Theoben Family Photo...Me and SN297, Long sought after SLR88 Sporter!!!

I've been a member in good standing of AGN since June of '18...I began my search for one of these three years before that. To all the people I've pestered I won't bother you any more and a big thank you for all who did help me look under rocks and distant lands. My own close circle of friends came through for me...I can't say enough good things about the guys I've met here on AGN...To find one of these '88 and give it up to me...is very humbling. Yes I do have the FT .177 but in two years I've fired exact 2 8.44 pellets just to uncock the gun after mp5ing the bore. I've already scoped and shot the first groups with this sporter...much more to come about that going foward. Owning these '88's is all about the history and hand assembly/workmanship to me....so far it's all I expected it would be...just a joy to shoot...the search is over.
1000002732.jpg

Congratulations!!!
What an unbelievable find. So many folks on the hunt for you. @kingfisher61 finally came through with the goods! Not many folks have 2 SLR88's!!!
Kingfisher61 has become a friend of mine through a couple dealings. He is not only a credit to our community but a first rate human being.

Russell is who I want to be when I grow up. Lewis is the brother I always wanted. Very special human beings.
I am humbled by so many kind words from such excellent people.
Russ....it was fated for you to own that 88. Many circumstances which were out of the norm had to have occurred for it to happen. It's where it belongs IMO.
So.....what's next? 😆

Russell is who I want to be when I grow up. Lewis is the brother I always wanted. Very special human beings.
I am humbled by so many kind words from such excellent people.
Russ....it was fated for you to own that 88. Many circumstances which were out of the norm had to have occurred for it to happen. It's where it belongs IMO.
So.....what's next? 😆
I can't imagine ever topping this aquasistion...it's the one I've been wanting, that's no secret, but more importantly is the relationships with wonderful people that I encountered on my journey. I talked to two different airgun enthusiasts today for a total of 2 1/2 hours! You and I have been known to burn up the "phone lines" too! This is a very nice original example that someone loved during its life...Just wish it could talk and tell all of its stories. Thank you again my friend for this consideration....And thanks AGN...What a great hobby!

He is also a well versed Theologian, and has an outstanding collection of fine air rifles.
Definitely the keeper of knowledge for all things FWB 124-127!
Good to know this

The Belted Kingfisher is one of my favorite birds. It comes flying down the creek and laughs at me and he's gone again. Then he comes ripping across the pond like a bomber. Laughing AhAhAhAhAhAh! Telling me I can't catch fish as well as him.

Nice 88
Is it an HE?

Reactions: Bandito
Good to know this

The Belted Kingfisher is one of my favorite birds. It comes flying down the creek and laughs at me and he's gone again. Then he comes ripping across the pond like a bomber. Laughing AhAhAhAhAhAh! Telling me I can't catch fish as well as him.

W

Nice 88
Is it an HE?
No! Non HE...Very easy to cock Haven't cronyed it yet...what has made the biggest impression on me is how nicely the stock is finished with all the grain filled in...oil finish....feels like satin...Looks all original to me. Got an aftermarket 7 shot magazine with it...very impressed with that too compaired to the originals. Shoots and functions ok but seems a little low on power...to be determined. Pull down safely is unique and takes some getting used to...I believe it was built in '88. Reminds me of an old model 70 Winchester in build quility...What I was after.

Reactions: Bandito
But ‘88’s have their own separate serial numbers don’t they?
Apart from other Theobens that are all in sequence.
My FT .177 is SN 351 the sportet is 297 Lewis's FT
177 is 302....seem like 1 to 500 something just sayin'. Even the experts like Martin Rutherford and David Slade don't know all the answers...A lot of info out there is theory and word of mouth...It's a rare week I don't check online for any new chat discussion on Theoben SLRs and '88s in particular
Isn't a lot out there about them....Most people don't even know what they are let alone any history...a few of us are trying to keep the memory/knowledge alive for the future generations...mostly in vain.