Fair pricing for used PCPs?

it can vary depending on popularity...I am always looking for 60% of new price...and sooner or later I can get it....

New model PCP's are coming out all the time.10% of new price is typically because that model is popular and harder to get ,new or used,

Be wise and patient,, you may get a steal of a deal.I have noticed on this website people love FX.....so you will most likely will pay more for that brand...... unless it is a 2 or more years older model......

Fair is what a person is selling item for ,not buying said item.....

You don't specify which pcp, but if you are talking top tier, for sale on this website, then the price just might be fair. Many here just buy to try and sell quickly. They don't work on their guns and take care of them. They know the guns value, that's why they bought it in the first place. The Daystates, FX, Edguns, AAA, AA, are not yardsale junk that get discounted quickly. Unlike firearms there isn't any throat erosion and barrels that only see pellets are just about immortal. The airgun nation community knows these things and that's why they get what they can from each other and are mostly happy to do so. This sites classifieds isn't the place to find a deal from an inexperienced owner either. You might find a deal from someone getting out, or if you stick around and make friends, but that's about it. You might also consider that 10% off is a great deal if the gun is from a member with a history and you know that the gun you are buying has been vetted for issues. In the end, you've got to pay to play.

Well, the seller wants all he can get, and the buyer wants to pay no more than necessary, so it ultimately depends on the motivation of both. In my experience, assuming excellent to like-new condition, the 60% of new price isn't in the market. If you are a constant bottom feeder and just like making low ball offers, seeking that exceptional deal, then yes, you will find a few in the long run. The current supply situation has created a seller's market for many desirable rifles. Today, in the case of a reasonably new rifle in like-new condition, I'm willing to pay (or accept), around 80% of the lowest cost new. But again, it all depends on motivation. Looking for a good rifle at a reasonable price is one thing, but looking for bragging rights to a steal is something else. 

My advice is be very careful. I have bought, sold and traded for 20+ years and sooner or later you will get burned if your not careful. For example, I was interested in buying a used Daystate Redwolf, so I asked the guy if he had choreographed it himself because he talked about how accurate it was with slugs in .177cal. Here was his answer, "I could but Airguns of Arizona did all that before sending me the gun. And like all Daystates the standard deviation in these guns are amazing. Truly lazer beams. Youtube them if you have a chance."

What am I supposed to do with that? "I could" meaning I have a chronograph but I'm too lazy to do it? That's what I took it to mean. And he wants someone to pay $2K and trust that there is nothing wrong with the gun. If that is ever my response I hope no one is dumb enough to buy my gun. 

If they can't provide you with basic information, walk away, because it's more than likely a bad deal. FYI, on the classifieds "good deals" don't last very long. It doesn't take 6 months to sell an airgun on AGN unless something is wrong with the price, the owner or the gun.

On the positive side, there are some good guys selling guns in the classifieds and in time you'll figure out who they are. 

Market determines the price. and yes, I've whined about this before. Let's take my Impact Gen 1. I contacted a major reseller a while back about selling to them. He said they'd pay $600 to $700 at the time and list for $1200 or $1500 after they'd performed a complete service on the gun to ensure it was up to their standards. So, in their case, they had to buy the gun, spend money to service the gun, list on their web site, and carry the inventory till it sold. At the time, for their cost structure, that seemed fair. I kept the gun because the spare parts were worth more than $600 to me.

Individuals selling, that's a whole 'nother ball game. Personally, if I don't get the warranty and the privilege of taking the wrapper off, it's a 50% discount or more over new price. That doesn't work in some markets like the Impact where someone else is willing to take a 5% discount and consider it a good deal. On the other end of the spectrum, have you tried to find a used Avenger? Nope, not happening at a reasonable price.

On the other hand, if I'm selling the gun still has some value to me. There's a price where I'd rather keep it than sell it. Like I did above. Parts from my gun were worth more than the $600 offered so I kept it. Used market is a crazy place where it's all about right now as there is only one gun in inventory and usually only one buyer. makes for some crazy dynamica

There have been numerous post on this before, and honestly, it’s really simple.
It’s called Fair Market Value. It’s what the buyer is willing to pay and the seller is willing to accept.

There is no, “multiplier” to determine what something should sell for.

