Favorite or Top rated .30 or .357 Semi Auto

Hello everyone. Looking to purchase my first PCP. Been doing tons of research and as many of you know the choices are daunting! I really like the Evanix GTL 480 in .357, I know it's no longer in production, but have seen a few for sale and know there are some people out there willing to part with theirs. To those that have the GTL 480 what do you think? Any other suggestions for Semi Auto .30 or .357 over the Evanix? Thanks in advance.

I can recommend the two I have with confidence. One would be the AAA ( American Air Arms) .357 Slayer. I don't think you'll find a better built gun anywhere, if you like that style of a frame. They also have the .457 Slayer if wanting to really reach out there, and also the new .30 cal EVOL in a more traditional style. It's definitely worth checking out the site if wanting high-end. I have mine tuned to 280 FPE currently. The wait could be long though unless you post up wanting a used one, like I did.

The other is the FX Impact in .30 cal with a 700mm barrel. Mine is currently set at 98 FPE. Both are repeaters with mags. The FX holds 28 projectiles while the Slayer holds six in its mag. Both are amazingly accurate, which makes them really enjoyable.

I wouldn't recommend a semi-auto as your first PCP, but the fun factor is there, and you could learn from the experience.

I can recommend the two I have with confidence. One would be the AAA ( American Air Arms) .357 Slayer. I don't think you'll find a better built gun anywhere, if you like that style of a frame. They also have the .457 Slayer if wanting to really reach out there, and also the new .30 cal EVOL in a more traditional style. It's definitely worth checking out the site if wanting high-end. I have mine tuned to 280 FPE currently. The wait could be long though unless you post up wanting a used one, like I did.

The other is the FX Impact in .30 cal with a 700mm barrel. Mine is currently set at 98 FPE. Both are repeaters with mags. The FX holds 28 projectiles while the Slayer holds six in its mag. Both are amazingly accurate, which makes them really enjoyable.

I wouldn't recommend a semi-auto as your first PCP, but the fun factor is there, and you could learn from the experience.

Looked into the AAA stuff. Very nice indeed. A bit out of my budget unfortunately. So are most of the Impacts. I only have around $1600 in the budget.

Why no semi auto as a first gun? Hell, I really want a Full Auto Evanix if I'm being honest! Definitely looking for the fun factor as well. 

I own a GTL 480 in 0.357 cal ... So - I feel I'm best suited to answer your question.

P.S: FWIW - Mine only has the Semi-Auto mode ... But you should be able to get it converted to Full-Auto (I believe Nate on AirgunChannel aka KaylaIndy might be able to point you to someone that might be able to help with that!) ... I didn't bother with the conversion - just to avoid even borderline risking any rules/ordinances with Uncle Sam.

The Good:

- It's a VERY accurate gun. I'm getting about 1.5" - 2" Groups (at 55 yards) with most good quality Pellets (Predatory PolyMags/JSB/etc)

Just remember - If you're used to small bore (0.25 cal) Airguns - a 1.5" - 2" group might not sound very accurate ... But the bigger the pellet - the bigger the hole it tears on paper.

Also the more time you spend with the AG - the better you’re going to get with it ... so far - I’ve only shot maybe 50 shots (if that) ... So - with more range time - I’m sure you can shrink groups down even further!

- It's an EXTREMELY powerful gun.

I'm talking 100 - 120 FPE all day long. And that’s out of Factory. If you’re a tinkerer/tuner - I think you can easily push twice that or more !!

- You just can’t beat the semi-auto action.

Once you go Semi-Auto ... There’s NO going back! 😂

- It's backyard friendly.

The noise you're going to hear - for the most part - is the Electronically actuator working and NOT of the guns Muzzle Blast.

The Cons:

- It's trigger is NOT what you'd call match grade. 

If you plan on using it for bench-rest championships - you may not like the outcome.

- It's relatively on the heavier side.

So - if you plan on carrying this around in the woods all day - you may want to reconsider your decision.

- It needs the battery re-charged every 150 shots.

So - you'll need to plan for that "downtime" in your shooting plans ... Or you could just get an extra battery or two.

- Magazines are hard to come by.

So - make sure you buy up as many as you need the first chance you see them.

- You can't really seat LONG pellets/slugs.

For example - you'll need to remove the Red Tips of em Polymags.

- They work better with Pellets v/s Slugs.

So - if you're a Slug slave - this may not be the gun for you.