• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FAS 6004

1592658144_19163790715eee08e08aa225.62582100.jpeg

I think few would argue that the 6004 is the best looking air pistol of all time...but I have had many moaning about poor cutting of cards and even some pellets not getting fully down the barrel when fired.

The gun feels nice in the hand and its side lever opening is far better than the hammer opening on the HW models. It snicks open in a seamless process when going for the over lever, without having to alter your grip on the handle.. The trigger can be set as good as any after some messing about but is not bad straight out of the box. Its at least twice the trigger of the Gamo Compact. I would say better than a Rekord unit on HW rifle if not quite as good as a Steyr match pistol...so its right up there once set up..However, its the power of the gun that lets it down. Chronying the gun I was working on, revealed 326 fps with Finale Match pellets. This is a slow gun stock ...even for an SSP :(

On first inspection i checked the breech seal. The Original FAS 604 used a White, Nylon seal which protruded a good distance out of the barrel groove but the new O ring seal sits more flush in its housing. Its a nice idea of Chiappa moving to an off the shelf O ring which is cheap and easy to replace but they retained the original groove dimensions that FAS used for the thicker Nylon seal. Big error IMO...its too deep for the O ring. It is proud of the groove and could fool you into believing this must seal but on closing the gun it does not as O ring grooves only seal on their top dead centre, unlike the broad face of the 604 seal. Its the angled face of the breech bulkhead which is causing the problem. When the seal comes down onto the bulkhead face, the top of the O ring is not quite sealing and the base of the steel barrel nicks the bulkhead face...putting a tiny groove into the face over time...I detected some blow by of gas at the top of the barrel where the O ring was barely contacting and estimated a good 30 to 40 fps vel loss.

To remedy this problem I machined a slim packing washer of stainless steel to fit in the base of the barrel groove. The washer thickness is 0.4mm. The O ring pushed on top of this gave a perfect seal with no gas loss detected and ensured that the barrel was clear from nicking the Bulkhead face. Chrony now showed 370 fps typical of this type of gun and cards looking much better, with clean holes. 

This work can easily be carried out by using some Floss under the O ring seal, if you do not have access to a Lathe and you can stop here as i was now able to produce thumb nail size groups at 10 mtrs with zero mis fires.

I finally achieved 400 fps after more extensive work but the above work should help you with any breech sealing issues.

I put an "X"-ring in both my FAS 6004 and my Sig Sauer, ASP. I also used an "X"-ring in my Beeman P1. The reason that I did this, when I got my P1, I could see that the o-ring did not sit well in the groove. I measures the grooves in my three guns and bought the x-rings. All fit very solid/stable in the groove.

They sit firmly in the groove, with enough pressure on the barrel to not blow/tear out toilet paper that I wrapped around the barrel to test it. I did have to adjust the barrel on my FAS to add a little more pressure. While the barrel is pretty solid in the "slide", it moved enough (coupla thousands) for the additional pressure

By the dimensions of an o-ring and the x-ring, the x-ring should have the same pressure on the mating (distance between parts) parts as an o-ring, but it has two...points of contact, vs. the o-rings one. The x-ring is also a lot more stable in the groove. So fa, so good. I've put a fair amount of rounds through my ASP, no signs of trouble. Holding up well in all three guns.

Mike

Nice one buddy, i might looking at fitting an X ring myself when this one tires.

In regard of your barrel positioning, i came up with a good idea. The early 6004s had a cheap alloy washer which slid onto the barrel and fixed the gap between the frame ...presumably to lock the barrel in the right position. Problem...It had no give to it at all which forced the barrel lower edge into the Bulkhead face. I replaced this with an O ring. It offers the same positioning gap but affords a little give for finer assembly....It also offers a resonance restrictor on the barrel..

What Vel are you getting.

Don't know. I don't have a chronograph.

I also cleaned/smoothed the breech face on my FAS. It had a distinct burr around the transfer hole. I don't think it was cutting the o-ring, but why take the chance. It would wear a groove eventually.

Mike

Should be giving you approx 370 FPS with R10 or Finale...now you are sealing correctly..

There is a bit more to be had by fitting a Quad ring in place of the piston O ring. The stock O ring compression is 1mm further back (Sealing on its top dead centre) when compared to a Quad seal, sealing on its a front face...Its a simple upward shift in compression for the none skilled, instead of the trouble of a piston re-machine, or piston pack of 0.3mm..0.5mm ..should get you an additional 30- 35 fps if you needed it...I got another 5 fps flushing the valve out...must have been crap in it from assembly.

Had a lot of moans coming from shooters, grateful for this work but not happy that it needs doing on a brand new gun but i tell them once sorted, there is no match at this price point in reg trigger, grip, sitting low in hand, sights and general ergonomics....not even at twice the price..