The Blue Book of old is like a telephone directory. No one uses it any more. 

if you are wanting to buy a gun or any other item and you find on the classified and you feel the price is to high, exercise your freedom of choice and that is to offer a different price or move on. If the seller declines don’t let it hurt your feelings. Somebody else may have the same thing at a lower price later down the road. 
If he or she really, really wants/needs to sell it, they’ll determine FMV. 
If I were a bettin’ man, I wager at least 50% what you see in the classifieds are buyers’ remorse purchases. Anything from drinking the Koolaid poured by a social media influencers to lack of understanding of the performance of the product. If the price seems high, these poor souls are just trying to make you pay for their mistake. Some are simply exiting the sport.

Albeit, there are items folks are selling to offset the cost what they deem an “upgrade”. This is the category I typically fall into. I’m not a collector; I shoot mostly FT and do an annual hunting trip so I have primary and a secondary gun in the event of my primary rifle having an issue. (This has paid off in spades BTW)

In closing, if you think the price is too high and the seller is trying to rip you off, then you really don’t need it as bad as you think you do. 

I hate to say this, and i am sure there will be some push back from some but i have been driven to the point of Not wasting money on a used gun.

I know what's coming but lets be realistic , 5-10% off list price of any " used " gun is just plain criminal IMO .. Sure you can throw the supply , demand , factor in the equation , but honestly in the end it's still a used gun. on a 2000.00 gun a 200.00 discount is just not worth the chance over buying new, just me i guess...Be patient and wait for a new gun to come back in stock, you will be much better off 

My biggest complaint with buying used , even some so called " trusted and known " sellers, and some dealers will drop the high hard one off in ya..

Meaning they have tweaked, tuned, added on , over sprung , cleaned and or polished barrels with god knows what, so on , and so on, in an effort to " make the guns better " and end up having a gun that' s so far off in left field it won't hit the broad side of a barn... you damn well better know what you're doing to get it back to how it shot out of the box....

I am Not saying all used guns are a bad deal , i am saying a used gun at 5-10% is a bad deal , and yes i have sold used guns, when i do they are lightly used at best and usually i end up getting the short end of the stick on the deal , it is a USED gun...

Just be careful guys, you are ultimately putting your trust, faith, and hard earned cash in someone you have probably never met in person ....

Peace and be safe Mi amigo's !

What bfloyd said.

A few months back, I found a guy selling a black Weihrauch HW45, I was looking. The only "apparent" problem, he wanted the same money that the dealers wanted for new ! But, no one had them in stock. So...what to do, by used for a new price or wait.

I did ask the seller about giving a bit of a break, I got no mail/comment back ! So...I waited a little and found an actual "new" gun at one of the major dealers, for actually a couple of dollars cheaper than the used gun. His gun sat in the for sale section for some time. It finally disappeared. Was it no longer for sale...or did someone buy it...I don't know.

Mike

In my opinion, expecting 90% of new for any used airgun is simply nuts. Others may pay that, but I never would. For me, the peace of mind that comes with buying a new item is worth more than the $200 savings on a $2,000 gun. On the other hand, popular high end guns that are hard to find new, like the FX Impact/Crown/Maverick/Wildcat, or the top end Daystates, are not going to be had for 50-67%.

Generally I am usually willing to sell my used guns (mostly FX) for between 70 and 80% of the new price. I have had absolutely no difficulty selling everything I have posted for that price range. I buy nice stuff, treat them well, and list for a reasonable price, not a “steal” price.

Chris

"Fair" has nothing to do with it. Depending on accessories and if the owner has done upgrades. All bores are not created equally. If the barrel is a standout or if the tune is something very desirable and or rare, e.g., a .22 that can shoot slugs at 70 FPE with MOA accuracy. Countless hours can go into creating and tuning...........

The market will decide the price. If seller gets what he is asking and the buying is happy, the would be a "fair" deal completed. 

"Fair" has nothing to do with it. Depending on accessories and if the owner has done upgrades. All bores are not created equally. If the barrel is a standout or if the tune is something very desirable and or rare, e.g., a .22 that can shoot slugs at 70 FPE with MOA accuracy. Countless hours can go into creating and tuning...........

The market will decide the price. If seller gets what he is asking and the buying is happy, the would be a "fair" deal completed.

+1