• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Failed tank. Failed air gunner

WOW" i never thought anything went wrong with fiber tanks?? i guess im staying with my old metal tanks"
Metal tanks are just thicker wall than the metal liner with carbon fiber support. It just means corrosion takes longer and without carbon fiber support the potential failure is more spectacular. Probably a pin hole leak but it can be worse.

To the OP - Sorry to learn about your tank failure. Fortunately it was a fairly uneventful failure! I am sure the members here would be interested in seeing how much damage there was inside your tank if you wanted to cut it open or check it with an inspection camera.

A good example of why you need an efficient moisture trap that you constantly monitor and why you might want to inspect the inside of your tank on a regular basis. I plan on checking mine internally once a year. Very easy process, just let the air out, remove the valve assembly and run a USB bore light around inside to check the condition of the aluminum liner. Also a good idea to check inside any used tanks you buy that you aren't going to hydro test, before finalizing the sale and before filling them.

After seeing this, I am glad I didn't buy a $300 Chinese tank off Aliexpress.

Where are the Air Venturi tanks made?
I might do that.

It seems like everyone has gone off in the ‘Don’t buy Chinese crap’ tangent in this thread. That is fine but please look at the video I linked to in post #10 of this thread. The tank in the video is a 7 year old made in the USA by a respected manufacturer piece of equipment. So it hasn’t even reached the halfway point in its 15 year ‘lifetime’ but has the same failure mode as the original poster’s Chinese bottle. The OP clearly states that he made mistakes 3 years ago… was using his Yong Heng with no additional moisture filter in the humidity of South Carolina in his garage. I think the real take-away here should be make sure you are filling your bottle with CLEAN DRY AIR. Any of the carbon wrapped aluminum core bottles will fail prematurely if you allow moisture to collect in them, regardless of where they are manufactured.

Last edited:
It seems like everyone has gone off in the ‘Don’t buy Chinese crap’ tangent in this thread. That is fine but please look at the video I linked to in post #10 of this thread. The tank in the video is a 7 year old made in the USA by a respected manufacturer piece of equipment. So it hasn’t even reached the halfway point in its 15 year ‘lifetime’ but has the same failure mode as the original poster’s Chinese bottle. The OP clearly states that he made mistakes 3 years ago… was using his Yong Heng with no additional moisture filter in the humidity of South Carolina in his garage. I think the real take-away here should be make sure you are filling your bottle with CLEAN DRY AIR. Any of the carbon wrapped aluminum core bottles will fail prematurely if you allow moisture to collect in them, regardless of where they are manufactured.
Yes I believe your correct and I should have bought a quality moisture separator from the moment I noticed how much was in the small cotton filter that came with my Compressor.

Moisture is a real killer for tanks and GUNS - I bought a used Scott tank from a guy and I know he filled it with a YH. Before filling it my self I thought - I wonder if he used the crap filter that comes with the compressor or has a good filter separator. Decided to check it out - bleed down pulled the valve - about 1/4 cup of water. Inspected the internals - didn't see any damage but was just a matter of time.

Reactions: qball
Moisture is a real killer for tanks and GUNS - I bought a used Scott tank from a guy and I know he filled it with a YH. Before filling it my self I thought - I wonder if he used the crap filter that comes with the compressor or has a good filter separator. Decided to check it out - bleed down pulled the valve - about 1/4 cup of water. Inspected the internals - didn't see any damage but was just a matter of time.
Yes. As soon as I get my new tank from Mr B. I will dump the air I my guns. Thanks for the reminder.

Yes I believe your correct and I should have bought a quality moisture separator from the moment I noticed how much was in the small cotton filter that came with my Compressor.
Here’s sort of an example of what those cotton filters do. When you look outside and it’s foggy, that filter will catch those droplets. But when it's humid outside you can’t see it, that moisture goes right through that cotton filter like it’s not there, it passes right through and then once it cools it wil drop out as moisture, either in your carbon fiber tank or your guns tank.
A dessicant filter is the method used to remove moisture to an acceptable level. Typically the air coming from a dessicant filtered scuba compressor is referred to as Grade E, very dry. Nitrogen is also a very good source as it is extremely dry, drier than Grade E air.

This is what I decided on. I saw a video by a guy using it on his channel. Can't remember but it's a popular one and he did a good job explaining it. But now I am second guessing my decision as this type is solid state. There is no opening or changing of desiccant.

Screenshot_20230117_222317_eBay.jpg

This is what I decided on. I saw a video by a guy using it on his channel. Can't remember but it's a popular one and he did a good job explaining it. But now I am second guessing my decision as this type is solid state. There is no opening or changing of desiccant.

View attachment 324260
Good deal. Be sure to mount it vertically and drain any moisture after each use.
I apologize if you already know this, but I don’t know what you know. 😬

Best method to insure this doesn't happen to you is to feed the compressor nothing but dri Nitrogen no water separators needed. Go to your local welding supply store get a 120 cf bottle and a cheap regulator and hose feed the inlet on the compressor about 8-10 psi and its perfect. No detonation in compressor or guns as without oxygen NO combustion can occur and no moisture no oxidizers and your gun will shoot faster.

Reactions: rcs9250
That's the reason I cut off the water extension tube that protrudes from the inside threaded area. I can then turn the tank upside down and open the valve, if there is water coming out, I'll take it to the local Fire Dept and have the valve removed and check the inside.
That gets the bulk of the liquid out of the cylinder but you still have moisture in the tank and that will still cause corrosion. It really needs to be rinsed out and dried.

Reactions: qball
Seems like a good advise to me.

Reactions: rcs9250