• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Fans in an air cooled pcp compressor

Ok hey all. I repaired an Hatsan Spark. So just like everything else, we buy, so it seems, yup made in China. I put this one together for a spare in the meantime, while waiting for fans mostly. I purchased a Benjamin Traveler, works good today. I had the top off it and a much better unit the way it’s put together compared to the Spark. I could get into a whole discussion here but has anyone done anything different to this type of air cooled compressor? Let’s face it heat kills these things more quickly than general use. Lol I went to the extra trouble and mounted a .2 amp on top and a .2 amp on the side. One on top exhaust out, one on the side blowing in on the power head. I’m waiting for the bottom fan and No One has a fan that small from 1.5-2 amps, so we go back to China again. Personally I think their made to fail just after the warranty so you have to buy another 1. Also am I the only 1 who has noticed that Carbon fiber tanks have come down in price a bit or is it b/c of more competitive market? Thanks

Chinese made items are designed and made to be disposable. Whether 1 month 6 months 1 year or 2 years or 3 years of repeated use. You are forced to keep buying new Chinese items to replace them if you aren't mechanically inclined. Ingenious marketing strategy I must say because if they were built to last like Toyotas they won't sell as many as often and maximum profit wouldn't be achieved. All they need to do is last the ONE YEAR under warranty that's all but unfortunately many don't that's cutting into their profit swapping new ones out within Warranty period. Just beef them up just a teeny tiny bit so they last just over one year then broken just past warranty then they succeed in achieving maximum profit.

Scopes on the other hand built with poor QC standards with Lifetime Warranty NEED their 5x-10x markups as a warranty cushion especially the brands you often hear about always swapping out brand new ones no problems their warranty especially if they cost more than $200.

Odoyle - I am not so quick to bad mouth Chinese products. After all they are following the same progression as other countries that have gotten into manufacturing. I remember when I was a kid that anything made in Japan was termed "Japanese Junk" Now some of the best products come from Japan. Then there was Taiwan. Now Taiwan is a step up from Chinese. I have seen a radical improvement in Chinese quality over the years. Harbor Freight is our local supply for Chinese products. At one time I only bought hand tools that I would probably use only once or twice during my life time from them. An example is ¾ " drive sockets. Now most hand tools from Harbor Freight come with lifetime warranties and I would put them up against Snap On any day (for a lot less money).

I see home hobby shops with tools now that once businesses couldn't afford such as car enthusiasts with overhead lifts in their back yard garage. I look at all of the appliances and tools I have in my house that my parents could never afford because they were made in America. I cringe when I hear politicians wanting to bring manufacturing back to America. I know for a fact I wouldn't be able to afford to buy anything anymore. My motto was always let everyone do what they do best.

In addition, I am at a point where I have gotten so fed up with American quality produced by greedy, lazy, union workers who could care less about quality and look to do the least amount of work that they can get away with. Hell we even have to bring over quality standards and methods from Japan into out manufacturing facilities. Contrary to a lot of people when I see a "Made in America" sticker on a product I just walk away from it anymore.

I know a lot of people may not want to hear that but those are the "cold , hard, facts".

Odoyle - I am not so quick to bad mouth Chinese products. After all they are following the same progression as other countries that have gotten into manufacturing. I remember when I was a kid that anything made in Japan was termed "Japanese Junk" Now some of the best products come from Japan. Then there was Taiwan. Now Taiwan is a step up from Chinese. I have seen a radical improvement in Chinese quality over the years. Harbor Freight is our local supply for Chinese products. At one time I only bought hand tools that I would probably use only once or twice during my life time from them. An example is ¾ " drive sockets. Now most hand tools from Harbor Freight come with lifetime warranties and I would put them up against Snap On any day (for a lot less money).

I see home hobby shops with tools now that once businesses couldn't afford such as car enthusiasts with overhead lifts in their back yard garage. I look at all of the appliances and tools I have in my house that my parents could never afford because they were made in America. I cringe when I hear politicians wanting to bring manufacturing back to America. I know for a fact I wouldn't be able to afford to buy anything anymore. My motto was always let everyone do what they do best.

