• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Favorite scope under 20oz

What is your favorite scope thats under 20oz? What are the specs?

I like the vortex 3-15 lht I'm currently using but it has its drawbacks. I'm curious what else people are using.

20230828_173756.jpg

Reactions: Deerstalker
I had the same Vortex, 3-15 LRT, for a brief time last year. I couldn’t get it to focus properly, it likely had some manufacturing issues, I was able to return it to my dealer, and he outfitted me with a different scope.

I also have the Leopold 3-9, EFR. Which I think is an awesome scope. I wish they made a 3 to 12. Leopold scopes, have a pretty mushy reticles.

I like the looks of Maven scopes. I believe they have a couple under 20 ounces.

SWFA has a ultralight scope that comes in at 9.5 ounces. The parallax is set at 50 yards, so if you’re going to be using this for hunting or pesting, at lower power settings, you should be good to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nealgl1985
I think the only one I have under 20 ounces is the Hawke Vantage 2-7X on my Prod. I like that scope but it doesn't work well for targets. The 3-9 would be a better all around choice and is still just 17 ounces. For a more modern scope, the Vector Veyron 3-12 is under 20 ounces and the 4-16 is rated at exactly 20 ounces. I haven't purchased a Veyron yet but probably will end up with at least one. They seem like a relatively low priced scope that is small and light and still decent quality (based upon reviews).

I second the Vector Veyron 3-12x44 FFP. Although, I don’t know its weight offhand.
I think they are around 17.5 oz. I have one on my Veteran Shorty and it seems like a good fit. I haven’t had it out in the woods yet to be able give it a good trying out but it seems to be a great little scope for the price. I opted for the second focal plane version after reading that the reticule is hard to see on lower magnification on the FFP.

Last edited:
I think they are around 17.5 oz. I have one on my Veteran Shorty and it seems like a good fit. I haven’t had it out in the woods yet to be able give it a good trying out but it seems to be a great little scope for the price. I opted for the second focal plane version after reading that the reticule is hard to see on lower magnification on the FFP.
About that.
IMG_2051.jpeg

There are twin sisters to the Vector Veyron 3-12x44 FFP — and all these have thick outside posts to draw the eye toward the center of the crosshairs when on low mag, unlike the Vector.

▪ Discovery HD 3-12x44 FFP (with IR and gridded reticle): 20.3oz
▪ Discovery VT-3 3-12x44 FFP:
▪ US Optics TS-12X 3-12x44 FFP: 18.1oz

Matthias

Have the VV 4-12 as well, wasn't enough magnification for shooting dime-size circles @ 50 yds. Own three 6-24x44FFP, couldn't be more satisfied but reticle is thin @ lower magnification. Optics Warehouse (UK) sold first for $196, latest $257, high-priced shipping included. Like to own a few more, super subcompact size and phenomenal glass make this scope a no-brainer. WM

What is your favorite scope thats under 20oz? What are the specs?

I like the vortex 3-15 lht I'm currently using but it has its drawbacks. I'm curious what else people are using.

View attachment 386891
What are the drawbacks that you are wanting to correct as far as the scope goes? Length and/or weight? I'm using a couple of different light weight scopes that I like on the AAA rifles that 'check off all the boxes' that I want in a scope. The Nightforce NX8 1-8×24 is a good little scope at 17 oz. and crystal clear, but no parallax adjustment (it's accurate and easy to get behind though). Here's a pic of the size difference with a longer scope similar to yours.

slayer-scopes.jpg

23.5 oz Sightron3-16x42, it is a SFP
in the classifieds here 275 for a 400 scope,,, not mine, but he is a good seller,, ( Edit: it sold, not to long after my posting here, )
here is mine
20230908_121136-1.jpeg

Last edited:
What are the drawbacks that you are wanting to correct as far as the scope goes? Length and/or weight? I'm using a couple of different light weight scopes that I like on the AAA rifles that 'check off all the boxes' that I want in a scope. The Nightforce NX8 1-8×24 is a good little scope at 17 oz. and crystal clear, but no parallax adjustment (it's accurate and easy to get behind though). Here's a pic of the size difference with a longer scope similar to yours.

View attachment 387228
Only draw backs I can see is the turrets dont feel like $1k range turrets(not a huge deal for me since I set it and forget it and use holdovers), parallax is min of 20 yards, not as rugged as the night force on your slayer but usually ruggedness adds weight. At 19 oz I can't really complain but I have only been shooting 50-100 yards with it so when I start shooting 5-15 yards we will see if the parallax at 20 yards becomes a problem.

How's the eyebox on the nightforce at higher magnification? Is it easy to get behind or does it become finicky?

I'm not trying to correct any drawbacks just mentioning that I like it but it isn't perfect. I'm just curious what everyone else is using and getting enjoyment out of. I appreciate the replies! 😊

Reactions: Airgun-hobbyist
Only draw backs I can see is the turrets dont feel like $1k range turrets(not a huge deal for me since I set it and forget it and use holdovers), parallax is min of 20 yards, not as rugged as the night force on your slayer but usually ruggedness adds weight. At 19 oz I can't really complain but I have only been shooting 50-100 yards with it so when I start shooting 5-15 yards we will see if the parallax at 20 yards becomes a problem.

How's the eyebox on the nightforce at higher magnification? Is it easy to get behind or does it become finicky?

I'm not trying to correct any drawbacks just mentioning that I like it but it isn't perfect. I'm just curious what everyone else is using and getting enjoyment out of. I appreciate the replies! 😊
I have found with parallax adjustment at closer ranges than the minimum adjustment calls for, or on this lpvo scope with a 125 yard fixed setting, simply dialing parallax to minimum works along with some dialing down of the variable power to make the image crisper works great. And I make sure that I am squarely behind the eyepiece to correct parallax.

On the Slayer with the lpvo Nightforce 1-8×24 the eye box is easy for me to get behind. I set up my hunting rigs with whatever appropriate ring height dictates so when I pull the butt stock up to the shoulder and cheek, the scope is really close to being aligned. The Slayer is different than the Evol with respect to the scope height, but both come up to the shoulder and eye well.

Have the VV 4-12 as well, wasn't enough magnification for shooting dime-size circles @ 50 yds. Own three 6-24x44FFP, couldn't be more satisfied but reticle is thin @ lower magnification. Optics Warehouse (UK) sold first for $196, latest $257, high-priced shipping included. Like to own a few more, super subcompact size and phenomenal glass make this scope a no-brainer. WM

Considering how much I'd like a 6-24x44 on my FX Wildcat MK3 .30 Sniper but refusing to pay Amazon $299 or Optics Warehouse (UK) $270, decided to visit Krale's (Netherlands) Optics Department. Found VV 6-24x44 (IR) SFP w/MPR-V10 etched reticle for $181, $210 to my door. Will be my first VV with IR and SFP but MPR-V10 reticle is impressive, and IR (I think) is just a small red dot at crosshair center, when activated. Looking forward to delivery. WM