• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Face coverings...do you use one pesting?

Well, I am always one looking for new tips and tricks. For a few more weeks I live vicariously through YouTube for my pesting outlet. I see many Brits using face covering while pesting on farms. So this got me thinking....Is this a practice used in USA while out pesting on a farm / dairy to reduce your silhouette? 

If you do use a face covering, why and why do you see value in it?

D68CC388-A5A6-457C-A657-72D6379F374A.1619554560.jpeg

I don't understand the fascination the Brits have with camo. They put it on everything, and dress up like snipers and cover their gun in camo to shoot rats and birds in a barnyard. Oftentimes, when they aren't even around foliage. 

I've hunted all my life, and have never found going to those extremes necessary, even when in the woods actually hunting. I wear a face mask when bow hunting deer or turkey on the ground, and that's about it. 

For pesting? In a place where there are normally people anyway? No way. 

I bought a camo "bug suit" many years back, it is a mesh light weight jacket with a head cover and is made to fluf out away from your skin. By having the mesh away from the skin, the mosqitoes and flies cant bite. Very airy for summer wear but can be worn over a sweat shirt or coat for colder weather. Breaks up the human form and keeps me from bug bites. Wore it thru many field target matches when bugs were present. I would be busy hitting targets while others were swatting bugs!

Use it in my north forty when pursuing pests, often the critters never see me until it is to late.

I use a wide brim straw hat with camo mesh scarf draped over the entire thing covering my head and over my shoulders( I can see through it). I have observed that the more my head and body look like a shapeless blob the more squirrels I had a chance at. I once stood dead still 2 ft from a squirrel on a limb. I got tired after watching it chew buds of my tree and moved. It left after I swung a stick at it. Camo is for hiding from people and animal that can see some color. Being the approximate shape of a log or boulder and covering my movements like a mini blind has been effective for pesting for me.

If you are shooting pests in a farm yard, those birds are used to seeing people all day. Just dress like a farmer or worker and you will do better. Walk around casually, and dont stare at the birds. If you look like everyone else, they wont care about you at all. If you look different or threatening, they will spook... birds are far from stupid, and a dark moving camo blob in a farm yard is totally foreign to them, stands out like a sore thumb. When I was young I used to shoot pigeons all day long on my uncles farms, used to try and hide with camo and they would spot you every single time. Wear blue jeans and a red shirt and you can walk right under them. 

When I go to public hunting grounds, I always wear a face covering such as a camo scarf and skull cap. Today, I was at my rental property to keep the starlings population down, and I had on a black jacket, black face gaitor and a black skull cap. A cardinal almost landed on my shoulder, twice as I sat in a premanufactured treehouse with my AEA HPBP! That certainly has never happened before!