• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Fairfield Sportsmen's Association 100-Yard Benchrest Match Results 4/13/24

Looks like there is some interest in the results of our Benchrest matches here in SW Ohio, so I'll start posting them here. We had been primarily using Facebook and our club webpage to promote and provide results. Just a little preface before the report. I (Jeff Swartz) along with Ryan Spanagel started holding field target and benchrest matches at FSA in 2020. We've worked our way up from 2 matches in a year to eight 100-yard matches in 2023. Our idea behind holding benchrest matches was for practice for the Pyramyd Cup. We modeled the first event after it, with the same 2 qualifying cards and a 1-card finals. At our very first event, we had one shooter put up the best 2 cards of the day in the qualifying rounds, but at the end of the day, he did not win. I was the fortunate recipient of 1st place that day, but it didn't quite sit right with me. My three card total would put me in the middle of the qualifying pack, though I did have a very good final card and the person previously at the top shot his lowest card last. By the way, his 3 card total is still in our top 10 best point totals (of which there are 309 3-card scores after this event), and all he has to show for it is a 2nd place finish. I know the current big BR event format has been referred to as "pretend rest", and MY saying is "coin-flip benchrest". In my opinion, the top 10-15 shooters at these events were not doing much other than flipping coins for the top spot (though Thanye Simmons and Rusbear are trying to prove me wrong with their consistent top 3 finishes). So, every one of our matches since has been sum of 3-cards. We have been very pleased to watch see-saw battles unfold, with a different leader after each round. Ultimately, the shooter with most consistent 3 scores emerges from the pack. The results we witness make us feel we have been vindicated by our decision to go to sum of 3 cards.

Anyway, here is the match report. If you want to peruse the reports for all 22 of our matches, you can find them at https://www.fairfieldsportsmen.com/disciplines/field-target-airgun/match-report/. You can also ask tp join our FB group https://www.facebook.com/groups/airguns.fsa for more information about the matches we hold.

The first 2024 100-yard Benchrest event at FSA started off on a sour note. We arrived to find the weather had blown down nearly half of our target backer boards that we hang the targets on. Before we could set up and get the match rolling, we had to get that fixed. A big thank you to Brandon Michaud and Ana Rose Spanagel who helped Ryan and me hang new boards. We were there early, so the unexpected work only caused a slight delay in getting the match started.

The weather also made life a little difficult during the match. The temperature started out rather chilly until around noon, when the sun came out and made for a beautiful comfortable day. The winds were more mild than the forecast, but what was lacking in wind speed, it more than made up for in shiftiness. You could hear the frustration down the line as you couldn’t count on two shots in a row with the same conditions. The numerous winds flag on the course had moments where it looked like 9 of them were pointing in 9 different directions. It is hard to imagine a more twitchy wind. You could also tell everyone was shaking off the winter rust as it seemed many mistakes were made. We saw a little of everything. Double loads, targets skipped and not shot, targets double tapped, and even targets accidentally shot again after all 25 shots had been taken. I imagine we’ll all get better the next time around.

We had 13 participants for the first of two 3-card matches. Robert Moore led after the first round as he shot a really solid 234 6X on the first card. This was the highest single score shot all day. His score dropped on the second card, which allowed Ana Rose Spanagel to pull into a tie with Rob, each with a total of 450 after 2 cards. The next closest competitor was 8 points behind at 442. Ana Rose shot another very consistent card of 219 to top Rob’s 215. Rob finished second and Jeff Swartz slid into 3rd place, 2 points behind Rob. In 5 previous attempts, Ana Rose’s best finish was a 5th place, but today she notched her first win joining a select group of only 7 people to place first in 22 matches over the past 4 years. This win was the first time the main even has been won with a caliber other than .30. Ana Rose was shooting a .25 caliber Air Venturi AvengeX that her husband Ryan set up. This was by far the least expensive gun on the line at this match and maybe ever. But it was definitely capable of hanging with the Impacts, Crowns, Red Wolfs and Epochs.

After our “Main Event” was over, 10 people stuck around for a second match. At least 4 shooters switched to a different gun. By the time the 2nd card was complete, Jeff Swartz had opened up a 9-point lead. While dropping below 220 on his last card he was still able to secure first place, holding off Ryan Spanagel who placed second. Tom Cox shot a 225 on his third card in some very difficult conditions to take 3rd place (he moved up 3 spots from 6th place after 2 cards).

We had a person interested in shooting our new-shooter loaner gun, but they ultimately couldn’t make it to the match. It could have been their day, as the loaner gun is the same make, model and caliber that won the main event. High Pressure Pneumatics donated an AV AvengeX, Hawke donated a Sidewinder scope, Donny FL donated moderators, and Predator International donated the pellets. With Ryan and Jeff supplying the rest and air a new shooter would have everything they need to give this sport a try. The gun will be available at all matches this year, so if you’re a new shooter and want to participate, let us know.

