• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Extreme range hunting with .25 PCP at maximum power output for stability.

I also want to make long distance hunting shots like Ted's. I ordered today an FX Wildcat in .25 caliber and a Hawke Sidewinder 6-24x56 mil dot scope for hunting and plinking. My state allows turkey hunting with PCPs.
Note: I chose the Wildcat due to its weight. I would have ordered the FX Impact in .30 caliber but who knows when it will be available. When you add a nice scope to most of the available PCP guns they end up weighing over 10 pounds. I want to carry something lighter in the field.
Bob

I've found the jsb kings up to the task out to 150 yards. However at that range I'm holding 9 mils of elevation. Knowing the hold over is not difficult if you know the range. Where it gets tricky is reading the wind. I am capable of hitting a target at 150 but am not good enough at gauging the wind to comfortably shoot at critters at that range unless I've got a good backstop to let me see my miss and know how much I am off.

Iam not sure if any of you love powder weapons but it all applies. IMHO, that judging wind and elevation is a learning experience, even amoung seasoned shooter's. I've taken lots and lots of shots out at extreme ranges. I keep a very noble opinion about the KISS FACTOR. to me it applies to everything. I also do a lot of building fireworks and that applies as well especially building rockets that lift shells. So much goes into it. Best guys, Sas 

I too ordered the wildcat in 25 cal with a vortex diamond back 4x12x40 for same reason to keep the weight down I ordered from aoa supposed to be middle of this month is all they told me if anyone heard any exact date id love to know waiting anxiously and I also ordered the impact mid summer is all Their saying on that but ordered that in .25 cal feel like I'm In prison with a release date I imagine this is what it would feel like 

Please remember that to "shoot like Ted" and "make shots like Ted has done" requires more that the same gear as Ted. I imagine you know this instintively, but maybe with the excitement of new gear some might tend to forget that Ted has these skills because he has put in the time shooting. He has years of experience and has shown us at national events he is one of the top shooters. No pun intended but maybe, unless one has Ted's skills, one should set their sights a bit lower. Maybe those Looong shots, with humane kills, are for the future. At least please give this some thought. Ted is cool and it's OK to want to be like him, just try to remeber it took him his whole life to get this way.
Rob. 

P.shooter71: I don't think anyone has the Wildcat in stock at this time. I bought mine at AOA and expect to wait several weeks.
Robonline: You make a great point about Ted's experience and expertise. I know I have to acquire those long distance airgun skills through hands on experience. I will be building those airgun skills on top of 50 years of centerfire and rimfire experience. One of my most satisfying centerfire shots was a humane pronghorn antelope kill at 391 yards.
Bob

Wildcat buyers call your place of order now and order JSB .25 cal pellets there is a shortage in supply. Also In my gun ( not a smooth twist barrel)I have found H&N Sport Hollow Point 26.23 gr. And Predator Polymag 26 gr also to be very aaccurate . I find JSB the best pellet in my smooth twist .22 cal the very best. If this your first smooth twist you will love it, plus no cleaning.
Hopefully someone with .25 cal smooth twist will inform us.

And Bob, I'am finding more and more of my shooting buddies are now going to air gunning. It seems to be more fun, at least to me. I mean there was a time I would of laughed at Any one who said there was someone shooting a pellet gun at 100 yds and actually hitting a 12" target. But with the increasingly raise of ammo and there lack of. It only makes sense to jump on the bandwagon. Before we all know it, air gun will be banned. And it will start with regulating them first. Then so on and so on. Let's pray that never happens. Anyway, it seems to me this sport is like the difference between shooting game with your rifle then getting tired of that and going to a bow and arrow. At least for me. Challenge challenge challenge. That what I want and what I'm looking for. Not necessarily want to be like Ted as much as I just want to be doing it. Just my two cents, I guess...Steve 

"hunterdude"My hope is to be able to take the 150 yard shots that Ted has done all things being equal, with a pellet that speaks with authority.

My choice of rifle would be an FX Bobcat for the same reason that Ted has shown me in the latest video, mainly flexabilty of use.
Kalibr 0.22 also can do that with a very cheap scope(Leapers 3-9*40);
I got a box of milk(about 5cm*5cm*15cm) at a range of 164M;