Favorite Air Gun Competition?

People love the Field Target and the speed and 100 yard. If I was to put on an event, I would do those three and also get the field target event in the grand prix circuit through Extreme Field Target. The benefits to collaborating on that one single event is that you would get a lot of individuals from the other events, as well as FT shooters in general.

Field target, any flavor.

I see field target as a way to improve overall shooting, ie. my kill ratio on pesting went WAY up after I learned about trajectory and having my guns set up/being familiar with where the pellet should impact at various distances. It also requires the shooter to support the gun with their body, not just having it sitting there on a bench.

I'm not against benchrest, and fully appreciate the skill required to perform at the highest level. I even enjoy it, just not nearly as much as field target. And I think I feel that way b/c I see benchrest as such a narrow-use skill.

My favorite competition is a fair competition that is equal for all competitors. This is the most important characteristic of any event that is going to be referred to as a, "competition". (Feel free to read into that.)
The thrill of competing against my peers, in all areas, and the opportunity to try something new is what drew me to the first EBR I attended. Over the years, I have noticed things that continue to impress me about that event such as its structure, organization, enjoyability, the camaraderie during the event, and so much more.
-Speed shooting caught my attention right away! It's a thrill for the crowd to watch and is still a thrill to compete in, 8-9 years later. As a bonus for the organizers, it's a fast competition so, many competitors can shoot during the course of a few hours. I also like how EBR's silo targets are free standing. This might make for a longer and more tedious cycling of rounds but, it adds an extra element, as we saw in Pro class this year when Nic Gregoris spun his target...TWICE! It may have worked in my favor but, it definitely highlighted the tremendous skill Nic has when performing under pressure as well as his great character as a competitor. If I had to pick a possible downside to speed, it might be that everyone knows who won right then and there. This is definitely a Pro/Con topic that could be discussed further but, perhaps not in this thread.
-100y can be an emotional roller coaster for 30 minutes. I think it's debatable whether shooting at 100y 3 times is more or less challenging than competing at 75 2X and then only having a single opportunity to compete at 100y.
-Extreme FT is a discipline I have personally wanted to improve my skills at for a number of years. I like how it mimics a day of hunting by presenting targets at different ranges and by imposing a time limit to shoot those targets.
I'd have to say that those are my top 3.
Happy Shooting!

25 , 50 and 100 yard bench
Temecula Benchrest 003.JPG
rest.

EBR has been my favorite event for the last four years. I love the entire atmosphere of it. The challenge of shooting well in the wind has always been a favorite of mine. I had the privilege last year to qualify for the finals at 100yds. Didn't do as well as I had hoped but had the experience to learn from.
Field target is also of great enjoyment to me. Now we have EFT and it is a blast. Must like competition. For me it is doing better each time as my goal.
My husband and I travel to many events together. We have many wonderful friends we have met along the way. So many genuinely wonderful people in all these disciplines. Needless to say, I am hooked!!
20221008_093529.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Podna
I like position shooting, so, pretty much any kind of unsupported or sling support only match.

Since I'm the only one in my area who runs any air rifle matches, they've all been some form of offhand. The least amount of equipment requirements make it easy for casual shooters to drop in and have fun.

I've got four PRS-style matches for .22 and air rifle on the calendar for next year.

I would really like to try field target. We're working on it, so hopefully we'll be doing some test matches at our range next year.