Favorite Spring Gun? and Why?

I can’t recall what my favourite airrifle was but I do recall it was made in England, so it was probably a Bsa. Dad bought it for me for my ninth birthday. That was 56 years ago. It was a 177 and I could buy pellets at the corner shop along with fire crackers. I must have been a crack shooter back then because the sparrow population went to nearly zero. We used to get I think around one penny a head from the council.

My mates and I would make canoes out of sheet iorn, tar and wood and spears out of dowel with straightened fish hooks and camp down at the river on weekends. In the early morning when the mist was on the water we would paddle up to snoozing ducks and shoot them with my 177 whilst spearing mullet and bream in the shallows. We were well fed then.

I can’t recall what happened to it. I still had when I left home but it disappeared in the constant moving in my youth. I have favourite air rifles now but when I recall our adventures back then I suppose that why it was my favourite springer.

Gary

I can’t recall what my favourite airrifle was but I do recall it was made in England, so it was probably a Bsa. Dad bought it for me for my ninth birthday. That was 56 years ago. It was a 177 and I could buy pellets at the corner shop along with fire crackers. I must have been a crack shooter back then because the sparrow population went to nearly zero. We used to get I think around one penny a head from the council.

My mates and I would make canoes out of sheet iorn, tar and wood and spears out of dowel with straightened fish hooks and camp down at the river on weekends. In the early morning when the mist was on the water we would paddle up to snoozing ducks and shoot them with my 177 whilst spearing mullet and bream in the shallows. We were well fed then.

I can’t recall what happened to it. I still had when I left home but it disappeared in the constant moving in my youth. I have favourite air rifles now but when I recall our adventures back then I suppose that why it was my favourite springer.

Gary

Thank you for sharing that wonderful memory!

My very first favorite would have to be my FWB 124

Mike, I'm with you on this one with exception ....mine is/was the FWB 127, the .22 version of the venerable FWB Sport. Btw...absolutely drop dead gorgeous stock on that girl!

I was a little older than you when I bought my first true airgun. My friends all had HW rifles...R1, R10...in .177. Pellet speed was the bragging right. I wanted to be different. I was well aware of Robert Law and Dr. B. and all the hype around the FWB line. So, I got a new FWB 127D ....a .22. I even got talked into the walnut stock....available only in 1983....by the salesman. And a scope...66R...he said. He knew his stuff in hindsite.

My friend's all laughed at 570 fps. !! What a dog, they said. But they all loved the look of it. It wasn't until they saw how accurate it was that they started to believe. I remember a shot I made after all the 177s missed. Dropped that sucka with a pop!! They couldn't believe it! I guess it was fate that made me an FWB Sport collector. I guess every "dog" does have his day.

1569626359_83848455d8e98f796bb97.55937421_IMG_2586-2.JPG

1569629372_5151253645d8ea4bc628865.70813815_C68A6AD2-D0EE-4F0D-AF89-6C1FFFBD6527.jpeg
1569629372_11813870075d8ea4bcb73d66.45370793_36C26A25-6714-4EC6-B6D3-92E9B5A125FC.jpeg

TX200HC, walnut stock, Rowan cocking assist handle, trigger guard and set back trigger, Optisan Viper 4-16x50with Scopewerks side wheel, BKL one piece scope mount. Used primarily for hunter field target, tuned to just under 12 ft. lbs. One of two springers that I own, this one is just a great shooter and looks pretty good too imo. 

Wow! A lot of great choices out there. Now I realize how many springers that I have NOT had any experience with.

joek - BSA with a peep and can’t miss. That’s great!

r1lover - I thought for sure you would say the R1? But a HW55S? Awesome!

uglymike - another LGV vote. I need to try a Walther.....

Brad - Those make a nice trio of 97s..... How do you find the time to shoot them all? Ha ha!

Mr. Vines - a couple more for the 97s... Not just any 97 though. Those are some wild stocks. I love it!

Glenroiland - hard work pays off doesn’t it. Good job! I have not shot a 48. That was a SMOKING deal!

Walter3rd - another 97 in the winners circle! Maybe we should start our own section just for the 97? Ha ha!

jps - FWBs ARE SUPERB! I do like mine.... a lot.

GSAirgunner - you are the first for the RX1! That’s another one that I haven’t shot.

DesertS - another one for the 48. M48? Is that different from just a 48? I have no clue.

