Eye Safety

OK, so I used to work for a mining company and a natural gas company before that. Safety was everything. At the mining company, it was a good year when only 1 or 2 people died (over 100k employees, but still we wanted no injury years. Never got one.)

They lectured on safety, bought us all sorts of safety equipment, handed hearing safety and vision safety equipment like candy. I had no idea what the stuff cost till I left their employ.

My father was deaf (passed past away last fall at 94). Doctor said it was from the artillery in WWII (Occupation Forces, Japan). Needless to say, I've protected my hearing. Same for the eyes. I only get one pair and I really want to keep them.

ANSI Z87.1 standard equipment isn't expensive either. Personally, I use the 3M glasses at the Range and Peltor muffs, with 3M ear plugs when I can get them (I typically double up on ear protection). At home, muffs, and safety glasses.

Problem with just sun glasses is that if they get hit, they can shatter into your eyes. Odds of happening are pretty slim, but can happen.

After so many years in mining and natural gas, safety drilled into me for years on end, it's second nature and I'd recommend everyone spend a few bucks on decent equipment. A good set of muffs with a 25 db reduction is a whopping $6 on Amazon

Glasses start at something like $3 and go up from there.

Amazon sells glasses in a 12 pack for about $25

so, please protect yourself. It's cheap and on the really off chance something happens, the injuries might not be as bad as they could be.

stay safe out there!

People that don’t believe in personal protective equipment or find PPE a hassle should watch that movie “Charlie”. Charlie took short cuts, hated wearing PPE, and worked for Exxon in a fuel refinery plant. Well, his last shortcut was truly his last, and according to his video, the worse thing that happened was he lived to tell the tale. 

In my trade, I’ve got friends with missing fingers, one eye, deaf, hands that got degloved from the skin, all sorts of brutal stuff. Yes, and you’re right, you only get two eyes. 

By the way, according to OSHA, all PPE is to be provided by the employer, and the use of them is the responsibility of the employee.

If your employer does not provide any PPE or safety training, one anonymous phone call to OSHA will fix that.

I pretty much wear safety glasses all the time. My eyes are very sensitive to sun light and wind and can’t hardly be outside during the day without sunglasses on. I won’t pay the money for those name brand sunglasses. Mind blowing to me what some will pay for a single pair of sunglasses. Anyways, these are the ones I’ve been wearing. They are comfortable and I think they’re stylish enough and don’t look like your typical safety glasses, so I wear them as my everyday sunglasses. They’re not so expensive so if they get lost or scratched it’s not a huge loss. I buy several pair and keep them in both vehicles, in the garage and shed and at work so I have backups. I really don’t have any excuse not to wear safety glasses whether I’m shooting or not. 

1589269554_1605884645eba5432044c36.52010143.png