Favorite .22 Magnum rifle?

GAMMA

Jan 30, 2020
CT
So I’ve been interested in a 22 magnum pcp, like the new RTI Prophet with long range barrel, or maybe the Brocock Sniper XR high power.

both seem to generate over 50FPE and have great accuracy doing it.

whats your favorite between these two, or just overall out of everything out right now?

Whats a magnum pcp?

“Magnum” air rifle is one that shoots pellets at 800 – 1,000 feet per second.

That's a new one to me 🤷‍♂️

If you're asking about advice on an accurate 50FPE+ capable 22 caliber (~.217'ish) PCP, I would do some homework first on the platforms that are known for having accurate barrels. "Magnum" force is useless if the gun is inaccurate, and depending on the type of ammo you're looking to shoot - one may be a better fit than the other.

Whats a magnum pcp?

Although (FPS) is a by-product of an air guns power it really isn’t a measure of energy. "

So a magnum .22 pcp is almost all of them by that logic? Not many pcp can't do 800fps, and yes im familiar with the term magnum on a springer.

Whats a magnum pcp?

Although (FPS) is a by-product of an air guns power it really isn’t a measure of energy. "

So a magnum .22 pcp is almost all of them by that logic? Not many pcp can't do 800fps, and yes im familiar with the term magnum on a springer.

For purpose of this thread, how about we agree to call “Magnum” as shorthand for a .22 that has more than 50FPE and a barrel that is optimized for accuracy with that power?

At 50 fpe aren't you talking slugs? Hard to imagine a pellet in .22 that will remain accurate at the speeds required to generate 50 fpe.

Funny how power has gone up over the years. Used to be FAC airguns, in 22 did 24-28 fpe...which was over twice the 12 fpe of non-FAC, and propelled the "heavies" which might be 15-18 gr. about as fast as you could do accurately. Now we have 25 gr. Monsters and slugs and 28-34 fpe is more the norm. 

Many brands available That can set up right obtain the FPS. AirForce Condor is just one. AF guns are known for power house guns. USA made and many parts available to up the game. Out of the box the new Condor will surprise you in any caliber. Simply guns to work, but not a gun for everyone. You'd have to handle one to really see what they are all about.

But as with this hobby we always want more power. With big power there are many trade offs. Do the search thing and explore what is out there. Much info out there.💀

Magnum to me relates to spring guns where Diana branded several lines a Magnum in the days that those guns were of hi power. But other brands later reached out to the claims of super high FPS that exceeded the Diana Magnums.💀 High POWER does not always result in accuracy.

I would go for the Prophet if max power and accuracy in .22 is what you are going for.

I am sure the Brocock is a good gun, but it appears that all they are doing is using the same platform with a longer barrel where the Prophet is designed around shooting the heavy 25.39's fast and accurate. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIMaQjG8l8w 1050 fps with a 25.39 pellet is 62 fpe. That is pretty dang impressive. Especially if it is as accurate as they say it is.

Reactions: GAMMA
I would go for the Prophet if max power and accuracy in .22 is what you are going for.

I am sure the Brocock is a good gun, but it appears that all they are doing is using the same platform with a longer barrel where the Prophet is designed around shooting the heavy 25.39's fast and accurate. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIMaQjG8l8w 
1050 fps with a 25.39 pellet is 62 fpe. That is pretty dang impressive. Especially if it is as accurate as they say it is.

This is exactly what I was talking about. High power and a barrel that is optimized for higher velocity.

Do any other rifles out there have the 1 in 32 twist rate? What about the latest barrels from FX or Brocock?