Windmill - I loved reading about your adventures! It would be nice to live like that again.

John - WOW! Still in the styrofoam box! Do you shoot it much? Just a collector? Nice rifle either way.

Joekrooz - A functioning beauty! That’s almost as good a a woman that is smart AND pretty. Ha ha! Glad that I married one... or should I say married me? Maybe she isn’t so smart if she married me? Anyway...... 🤪

stewie - you are the first for the PS! That’s a great looking rifle. Nice addition with the moderator.

Wow! A lot of great choices out there. Now I realize how many springers that I have NOT had any experience with.

Brad - Those make a nice trio of 97s..... How do you find the time to shoot them all? Ha ha!

Mr. Vines - a couple more for the 97s... Not just any 97 though. Those are some wild stocks. I love it!

Glenroiland - hard work pays off doesn’t it. Good job! I have not shot a 48. That was a SMOKING deal!

Walter3rd - another 97 in the winners circle! Maybe we should start our own section just for the 97? Ha ha!

GSAirgunner - you are the first for the RX1! That’s another one that I haven’t shot.

DesertS - another one for the 48. M48? Is that different from just a 48? I have no clue.

Windmill - I loved reading about your adventures! It would be nice to live like that again.

John - WOW! Still in the styrofoam box! Do you shoot it much? Just a collector? Nice rifle either way.

Joekrooz - A functioning beauty! That’s almost as good a a woman that is smart AND pretty. Ha ha! Glad that I married one... or should I say married me? Maybe she isn’t so smart if she married me? Anyway......
1f92a.svg

stewie - you are the first for the PS! That’s a great looking rifle. Nice addition with the moderator.

I'm a big fan of your personalized response! Thank you for your effort in this entertaining thread.

I had a 33 s with the R-8 markings on the other side. It shot so sweet. In .177 at that speed, it was useless to me, but you won't find a nicer shooting gun. I traded it for a TM steroid Sheridan. since I am primarily a hunter.

I would likely pick a gun I never owned, but shot quite a bit, since I require hunting speeds. The little lowly 34. It was the base model and did not even have a buttplate. It would literally stack pellets if you did your part, session after session. Had one of the old 2 x 7 BSA airgun scopes on it, and shot Gamo Hunters a little better than JSB's. The range then was 40 yards, and at 40 yards, it was accurate.

Joekrooz - A functioning beauty! That’s almost as good a a woman that is smart AND pretty. Ha ha! Glad that I married one... or should I say married me? Maybe she isn’t so smart if she married me? Anyway......
1f92a.svg

I'm a big fan of your personalized response! Thank you for your effort in this entertaining thread.

Thanks Glen! The forums (airgun) are my form of social media. My family are my friends. Work relationships are just that, for work. We attend and are active at church but most of those relationships are while at church services. Some extend outside those 4 walls but because of location they aren’t regular. At times, I have quite a bit of stand-by time at work and that is when I try to catch up on the forums. Well, that’s me! Ha ha!

Thanks Glen! The forums (airgun) are my form of social media. My family are my friends. Work relationships are just that, for work. We attend and are active at church but most of those relationships are while at church services. Some extend outside those 4 walls but because of location they aren’t regular. At times, I have quite a bit of stand-by time at work and that is when I try to catch up on the forums. Well, that’s me! Ha ha!

We sound like we are living parallel lives..just recently we began trying to connect at our church by joining a life group. Now I may actually gain some friends that are not family!

John – WOW! Still in the styrofoam box! Do you shoot it much? Just a collector? Nice rifle either way

Thanks for your kindness. I am enjoying your thread. Made me think.

ALL of my rifles get their turn in a regular rotation. I used to run a truck operation and did PMs on a regular basis. Easy to keep track of things...especially when you have over 15 rifles to steward. 

I use the 127 regularly. It is so consistent and predictable that even after not shooting it for a cycle, it's like shaking hands with an old friend when I pick it back up. I guess after a few decades it gets that way with possessions. I find myself talking to my 20 year old Jeep Wrangler all the time. Lol

I had a 33 s with the R-8 markings on the other side. It shot so sweet. In .177 at that speed, it was useless to me, but you won't find a nicer shooting gun. I traded it for a TM steroid Sheridan. since I am primarily a hunter.

