I've seen a number of posts where someone will state that brand X is junk and when someone responds in defense of brand X, they are immediately labeled a "Fan Boy", as if they are defending a particular manufacturer for no logical reason. Most everyone favors one brand over another, but preferences are most always based on personal experience. You can call me an FX "Fan Boy", but it's only because I've had the best experience with FX guns and customer support, that I prefer FX over other brands that I own.
Just to end my little rant, being a "Fan Boy" of one kind or another isn't arbitrary.

1669825115765.jpeg

1669825229680.jpeg

The problem I have with this fanboy thing is that I like many guns/brands so does that make me a fanboyS? Or one man fanboy band/bandwagon? 🤔

Last edited:
I think thats quite normal.
I personally loathe people driving overly loud vehicles even if i like very much the sound of a nice engine.
And lets just say even if i hit it big in the lottery i would never be able to buy a BMW or a Audi in fear of being bracketed with people driving those.

Its just the internet and it being so convenient to not be as polite as you would need to be if you was face to face with people.

I do prefer honesty but then again i also know there are times where being honest dont really do anything, and might even result in hurting someones feelings.
The faceless internet make that a bit harder for me.

But if anyone feel hurt by me, they are always welcome to PM me CUZ i am able to apologize as one of my "flaws" are i am acutely aware of my own shortcomings and stupidity.

I do think there are plenty of people that force themselves to like certain things in this sport due to not wanting or not being able to have buyers remorse on such expensive purchases, these toys/tools ARE NOT cheap and im sure some scrounge pennies to enjoy said hobby, imagine being in that situation only to hate what youve bought and not be able to get anything else.

Fanboys exist in all hobbies though, chevy vs ford, the patriots vs raiders, redsox vs yankees, merrell vs salomon so on and so fourth

I ordered an FX and have wanted one for a long time. I ride motorcycles , work on and used to drive cars fast, . I've been into airgun, motorcycles, cars and pb's for many years. There are indeed fanboys. The pb's guy that shoot things that rhyme with sock like to wear the hats, the gear and the stickers on everything and claim it's the best brand. The motorcycle guys that are a little hardcore like Harley (nothing wrong with harley's) There are chevy, ford, mopar fanboys and yes.. FX fanboys.. I like stuff that works and I can work on. I'm a fanboy of anything that works and have no problem with fanboys. Looks like @CTairgunner1288 was typing about the same thing I was.

Well, a "fanboy" is someone that defends a brand at all costs and even defend the negative. All nice things have fanboys of certain brands, typically it is the most popular with the most advertising. Machanics=snapon/matco, Bows= mathews/hoyt airguns=fx/daystate. Typically these certain folks also look down on those that do not spend that money or cannot afford it. A fan of a certain item does not always equal fanboy.

I will probably never be a fanboy. I did get accused of being a Toyota and Honda fanboy because those are the cars and trucks I primarily owned over the last 25 years. But I don’t come running to defend them when someone bashes them. I don’t care. And that’s where guys get stamped a fanboy. When a grown man is so passionate about a material item that he defends it like it’s his wife. And to complete strangers or worse yet, online. Silly.

Fact is, virtually every airgun brand has, or has had, models that range from disappointing to embarrassing. Some have multiple, despite also having other models that are excellent to fantastic.

The best example I can think of in my 60+ years of airgunning experience is Crosman. Having captured multiple State and National Champion titles with half-century old Crosman's that sold for less the $20 brand new, I've LONG been Crosman's most vocal advocate:D(y)...

And critic!🤬😱

Being the premier American airgun brand, Crosman's devolution to plastic garbage was both laughable😂 and depressing.😭 I lost no opportunity to demean them for that devolution.👎

However their subsequent self-resurrection back to their rightful place was nothing less than remarkable.🤯 So I lose no opportunity to praise them (now) for producing the best examples of the adage "simplicity is the hallmark of good design" in the PCP universe with their 1701P, 1720T, and Marauders.

