a blueprint and tune. I had a D350 in .177 but that rifle was just too much power for that small bore. I gave it away. It will make meat for my grandkids for a long time. I bought a D48 a long time ago. It is marked "Made in West Germany". I had it tuned by Gene, before he passed, I was not impressed. I then had it tuned by John in Pa. and that rifle is a really fine shooter now. All my Diana's were tuned by John and he does as good a job as anyone you can name. Every rifle comes back from him as perfect as I've ever shot. I also have a BSA GRT Lightning in .25 which has not been tuned and can't hold a candle to the other rifles on a bench. It could if I sent it to be tuned by John, no doubt, but take it into the woods and it comes alive in your hands. So I think all my rifles are my favorites and each one is a favorite for a specific purpose.

Bummer about the R10. I guess I am like you, I enjoy all of them for one thing or another. Tonight I shot the humble P17 and then an FX Wildcat. I was planning on grabbing the HW97K but I ended up making an outdoor fire with the kids and playing with them until dark. Good times!

My first was a Benjamin Trail. Pretty good shooting for the $.

I have a friend that has one of the Crosman Nitro Piston guns and his is right on the money even using those Crosman pointed pellets! Pellets all touching at 15-20 yards. That’s as good as any other brand of spring gun. Gotta like it when we find a good shooter!

HW35L. My first quality air rifle. Mowed yards for a summer then had to wait the 4 to 6 weeks for delivery. Started the passion that became AOA. The Benjamin Sterling is another of my favorites because the build quality and high level of odd. The Park rifle because it uses a bicycle chain to compress the twin pistons, crazy cool.

That’s great! Thanks for chiming in.

I bought my R9 Goldfinger combo from your shop (over the phone) in 2007 when I started my airgun journey. I have been hooked ever since. I think I have purchased 6 air rifles from AoA over those past 12 years. Keep up the good work!

walter3rd - I love the 97s also! What model Hawke scope is that on yours? What reticle does it have? Is yours stock or have you done any work on it? I think my 97 is shooting 11 fpe? I would have to verify that. I bought mine used and it was already worked over by the previous owner. It was great right out of the box when I got it so I haven’t done a thing to mine. I believe it has a Vortek kit in it but I’m not positive on that either! Ha ha! It just works so I haven’t even committed the specs to my memory. It’s a grab and go gun. Always spot on.

Its so hard to say which one of my collection is my favorite. For all 'round usefulness, I'd have to say my .25 cal Hatsan 135 that I put on a 130 stock. For accuracy, I'd say my .22 cal HW97kt. For accuracy, stock, and interesting shooting cycle, I'd say my .22cal Diana 56.

Hey, what .22 cal pellets does your 97 like? I have a .177 but I’m thinking about trying a .22. I have one .22 HW which is actually branded as the R9. It like the H&N FTT 5.53 heads the best.

What is it about your 56 that makes it an interesting shot cycle? I have not ever handled one myself, that is why I ask.

thanks!

So I have a short update. Took the TX200 off the bucket list. Had the opportunity to shoot one at EBR and, well,...... I didn’t like it. Still very beautiful gun, but didn’t care for the loading process. 

But.... I do have an HW97 on the way, & it’s a looker.

That’s good and bad? I haven’t shot a TX either. I would like to try one but I don’t want to pay to play. It would be nice to try one out like you did.

Definitely keep us posted on the 97 you have coming your way! Funny thing is I have been thinking about possibly trying one in .22. Mine is .177. What caliber do you have coming?

It’s in .177, caved in & picked up the blue one KDog was selling. I don’t think I want any more springers in .22 for now. My .22 LGV fills that niche quite nicely. It’s extremely accurate, but I prefer the .177. 

To be fair, the TX200 I shot could have been me, or just not tuned to my liking (was very twangy) But what turned me completely off was that Unbearable anti-bear trap. Real shame, cause they are beautiful. Maybe it was not in good working order, I have no way to know. 

It’s in .177, caved in & picked up the blue one KDog was selling. I don’t think I want any more springers in .22 for now. My .22 LGV fills that niche quite nicely. It’s extremely accurate, but I prefer the .177. 

To be fair, the TX200 I shot could have been me, or just not tuned to my liking (was very twangy) But what turned me completely off was that Unbearable anti-bear trap. Real shame, cause they are beautiful. Maybe it was not in good working order, I have no way to know.

Some would advise against this...

I took off the bear trap mechanism on my 77. It’s the same on the 97. I did that so that I could decock the rifle. I keep my hand on the cocking arm/barrel when cocking anyway just in case something fails and the spring slams the gun closed.

This is a video I made showing how to cock an air rifle. The main point I tried to show was to hold the cocking lever/barrel. I have watched a lot of people on YT, even some experienced shooters, not holding onto those barrels. It makes me cringe when I see that. I had to train myself to keep holding on and I feel it’s worth it to get that habit ingrained in the mind and muscles.

https://youtu.be/Qs5hkA59vno