Fall turkey opener success

Fun morning. Being tucked into the ground blind and listening to the cacophony of the dawn creatures was cool. I had some 'yotes chirping in the draws around me and I thought I heard some soft hen clucks as the sun came up. The area is on the side of a mountain above a valley/town and the fog was definitely a factor; right on the edge of the elevation line between clear and pea soup; no demarcation between the two. Visibility was either unlimited or 50 yards. 

I was using my FX .25 Impact with NSA 26.8 gr. slugs. Being in the ground blind makes shooting longer guns like my Texan unwieldy, so I chose to go with Impact. Easy to carry long distance, wicked accurate for precise placement, and I didn't plan on shooting past 50-60 yards. In the blind I had an oversize folding chair, snacks, and a good book ('Helmet for my Pillow' by Robert Lecke), and warm clothes. Very comfortable. I sat for a couple of hours, called lightly, and did some reading. Then a whole flock of birds come ambling over the hill right into my lap. It was during the foggy period and I took the closest bird (there may have been 30 in the flock) that had a red head. It was about a 35-ish yard shot and I aimed right at the base of the neck. As soon as I shot it went down in a heap flopping. Having seen this before and then had them run off, I racked in another as the rest of the flock had the 'what the f&*$ was that?' look. The bird was spasming but not getting upright, so I backed out of the blind and made my way towards him just in case he decided to make a run for it. Not this time though. The flopping stopped and I had my bird. The wound channel was HUGE! Entry broke the wing joint above the breast on the left side, passed through, and exited out of the base of the neck on the right leaving a 1" hole. The NSA 26.8 gr. does the job.

I took a pic of the fog layer as we were leaving. The valley floor was still socked in, but as you can see I was maybe 100' in elevation above it midmorning.

download.png
2021fallturkey25impact1.1636857295.jpg

download.png
wheresthetown.1636857311.jpg

I really enjoyed this write up. You took me along with you on your hunt. The photos were a nice accompaniment. I would like to have seen more, but I realize that taking photos can take away from the experience so we’re lucky to see the ones that you did capture. Congratulations on your bag. Nice looking bird. Thank you for sharing. Which town was this in if you don’t mind me asking?

Thanks all. This is a part of family property that is an operating dairy farm in Petaluma, CA. It consists of several hundred acres and two parcels about a mile apart. The vast majority of the ranch is not suitable for hunting as it's set up to milk 400+ cows twice a day with all of the barns, equipment, people, and grazing areas. However, there are some corners and corridors that provide a steady stream of turkeys and deer to keep one or two hunters in meat and outdoor entertainment for the year. The pest shooting around the dairy, while certainly not as highbrow as the deer and turkeys, is a hoot. Loads of Eurasian doves, and too many starlings to even bother with. We're very close to town; only about 5 minutes or so from the city limits of 50,000 people. 

Here's some pics from some other hunts. Doves, deer, and turkeys. Deer was taken with a firearm as airguns are not legal in CA for big game, which is a shame.

download.png
2020Texan215yards1.1636899731.jpg

download.png
2021doves.1636899260.jpg

download.png
2021manor3x2.1636899039.jpg

Very nice, the boys and I are going to look for a turkey right now…The fog finally lifted up here in Potter Valley. You know Garret Gary by any chance? He lives up in Laytonville now but ran around on many of those dairy farms for years, went to school down there and looks about your age. His dad was a long time teacher in Petaluma too. Just curious. Have a great day.

Stoti