I would likely pick a gun I never owned, but shot quite a bit, since I require hunting speeds. The little lowly 34. It was the base model and did not even have a buttplate. It would literally stack pellets if you did your part, session after session. Had one of the old 2 x 7 BSA airgun scopes on it, and shot Gamo Hunters a little better than JSB's. The range then was 40 yards, and at 40 yards, it was accurate.

Shock, you are the first for the 34! I’m surprised that it hasn’t come up yet. Seems to me like the 34 is the R9/95 in the Weihrauch line. I started off heading down the HW/Beeman path and I was satisfied so I guess that’s where I stayed. I’m not regretting it by any means but maybe I should try out some of these other spring guns from different makers instead of trying the different PCPs? I could probably save a couple dollars by sticking to the spring guns vs. pcp. 🤪

I don't. I haven't shot in a good while. But I will. I am sold on Weihrauch rifles. I got 3 more. This HW77K was my first that started the craze.
1569691208_5569571715d8f9648eebe36.46361940_sCKwEia.jpg
1569691209_7511598195d8f9649c373e2.29695967_IMG_20190409_211607.jpg
1569691210_2520304955d8f964ad5f287.91616718_IMG_20190225_170132.jpg

I like the laminate! 

My first air rifle (as an adult) was the Gamo BigCat 1200. Soon after I jumped up to the .22 R9 Goldfinger. That was a BIG leap to pay $600+/- for an air rifle. Boy, have the prices came down since then. A person can hardly give away a spring gun today. How times have changed. That was 2007.

Next purchase was the HW30S .177 maybe a couple years after the R9. I figured I was done back then. I kept on coming back to the forums and that only fueled the flame for wanting to try more guns out. The rifles kept coming in but never leaving. Ha ha!

Next purchase was the HW77K with the old style stock. At least that is what was pictured on the website. When it arrived it had the new style stock on it. I was a little let down but I kept it. I preferred the older style, more classic looking to me. Anyway, I eventually did a WTB ad for an old style stock and had a quick response to it. I got it and was soooo much happier. I sold the newer stock off to make up for the purchase of the old style. I eventually reshaped the 77 stock some, mostly in the grip and cheek area (thinning) and I did my first attempt at checkering. It turned out good enough. I’m pleased with my first (only) attempt at it. I would love to have an old style laminate stocked version of the 77. I have daydreamed about buying a new one like yours and reshaping and refinishing it to look like the old style shape. I just don’t have the time or motivation to do it. Someday maybe.

1569709633_8578102155d8fde41909f87.18101869_64C1B321-9661-4832-B13C-42C6449D44D9.jpeg
1569709634_10751358255d8fde42154f34.13569931_A526749C-480E-4097-82A9-1C21F30821E5.jpeg

John – WOW! Still in the styrofoam box! Do you shoot it much? Just a collector? Nice rifle either way

Thanks for your kindness. I am enjoying your thread. Made me think.

ALL of my rifles get their turn in a regular rotation. I used to run a truck operation and did PMs on a regular basis. Easy to keep track of things...especially when you have over 15 rifles to steward. 

I use the 127 regularly. It is so consistent and predictable that even after not shooting it for a cycle, it's like shaking hands with an old friend when I pick it back up. I guess after a few decades it gets that way with possessions. I find myself talking to my 20 year old Jeep Wrangler all the time. Lol

Good to hear that it’s getting exercised!

I don’t know if you remember or not but, I bought that project HW35 from you a while back. I never got to do to it what I wanted to do with it so after a couple years I sold it to another airgunner, hoping he was going to work it over. He hasn’t done so yet either. I sometimes think about offering to buy it back but I know I won’t get to it.

Also, it’s a small community in the airgun world. I met one of your acquaintances over here just a few minutes away from where I live not too long ago when he was selling a synthetic .22 Wildcat. I didn’t purchase the rifle but I met a local airgunner. I’m in WA State. I won’t mention any names here but a hint is that he lives in Auburn. Take care!

Greenarrow, that is a nice HW77K. You got some nice toys.

Thanks Brad! Shooting airguns has been a great activity to keep me close to home. I have spent a lot of money on them but the expense has been spread out over the past 12 years. I shoot nearly everyday!!! Just today, before work (there now), I pumped up my Streamline and shot 3 magazines worth of pellets (33 shots) at some cardboard and dandelions growing in the grass. Put it away still charged with enough air to POP any vermin should the need arise unexpectedly. Ha ha!