• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

AEA Factory Defect In This Particular AEA Challenger .30

I can't find o-ring sizes for the AEA Challenger .30. I get a puff of air coming from the transfer port between the upper and lower. There was no seal in there from the factory and I suspect it uses an x-ring instead of the o-ring I put in but I'd like to know for sure.
EDIT: A factory defect from over drilled holes is eating the o-rings and letting air escape on each shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: RM.510bigbore
None of the 3 missing o-rings were 9x1.5
The lower to upper transfer port o-ring size is 7.5x1.5 (under the power adjuster)
The barrel exterior o-rings either side of the transfer port holes size is 10x1
All three were missing on my son's challenger from the factory but it was an easy fix.
That is alarming.
Did you get it sealed?

That is alarming.
Did you get it sealed?
I was wrong about the gun being built without o-rings but the situation is worse. The two front holes where the trigger plate is bolted to the receiver were drilled way deeper than required and cut through both sides of the chamber around the barrel where the transfer port is. The o-rings that seal the radial transfer ports on the barrel get broken up and blown into those two slots as high pressure air exits the holes between the air tube and receiver with every shot. I emailed Fox Air Power today to inquire about a new receiver since that's the best way to fix the problem. They said they would forward my information to their tech so I'm still waiting on an answer.
I'll try to post a rendering later to better illustrate. I can't get a picture without a bore scope.

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
Wow......AEA quality control is seriously lacking.......
I don't think so, I think this particular one had a defect since no one else has reported the same. I'm confident the company will stand behind their product and help solve the problem. Everyone makes mistakes, it's how you fix them that matters so I want to give them a chance. I like the gun and think it's an excellent value for the performance.

Here's a picture with the transfer port that surrounds the barrel backlit. You see light coming from the two boltholes that were over drilled when they should be blind tapped. These holes were drilled about 20mm too deep so every time you pull the trigger high pressure air passes through the holes with the bolts in them and comes out between the receiver and air tube near the magazine. The only good fix is a new receiver without this defect.
Over drilled -.jpg

Wow......AEA quality control is seriously lacking.......
Looks like you were right. I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt but Fox Air Power says they're all made that way and this is their first time hearing of this problem so it must just need new o-rings to blast out into the bolt holes with each shot. The over drilled holes line up with the forward most barrel o-ring on this one so there is no support to seal the o-ring or keep it in place.
I'll machine parts to fix it myself and make it safe for use.

Last edited:
Update.
After getting aggravated with the person at Fox Air Power saying all challengers are made that way and offering o-rings I told the person I was aggravated with the way this was going and would fix it on my own. Now they've offered to send a free replacement receiver even though the airgun is way out of warranty and my son is the 3rd owner so we'll see how it goes. I will fix this airgun though, whatever it takes.

I understand that Fox Air Power owes me nothing and I thank them for any help they provide.

Got the used receiver block yesterday with a red paint smudge on the side that won't wipe off and some o-rings that don't fit.
I wish I had just ordered a new block because I'm not using the one sent. I'll just machine the barrel to put it deeper in the block past the over drilled holes where the o-rings can seal. At least I didn't spend money for that. Lesson learned.

Got the used receiver block yesterday with a red paint smudge on the side that won't wipe off and some o-rings that don't fit.
I wish I had just ordered a new block because I'm not using the one sent. I'll just machine the barrel to put it deeper in the block past the over drilled holes where the o-rings can seal. At least I didn't spend money for that. Lesson learned.
I'm glad you have the ability and tooling to fix on your own. Do you think their all like that?

Reactions: heavy-impact