• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Failed tank. Failed air gunner

So I was loosing air and assumed it was the valve. I used soapy water and yes my valve on my air tank had a slow leak but I fixed it. But the leak was still happening to my dismay. I hooked everything up to my yong heng and my new water separator. Sprayed all connections and at about 3000 psi discovered that my tank was actually leaking in not one but 2 places. See pictures. I ordered this tank in early 2017 along with a valve out of China as well as the compressor as the costs were so much lower. Because I stopped shooting for the past 3 years and didn't have a good water separator and stored the tank in the variable SC environment of my garage. So word of advise. Don't do what I did.
So I am looking to replace my valve and tank and any advise or links would be great.

20230114_114701.jpg

20230114_114146.jpg

Attachments

• 20230114_120156.jpg
    20230114_120156.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
So I was loosing air and assumed it was the valve. I used soapy water and yes my valve on my air tank had a slow leak but I fixed it. But the leak was still happening to my dismay. I hooked everything up to my yong heng and my new water separator. Sprayed all connections and at about 3000 psi discovered that my tank was actually leaking in not one but 2 places. See pictures. I ordered this tank in early 2017 along with a valve out of China as well as the compressor as the costs were so much lower. Because I stopped shooting for the past 3 years and didn't have a good water separator and stored the tank in the variable SC environment of my garage. So word of advise. Don't do what I did.
So I am looking to replace my valve and tank and any advise or links would be great.

View attachment 323114

View attachment 323117
Joe brancato sells American made tanks that are excellent. Donny FL or saber tactical makes a valve that's slick as snot on a brass door nob.

Wow. Sorry for your loss of the tank.

Gotta say though, this sort of controlled leak makes me feel better than hearing about a kaBOOM!!! Been a handful of people mention over the years that this is the typical way that a scba tank fails, kinda reassuring to see that appears to true.

I recently had a good friend JUST LOOSE one of these large CHINA tanks .... Inner vessel likely fractured and air bubbles found leaking threw outer wrap in several place.

See: Chinese SCBA tanks
Same result Scott? leaking out the sides of the tank through the carbon fiber wrap?

Reactions: dgeesaman

View attachment 323114

View attachment 323117
I think you are luckily as hell that it didn't rupture. that would have left a mark, or twenty.

Yup, that is a well documented fail mode for carbon wrapped bottles. Moisture does really bad things to the aluminum liner especially under high pressure and you end up with air leaking through both the liner and the carbon wrap. I have attached a link below to a short video that an AGN member (whose name I cannot remember) posted showing this exact problem. He then cut the tank open and shows the oxidation that was present on the aluminum liner, photo included.

20200814_142648.jpg

Yup, that is a well documented fail mode for carbon wrapped bottles. Moisture does really bad things to the aluminum liner especially under high pressure and you end up with air leaking through both the liner and the carbon wrap. I have attached a link below to a short video that an AGN member (whose name I cannot remember) posted showing this exact problem. He then cut the tank open and shows the oxidation that was present on the aluminum liner, photo included.

View attachment 323283
As the video mentioned. Dry air is important to your tank. And the internals of your rifle.

Reactions: cwcarrera
To the OP - Sorry to learn about your tank failure. Fortunately it was a fairly uneventful failure! I am sure the members here would be interested in seeing how much damage there was inside your tank if you wanted to cut it open or check it with an inspection camera.

A good example of why you need an efficient moisture trap that you constantly monitor and why you might want to inspect the inside of your tank on a regular basis. I plan on checking mine internally once a year. Very easy process, just let the air out, remove the valve assembly and run a USB bore light around inside to check the condition of the aluminum liner. Also a good idea to check inside any used tanks you buy that you aren't going to hydro test, before finalizing the sale and before filling them.

After seeing this, I am glad I didn't buy a $300 Chinese tank off Aliexpress.

As mentioned, Joe Brancato and also Air Venturi. I have one of each and am pleased with both.
PA has some reduced price 2020 manufacturing date tanks.

Where are the Air Venturi tanks made?

Last edited:
Heard good things about Joe Brancato's tanks. Airmarksman tank I got from Utah Air has been good to me so far. DOT certified. Only issue I had was a gauge. One phone call and they sent me a digital replacement at no cost. I live in GA and understand dealing with the humidity like you have in SC. I wouldn't fill my tank outside or in a garage in GA or SC. I use an Alkin and I still will not run it outside or in my garage because of the humidity. Wife, luckily lets me fill my tanks in our house.

A good example of why you might want to inspect the inside of your tank on a regular basis. I plan on checking mine internally once a year. Very easy process, just let the air out, remove the valve assembly and run a USB bore light around inside to check the condition of the aluminum liner. Also a good idea to check inside any used tanks you buy before finalizing the sale or filling them.

Where are the Air Venturi tanks made?
Oops. I’m thinking you already know the answer to that. Korea. I had no idea till you asked. I incorrectly assumed U.S. made since Air Venturi is local company here in Solon, Ohio.
Fortunately my Alkin pumps dry air I’ll be OK. It’s my back up tank and has not lost any air as it has been sitting full for over a year. Thanks for the heads up though.

Oops. I’m thinking you already know the answer to that. Korea. I had no idea till you asked. I incorrectly assumed U.S. made since Air Venturi is local company here in Solon, Ohio.
Fortunately my Alkin pumps dry air I’ll be OK. It’s my back up tank and has not lost any air as it has been sitting full for over a year. Thanks for the heads up though.

Thanks for posting the country of manufacture. Actually, I didn't know where they were made. I searched a bit and never saw "Made in the USA" in any of the listings, but never did find where they were made. Sometimes I think Google intentionally tricks me! I would have substantially more confidence in a S. Korean made tank than one from China.

Last edited:

View attachment 323114

View attachment 323117
I ordered a great white 9L yesterday

Reactions: GA_LeadHead