In addition, I am at a point where I have gotten so fed up with American quality produced by greedy, lazy, union workers who could care less about quality and look to do the least amount of work that they can get away with. Hell we even have to bring over quality standards and methods from Japan into out manufacturing facilities. Contrary to a lot of people when I see a "Made in America" sticker on a product I just walk away from it anymore.

I know a lot of people may not want to hear that but those are the "cold , hard, facts".

Just pay as little money as you possibly can for made in China goods. That's what I do!

Odoyle - "Just pay as little money as you possibly can for made in China goods. That's what I do!". 

That was what we used to be able to do until Trump imposed the tariffs on all goods coming from China. So far that has done little but put more money in the government/politicians pockets. While I admit I have gotten some junk from China I have also gotten some really good things. I think a lot of it has to do with the quality control. Some American companies that moved their manufacturing to China and maintain a strong presence in the factories produce some really good products.

I just find it hard to bash China when the low cost of goods from China has enabled myself and a lot of people I know have things in life that they otherwise wouldn't have been able to afford. For most consumers and hobbyists, industrial quality is less important than cost. I look at the number of people who will buy Chinese knockoffs of Atlas bipods and are willing to spent their own time tinkering and refining them rather than pay the price of an original. If someone is expecting to get the same quality and longevity for a fraction of the cost, who is the fool?

Those arent cold cold hard facts about bagging on the union folks like that. Obviously you’ve never been in any type of union and were raised getting fed stupid lies. I’ve been in the union since 1984. Retired in 2017. I still pay my dues, and am not tied into the unions health care program as I’m under my wife’s plan. Does that sound like I’m greedy, just handing over dues to a union? They’ve taken care of me by providing a decent wage to live on and support my family. They promised me back in 1984 if I worked hard and worked steady for 25 years straight, and once I hit 55 in age, I could pull out and enjoy the fruits of my labor. I can say with my chest sticking out, that I’ve never ever collected unemployment in my entire career. So, before you throw out your cold hard facts, maybe do a bit of research on unions and what they’re all about before spewing out stupid facts you’ve been given all your life.

Since were on the subject of health care, I’m going to assume you have it. You either pay out of pocket for your own or its company provided, which I guarantee comes off the top of your wages. Are you happy with your health care? If not, it’s because you have low tier health care cause your company doesn’t want to pay for it, or you don’t want to pay for it. Health care is the biggest money feeding monster that will never be satisfied. In all the union meetings I’ve been at, every spare nickel that’s left after allocations of raises have been dispersed always goes to health care. Am I happy with my health care? You bet. Ive got the best money could pay for. Do I wish more of that went onto my check, sure, who wouldn’t. But when my kid can wear braces and it only cost me a $10 co pay for my wife to give birth to my child, it’s at that moment I say the union has been good to me.

You get what you pay for. I guarantee if our bridges, high rise buildings, hospitals and office spaces were being solely built by unskilled, untrained non union folks I guarantee there would be way worse problems. A lot of people don’t even think about the 10,000 lb hvac unit hanging above the t-bar ceiling just a few feet over their cubicle, or over their children’s head in school. If they did realize that was above their head, they’d be happy to know it was installed not by some yahoo guy that flipped burgers the week before, but by a certified hvac mechanic who went thru years of apprenticeship training and learned about engineering, design, earthquake restraint codes, and proper fastener usage. I’ll end this paragraph by saying a fact- not all non union are unskilled. The ones that are were either union at one time, or learned the skill set thru military training, or actually paid out of pocket to go thru a tech program. The unions actually try and recruit those folks. It’s the guy that used to be a hamburger flipper that the next day is now working for his contractor uncle, wiring up the electrical to a panel. That’s who I’m talking about.

I don’t know or care what you do for a living, but would you not want to be paid top dollar for your skill set? 

Im going to end my soap box reply to the stupid comment you made towards greedy, lazy union workers by saying this- if you had it your way, what do you think a highly skilled, highly trained union worker should be paid? And if your in the range of $15/hour to $30/hour, I want you to ask yourself if you yourself can live on that, and still provide for your family and put your kids thru top tier schools. Yeah, I didn’t think so. 