Fan Boy? :unsure:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I'm a PLATFORM fan boy (Bobcat, Royale, Boss). They just happen to be FX even though I don't care for other FX platforms. I like traditional rifle styling, simplicity of design & ALWAYS repeatable accuracy. NOT a fan of having too many o-rings or over-adjustability to get out of whack. My guns are perfect for me & that's why I haven't tried others. I'm SURE a lot of people who trash FX in particular have a bad taste in their mouth because of the PLATFORM they had a bad experience with & generalized that the BRAND sucks.

Reactions: SHOMER
Fact is, virtually every airgun brand has, or has had, models that range from disappointing to embarrassing. Some have multiple, despite also having other models that are excellent to fantastic.

The best example I can think of in my 60+ years of airgunning experience is Crosman. Having captured multiple State and National Champion titles with half-century old Crosman's that sold for less the $20 brand new, I've LONG been Crosman's most vocal advocate:D(y)...

And critic!🤬😱

Being the premier American airgun brand, Crosman's devolution to plastic garbage was both laughable😂 and depressing.😭 I lost no opportunity to demean them for that devolution.👎

However their subsequent self-resurrection back to their rightful place was nothing less than remarkable.🤯 So I lose no opportunity to praise them (now) for producing the best examples of the adage "simplicity is the hallmark of good design" in the PCP universe with their 1701P, 1720T, and Marauders.

Fan Boy? :unsure:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I have always kept my eyes on the marauder for a "long rifle" since I am primarily into czech made bullpups.

I think many times we are too quick to call someone a fanboy if they defend the brand on a stereotypical myth, for example for Ford there is FORD – Fixed Or Repaired Daily!. Obviously untrue but if a Ford owner defends this they are called a fanboy. I am saying this not defending Ford since I have never owned one, but it happens with lots of brands. Years ago as a professional photographer I might have been accused of being a Nikon fanboy because I disliked so much the need to switch to Canon for a few years. At the the time Canon was just doing some things better than Nikon was, but I still preferred using a Nikon. Eventually switched back to Nikon but have now moved on to Sony. I try to use what is best for me but there are times when something is just liked more for some reason or another, faults and all.

Bingo.

It's also a lot easier to be a fanboy if you're on the payroll......not calling out a certain brand, because it's obvious enough that I don't have to.
Good point but those fanboys are completely understandable. It used to be really bad on the two airgun forums I belonged to. I once joked about it. I said I swear these guys sit straight up in their sleep when someone bashes their brand and stumble straight to the computer. It’s been much better lately. When a buffoon bashes a product with broad statements, it’s easy for a fanboy to defend that product. When smart guys nitpick a product, even fanboys have trouble countering them and wind up looking foolish. No airgun, motorcycle, car or truck is perfect. We are more productive if we all look at our airguns objectively and focus on making them better. I do like some of the humor when guys get to arguing though. Some very comical replies.

What's worse? Being a fan boy or running to every thread that mentions a brand (or doesn't) to smear them? They're on an even keel if you ask me.
Absolutely. I’m guilty of this with SPA airguns. I own a bunch of them and stand by my statement that they are the unfinished furniture of the airgun world. I was even called a “hater” by a respected member. I just can’t help myself. I just want fellow enthusiasts to know what they are getting into.

I think many times we are too quick to call someone a fanboy if they defend the brand on a stereotypical myth, for example for Ford there is FORD – Fixed Or Repaired Daily!. Obviously untrue but if a Ford owner defends this they are called a fanboy. I am saying this not defending Ford since I have never owned one, but it happens with lots of brands. Years ago as a professional photographer I might have been accused of being a Nikon fanboy because I disliked so much the need to switch to Canon for a few years. At the the time Canon was just doing some things better than Nikon was, but I still preferred using a Nikon. Eventually switched back to Nikon but have now moved on to Sony. I try to use what is best for me but there are times when something is just liked more for some reason or another, faults and all.
FORD, First on race day!!!

Reactions: landshark