A big thank you to everyone in attendance and please make sure you thank all of our sponsors (Baker Airguns, Hawke Optics, Predator International, Donny FL, and High Pressure Pneumatics) by considering them for all your air gunning needs.

Jeff Swartz and Ryan Spanagel

1713313465523.png

1713313481607.png

Nice match report. I like the 3 card total, and since you can all shoot at the same time under the same conditions, that’s the way to go.
At the big events like EBR, where there are over 150 shooters, there is no way to all shoot under the same conditions, so a 3 card aggregate is not a very fair way to go. That’s why they shoot by relay, and each relay shoots under the same conditions, then the top aggregates of those two cards make it to the finals, where they shoot under the same conditions.

Reactions: Raider03
Nice match report. I like the 3 card total, and since you can all shoot at the same time under the same conditions, that’s the way to go.
At the big events like EBR, where there are over 150 shooters, there is no way to all shoot under the same conditions, so a 3 card aggregate is not a very fair way to go. That’s why they shoot by relay, and each relay shoots under the same conditions, then the top aggregates of those two cards make it to the finals, where they shoot under the same conditions.
the problem is the big events do too many other disciplines to have enough time to do it right. Ideally for a big event with more participants than benches, they should be doing a sum of 5 or 6 cards. Conditions will then start to even out and skill will rise to the top.

Reactions: Joef
the problem is the big events do too many other disciplines to have enough time to do it right. Ideally for a big event with more participants than benches, they should be doing a sum of 5 or 6 cards. Conditions will then start to even out and skill will rise to the top.
Yeah, possibly. But unlike has been stated many times on AGN that it involved too much luck for someone to win multiple times, or consistently finish near the top, that has been debunked post Covid hasn’t it?
How many benches do you have at your range?

Last edited:
Reactions: Raider03
I try to avoid using the term “luck”. I said “coin flip” since up until the last year or so, the skill levels were so close that statistically no single shooter or shooters were standing out from the pack. And I did mention Thayne and Nickolay as the ones starting to change my mind. In my opinion, they are the only 2 that have had a consistent string of solid performances, not just in the top 10-20, but in the top 3-5 spots. That is a testament to their high skill level. But, I am also wondering if Thayne’s performance isn’t just his skill, but also a little bit of equipment advantage. He still has to perform at a very high level and have the mental fortitude to hold it all together. But even a slight advantage from the Red Panda could push him to the front of the field if he makes no major mistakes. His run of wins is phenomenal and unprecedented. We’ll have to wait to see if that guess is true. When the Red Panda starts getting into the hands of shooters, will they have enough confidence to swap with what they’re currently using? That would be an indicator the gun may be better. And of course, wins and podium finishes will answer the question definitively.

We have 14 benches at FSA and we draw for benches. Only one less than they have at the NAC. So, I guess we could hold a 5th major if we felt like it. We’ve had as many as 17 shooters so we’ve had to run 2 heats a couple times. Then its up to the luck of the draw with wind conditions.

I try to avoid using the term “luck”. I said “coin flip” since up until the last year or so, the skill levels were so close that statistically no single shooter or shooters were standing out from the pack. And I did mention Thayne and Nickolay as the ones starting to change my mind. In my opinion, they are the only 2 that have had a consistent string of solid performances, not just in the top 10-20, but in the top 3-5 spots. That is a testament to their high skill level. But, I am also wondering if Thayne’s performance isn’t just his skill, but also a little bit of equipment advantage. He still has to perform at a very high level and have the mental fortitude to hold it all together. But even a slight advantage from the Red Panda could push him to the front of the field if he makes no major mistakes. His run of wins is phenomenal and unprecedented. We’ll have to wait to see if that guess is true. When the Red Panda starts getting into the hands of shooters, will they have enough confidence to swap with what they’re currently using? That would be an indicator the gun may be better. And of course, wins and podium finishes will answer the question definitively.

We have 14 benches at FSA and we draw for benches. Only one less than they have at the NAC. So, I guess we could hold a 5th major if we felt like it. We’ve had as many as 17 shooters so we’ve had to run 2 heats a couple times. Then its up to the luck of the draw with wind conditions.
I'd say Jeffrey Henandez @jeffhernandez would be in that list above Nicolay but behind Thayne, with Keith Gibson and Fady Kiwan in there on same level as Nicolay... So that's five, not two shooters that have proven that they are favored in the coin flip.
I agree with you that the RP may have given Thayne just enough of a smidge of an advantage to take him over the top. He's always been near the top with his Impact anyway... We'll see how he does this year, and it starts this weekend at the NAC.
I wouldn't really call the NAC or PAC a "major", but a level right below major. We can call them a major once they start getting 150+ shooters.

Reactions: jeffhernandez