There are lazy people, greedy people, in all walks of life, and in all ages. Union or not. What do you call the guy on the street that’s got all functioning body parts, in his early 40’s with a sign that says “why lie, I need a beer” begging for $$? Now think about the person getting up each day, 5 days a week at 8-10 hours a day. You’re saying they’re the same?

Bigragu - Your comments are obviously from someone who certainly benefited (or thought they were benefiting) from being in a union. Every time unions force a company to pay higher wages (for no increased productivity) the consumer ends up paying the price in the increased cost of goods. Eventually the consumer cannot afford to purchase the goods so companies are forced to go out of business or go overseas where labor costs are lower. Next thing you know Americans are out of work. Hell, look at how many shooters cannot, or will not, pay the higher price for a genuine Atlas bipod. The unions only support short sighted thinking and gains (by force) and not the long term effects. And by the way...as other unions follow suit across the nation, and the cost of living goes up across the board, that pay increase the union got you now becomes negated (not to mention all the union dues you paid). It's a vicious circle.

I always felt I had a free will and if I didn't like what I was being paid or the benefits the company offered I could always go elsewhere. I would never coerce or try to force anyone to do something against their will. I was actually let go from my job with the company I worked at for 33 years due to their having to reduce their payroll (fixed expenses) so they could borrow money from banks to grow the business and offer more people jobs down the road. I didn't get mad as they gave me 33 years of employment. What did I do... I started my own business and now do work for the company that let me go - and I now make more money at it. It was a "win/win" because what they pay outside companies isn't considered a fixed expense. They are happy to have me still doing work for them as I with them. I could have gotten mad and went on welfare or joined a union to force them to keep me employed but I didn't. I found a solution that benefits us both.

If this thread got off topic it was because of odoyle's comments (which I felt unfair) about Chinese goods. I could have sent you (and him) this as a PM but people deserve to hear the other side of the story. As long as people are willing to (possibly) sacrifice quality over price there will be a good reason to buy outside goods. Just don't get upset and blame the manufacturer (or country of origin) if you are unfortunate and what you buy doesn't last as long as something you would have paid 5X or 10X as much for. Yes, some companies offset the poorer quality by increasing price and providing better warranties but hey, Sears (Craftsman) tools did that for years. I cannot count how many screw drivers and ratchets I got replaced for free with their lifetime warranty. Oh, and for the longest time those tools were made in America.

Getting back to the original question, I have no experience with the air cooled compressors, but even with my Yong Heng which is water cooled, I put fans on the top cylinder to draw as much heat off the fins as possible. Any heat you can pull off the cylinder head helps extend the life of the product.

On cooling and things breaking down, you need to take into consideration where it was designed as well. Long ago, (like the 1970's) the Soviet Union sent a bunch of construction equipment to the Middle East / Egypt for major construction projects. Project failed or was at least late because the equipment kept breaking down. The radiators were too small, as the equipment was designed for Siberia / colder Russian climate rather than the 120 degree Egyptian climate. 

I don't know where these compressors are designed, but running in 100Degree plus heat might not have been in the design specs. Same goes the other direction. It's below freezing today, so firing up my Yong Heng that lives in a shed outside probably would not be a good idea. If in extreme heat, might want to keep the run time to half what the manual says to compensate for extreme conditions. 

I do think the fans are good ideas. Anything to keep the heat off the head will help. 

I say buy a compressor from any place that offers a 4 year protection plan and use a credit card that effectively doubles the warranty for whatever you buy.

Once insurance companies see the trend of failures they may just quit offering it. Buy it right now while you can.

That is another example of short sighted thinking and always ends up with everyone loosing. But hey, if you gain before that happens who cares, right? Just like when people default on their payments or defraud the credit card company. Everyone else pays the price in higher interest rates. That fits well into my definition of greed "wanting the undeserved - at the expense of others".

That reminds me of the continual increase of medical insurance costs at the company I worked for. People abused the insurance by running to the doctor for every little thing or didn't take care of their health and that ultimately ended up being at everyone else's expense. Those same people who abused the insurance now bitch that they cannot afford the premiums.

