Favorite airgun of 2023?

I guess I don't understand. Are you planning on refinishing the stock? There are some nice oil based finishes that can accentuate wood grain as opposed to lacquers or poly finishes
It came from the factory unfinished, it's just bone dry walnut with open grain. I need to put something on it, but haven't decided what.

It came from the factory unfinished, it's just bone dry walnut with open grain. I need to put something on it, but haven't decided what.
I like oil! A stupid easy finish is taking boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits and mix 2 parts oil and one part mineral spirits and mix them in a clean glass jar. Apply liberally, let it soak into the pores for a few minutes. Then wipe dry. Do that a couple more times over the span of a couple days. I like Tru-Oil, too from Birchwood-Casy. It has a polyurethane in it, so its a little tougher. I thin that down, too so it penetrates into the wood.

Reactions: bustachip
Of 2023 .... SKOUT EPOCH by a landslide !!!
Nothing like it prior in the AG universe & in one year has been the talk of the town :unsure:
I totally agree! The Epoch has become my favorite gun to shoot, currently as a .22. It is very comfortable from the bench, and I find it hard to go back to a standard trigger after this gun. I’m coming up on 10k shots through it, both as a .30 and .22.
IMG_2894.png

There are a few interesting airguns that I'd put on this years list of favorites.
For "innovation" I'd put the Epoch from Skout and the M24 from Altaros.
They both bring a few interesting "new" things to the table. I have sold 1 Epoch but haven't taken a closer look at how it works but if I understand it correctly both the M24 and Epoch have a similar system of low pressure air holding the valve closed but high pressure air pushing on the valve rod from all sides.

This type of system will allow for future guns to be fired at higher pressures, I'm talking at 300 bar (4500psi) or higher.
If this is good or not I'm not really sure for smaller calibers but I think it would improve heavier slugs or perhaps for airbows but not sure how well aluminum arrows can handle that pressure.

The M24 is also the first airgun (afaik) to have the shroud also be the airtank, this means high pressure on the barrel so it should be really solid.
So does this mean you can get the same stability from a high pressure barrel shroud as you can from a 5-10kg (10-20 pound) barrel?
For 2024 I'd like to see someone try it, a highly pressurized barrel shroud that's not the airtank. Just pressurized to keep the barrel stable.

I'm really looking forwards to 2024 as my company will finally be getting off the ground, I have several orders placed and have all the equipment to start making videos. By the time winter is over here I should have received everything and can start making videos. Until then I can create the graphics and create a proper workflow to follow.

The airguns I'm looking forwards to getting my hands on the most next year is the M24 with new stock from Altaros and then the Red Panda and SLS from Karma airguns.
Other than these I don't know of any new airguns launching in 2024.
The M24 isn't new, it's the exact same rifle but with a different stock but the problems I've had with shipping companies postponed the delivery of the rifle to the point I might as well wait for the new version. I live on a small island called the Aland Islands what is part of Finland but not part of EMU (European Monetary Union) and the tax rules for this place are different. There are a few places similar to this place in the EU, I think Island of Man is another place with similar rules. Basically the tax rules are different and most stores and transportation companies do not know how to process orders here.
Getting something shipped from Czechia to here has been a nightmare, I just had an order with every nv scope from Pard returned to the distributor.

Czechia has some of the best prices in Europe but it's annoying none of their postal services can handle delivery to me, so now I have to rely on package forwarding from mainland Finland to me. Annoying and costs me an extra €50 + postage per package but seems to be the only way to do it unless I want to take the €100 ferry ride over to the mainland to pick up the package like I've done before.

TLDR:
Favorites for 2023 is the Epoch from Skout and M24 from Altaros.

Most anticipated for 2024 for me is the M24 with new stock as I will finally be able to get my hands on it and the Red Panda and SLS from Karma Airguns.

What is your shot count per fill and at what power level?
I’ll try and get that. I haven’t had a lot of time lately, especially with such short days. The day I tried my labradar wouldn’t pick up the 177 pellets, so I need to play around in the settings. It’s shooting 13 gr JSB’s the best right now. If I remember correctly the are only going 700 something fps. It’s currently in its factory settings.

My favorite gun for 2023 I don’t even own- yet. It is by far the wildcat mk3 BT, only because the mk2 wildcats have always been my favorite. If money wasn’t a hurdle, I’d own every version of the wildcat ever made; wood stock versions, compact, snipers, VP versions, Warcat editions, etc.
so hopefully FX doesn’t oust the wildcat BT before I get my mittens on one of them, as I one day plan on getting one thru utah air so I could get a custom hydrodip stock on it done.
That’s the plan, anyway, unless that certain someone decides his sidewinder is all he needs and decides to sell me his wildcat BT, haha! You know who you are, buddy!

If this topic would’ve been asked as most amazing gun for 2023, I would have to say it’s my Skout I recently acquired last October. I already know it’s going to BD an amazing shooter, and am excited to shoot it. Just awaiting the final piece to come in from my machinist-
IMG_2673.jpeg
IMG_2672.jpeg
IMG_5897.jpeg
IMG_5898.jpeg

Last edited: