Eye Fatigue.....

Ok I typed out a whole long essay and then my tablet puked and I lost it all so let me try again. Try shooting with tinted lenses. It willallow your pupils to enlarge thereby giving more light and better sight picture. Try shooting with both eyes open (difficult to learn to do)as it will relieve some eye muscle strain. Try tunmelling your vision path (a curled baseball hat brim or even side shade on your shooting glasses). Eyeglass wearer? Try shooting with and without glasses (if possible). Watch out for bi and tri focals if you wear them. The transition usually falls right wear you want to look and can really strain a squinting eye. Also go in a get and eye exam. Make sure there are no underlying issues. Try to avoid csffine before shooting as this dialates the eyes and that doesn't help with eye strain. There are some simple eye muscle massage you can do before and after (basically temple circles). I also found that sometimes simply closing your eyes for 30 seconds to a minute will give them a nice relaxing break.

I have to respectfully disagree with your statement that " shooting with tinted lenses. It will allow your pupils to enlarge thereby giving more light and better sight picture." The tint in the glasses REDUCES available light, and the large pupils will decrease depth of focus, which in some cases can cause more eye strain. I'm not saying that shooting with sunglasses is a bad thing to do, just disagreeing with your rational. 

Regarding shooting iron sights, the focus should be on the front sight, not the target, which, depending on the shooters refractive error, can cause eye strain. Glasses focused for the front sight can be beneficial. IMHO

Reactions: Strever
Artificial tears can help for sure. Our blink rate goes down when we read, focus on a target, etc. AT can relieve the symptoms of dryness (scratchy,gritty feeling, blurry vision) but it won't do anything for eye strain. That is a separate problem. For dry eyes, it also helps to just be conscious of your blinking so that you do it more often. Blink a couple of times as you are acquiring your sight picture.

I guess we have it lucky in field target with eye strain. To focus range find you have to intentionaly blink and refocus three or more times per target to ensure accracy. Also we take no more than six shots at a time which help tremendously. 

On a personal note I try not to peer through the scope for more than ten minutes at a time regardless of how or what I'm shooting. Eye fatigue tends to come with a headache for me.

I shoot with both eyes open. When I'm on the gun too long, I stop and take a smoke break. That's another problem for a different story. At night, when I'm doing some rat hunting, my eyes do get more strained because of the constant scanning for movement. I usually get up to relax, stretch out and grab a beer from the cooler but that's another problem for a different story.

My eyes didn't seem to get fatigued until I had Lasik surgery . I noticed it the first time I went shooting after the surgery and it has never gotten any better 15 years or so ago . I either shoot with my shooting glasses that I spray painted one side all black or I use an eye patch . I just can't seem to get shooting with both eyes open down 

Dan 

I have progressives....and my eyes are to the point if I am aiming a rifle, then take off the glasses I will say I can't see the front let alone the back sight or target. I have to move my head around to get a clear picture of the sights, then the target.....this is if shooting irons.

With glass there is usually not enough adjustment to get clear cross hairs without them. With progressives depending on how I hold my head will be very clear or not...it really is a struggle.....and if my head was not just right I would get dizzy, and stuff would be blurry.

So I got a set of glasses that is not progressive and that is what I shoot with.

Go see your eyeball doc....I think you will enjoy shooting more.