Saltlake58 - "I do think the fans are good ideas. Anything to keep the heat off the head will help."

I totally agree with you. Most of the compressors we purchase for $3K and under are not 'commercial' or 'industrial' units and common sense and caution must be used to preserve reliability. Unfortunately, most people don't understand mechanics and cannot recognize a damaging situation as it is occurring. Heat is the greatest enemy of mechanical assemblies.

I fill my tanks to just over 310 bar (4500PSI when cool). Even though my compressor is rated at 500 bar and is advertised for 10 hours of continuous operation, if both of those parameters are combined I have seen the potential for damaging the compressor. I monitored my compressor as I was filling my 6.8L tank and everything was fine until I got to just over 300 bar. I could then feel super hot air pouring out of the machine like crazy. At that point the heat being generated seemed to increase exponentially. I believe I could have either filled an even larger tank to 300 bar or a smaller tank the size of the one on my gun to well over 300 bar (maybe even the rated 500 bar of the compressor - given components rated to that pressure) without a problem. But combine the two and that was where the problems came in.

I have since resolved to fill my tank to just under 300 bar, let the compressor and tank cool down, and then fill the remainder to 310 bar.

Another clue for me was that I was generating too much heat was that the tank valve was so hot that I had an extremely difficult time closing the valve. I needed to apply so much force that the rubber knob ripped off the valve stem and I needed a wrench to close the valve in order to disconnect it from the compressor. Once the tank cooled the valve operated normally.

The moral of that story is that we cannot blindly follow instructions or specifications without using our common sense. Secondly, that heat kills! The more we can do to eliminate heat the better off we will be. Maybe a $5K compressor and a tank submerged in water wouldn't have those problems but my $2K compressor and my setup cannot and I need to exercise caution.

Saltlake58 - "I do think the fans are good ideas. Anything to keep the heat off the head will help."

I totally agree with you. Most of the compressors we purchase for $3K and under are not 'commercial' or 'industrial' units and common sense and caution must be used to preserve reliability. Unfortunately, most people don't understand mechanics and cannot recognize a damaging situation as it is occurring. Heat is the greatest enemy of mechanical assemblies.

I fill my tanks to just over 310 bar (4500PSI when cool). Even though my compressor is rated at 500 bar and is advertised for 10 hours of continuous operation, if both of those parameters are combined I have seen the potential for damaging the compressor. I monitored my compressor as I was filling my 6.8L tank and everything was fine until I got to just over 300 bar. I could then feel super hot air pouring out of the machine like crazy. At that point the heat being generated seemed to increase exponentially. I believe I could have either filled an even larger tank to 300 bar or a smaller tank the size of the one on my gun to well over 300 bar (maybe even the rated 500 bar of the compressor - given components rated to that pressure) without a problem. But combine the two and that was where the problems came in.

I have since resolved to fill my tank to just under 300 bar, let the compressor and tank cool down, and then fill the remainder to 310 bar.

Another clue for me was that I was generating too much heat was that the tank valve was so hot that I had an extremely difficult time closing the valve. I needed to apply so much force that the rubber knob ripped off the valve stem and I needed a wrench to close the valve in order to disconnect it from the compressor. Once the tank cooled the valve operated normally.

The moral of that story is that we cannot blindly follow instructions or specifications without using our common sense. Secondly, that heat kills! The more we can do to eliminate heat the better off we will be. Maybe a $5K compressor and a tank submerged in water wouldn't have those problems but my $2K compressor and my setup cannot and I need to exercise caution.

Please share the brand and model of compressor you use. I'm not familiar with any sub $2K compressors rated to 500 bar or rated for 10 hours continuous operation. If your tank valve is too hot to the touch it sounds like you are filling through a restrictor which is greatly increasing friction, back pressure, and heat to the compressor and tank fill valve. A fill valve shouldn't be getting to warm to touch, especially when filling from 3K to 4.5K. Continuous duty compressors typically fill banks of tanks and couldn't function properly for long if the valves were getting hot.