• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Events Extreme BR and FT Match in Ashland, Oregon May 15, & 16th EDITED DATE

These are the rules of the range that you all need to read and agree to as well..

Site-Specific Rules - Air Gun Range “D”

1. Safety is our primary consideration when using this range. *
  2. All General Range Rules apply to use of this range.*
  3. All Fundamental Gun Handling Rules apply to the use of this range.*
  4. A thorough Safety Briefing will be conducted prior to any organized live fire events.*
  5. This range was specifically designed to facilitate air gun shooting activities. No Firearms are authorized on this range. In addition to the rules mentioned above, the following Site-Specific rules apply to this range:
    [/LIST=1]
    • Sign in is required immediately upon arrival**
    • At sign in, Equipment will be tested for safety issues and for foot lbs of energy with a limit of 100fpe.
    • Verification that the competitor has attended and passed the firearm and air gun safety courses.
    • All shooters are required to remain behind the established shooting line. Only range officers are allowed to call a “cold line” and manage competitors retrieving their targets for scoring.
    • Never load a weapon until it is pointed downrange and you are ready to shoot at the target. Never remove a loaded weapon off the shooting bench or point the weapon any direction except down range at the target.
    • Shooters are required to only shoot at the established targets. No random shooting is allowed at any time.
    • All targets are to be designed to collect the pellets, either by pellet absorbing materials like soft wood or angled metal pellet traps.
    • Shooters CANNOT shoot at their own targets UNLESS they are preapproved by the Range Safety Officer.
    • Any and All viewing non shooters will remain at least 8’ behind the shooters line and will remain silent during the competitions.
    • NO ONE is allowed on the shooting line during a “Cold Line” until the Range Safety Officer has given the “All Clear Downrange” call out.
    • All shooting must be done from the established shooting line, only one person at a time is allowed on the shooting platform/bench area.
    • During a competition, Shooters are required to have all their air supply tanks, pellets, and supplies with them before the match starts and are not allowed to leave their bench during a competition. Remain at your bench when you finish your card, and remain silent while others finish their cards, or until the RSO calls “Time is up”.
    • Quickly remove all your equipment after your relay to the spectator’s area or your vehicle.
    • During practice times shooters are allowed to go back and forth to the spectator’s area but only one person at a time is allowed on a shooting platform bench area, unless the second person is a RSO trainer instructing a student.
    • On Competition days competitors are allowed 10 min parking close to the shooting benches for unloading and loading equipment, but this area is limited to 5 vehicles at a time, so please be courteous and wait your turn if we have lots of traffic. If possible just park across the main drive by the picnic tables/waiting area and carry your equipment to the shooting line when your relay is called out.
    • At all times be courteous to everyone. Aggressive behavior will get you disqualified, removed and banned from the area permanently.
    • During practice days, if all benches are full, then limit your time on your bench to 1 hour at a time to allow everyone a chance on the line.
    • Do not attempt to “Police” others, but do relate your concerns about unsafe or uncourteous behavior to the RSO as soon as possible. You may ask a polite question like: “Maybe we should ask the RSO if that way of doing things is alright?”
    • Please use the recycle and trash bins and pickup any trash you may come across.
    • Double check that you have collected all your trash and equipment before you leave the area.

I have read and agree to obey all the rules above and hold harmless Airgun Oregon and the Ashland Gun and Archery Club for any and all liabilities.

Printed name:_____________________________ Signed Name: _________________________________Date: ______

JohnnyPDX,

The rules linked from our website (AOA posted rules) are not the rules we can use at our new air gun specific range we are setting up at the Ashland Gun Club. We have to get that updated. So, please use the rules I've posted here instead. 

Attached or not attached, Bipods are allowed. Tripods are not allowed.

Mike,

We need to know that all competitors understand the safety rules. New competitors must take our gun safety course before they can compete, but experienced shooters are given a pass. We take that on a case by case. Having a safe and fun match is our top priority.

Wayne

JohnnyPDX,

The rules linked from our website (AOA posted rules) are not the rules we can use at our new air gun specific range we are setting up at the Ashland Gun Club. We have to get that updated. So, please use the rules I've posted here instead. 

Attached or not attached, Bipods are allowed. Tripods are not allowed.

Mike,

We need to know that all competitors understand the safety rules. New competitors must take our gun safety course before they can compete, but experienced shooters are given a pass. We take that on a case by case. Having a safe and fun match is our top priority.

Wayne

Howdy Wayne and Thank You for replying so promptly.

Q: Are my BSA R10 .22 (stock) and Taipan Veteran Long .25 (stock) allowed in the EBR?

Air Guns of Arizona is sending us a goodie bag for the first 30 shooters registered, that will include a hat, water bottle and some stickers. They are also providing $1,000 of the $2,000 in prize money, and the Extreme Bench Rest targets for us.

So, Please give them your business when you need a new piece of equipment or supplies.

Thanks AOA!!!

Wayne

Sight in times..

The 25 to 100 yard sight in line will be open on Friday 9am to 7:00pm or so. The line will only hold 5 or 6 at a time, so we will be allowing each competitor one hour at a time, if anyone is waiting for a turn on the line. Sight in will also be open Saturday and Sunday morning from 8am to 8:45am, with the field target safety meeting starting at 8:50, you will only get 10 mins on the line on those days. 

You don't have to shoot the same gun on Saturday and Sunday for field target or bench rest, UNLESS you are competing in the ONE GUN challenge. But you do have to stay in the same foot lbs class as you started.

We might be able to have the sight in open while the bench rest matches are going on in the afternoons at times when it's safe and not a distraction, for those who are waiting for their relays... not sure on this as yet.

Flags..

We will have a line of flags along the edge of the bench rest and field target area, (which is the same area, field target will be shot from in between the bench/booths). Sight in will be on the outside of this area. We might be able to make a 5 person sight in on both sides, but that's undecided at this point.

You are welcome to set up your own flags if you think you will have time during your setup time during your relay.. you would have to be quick about it.

Bench Assignments will be by numbers drawn from a hat each day.

Also, I was asked if we would "weight" down the 75 yard BR target, because it's easier. I talked with Robert and he said he doesn't like that idea. They use the 75 yard target as a elimination for who gets to shoot the 100 yard target finals, because they have hundreds of shooters. He and I both like the idea of all competitors shooting both at 75 and 100 yards and simply adding the scores together. when the competitors are limited to 30 or so as we will have.

Wayne

Wayne, Randy, Jacob, Chris and there other helpers ...... AOA for there sponsorship support etc.

WHAT A GREAT job !!!

These folks BUSTED THERE ASSES getting this match established. Building 10 catch boxes / frames for the EBR, Building 20 catch boxes / swinger targets for the EFT, Building 8 complete EBR shooting benches on wood floors with overhead shade, and an @ 25 foot long double sided picnic type bench with center partition to display the EBR target upon while having a place to sit in the shade and eat at as well !!!!

DAMN boys nice job !!!! 

Results and report and pictures taken I'm sure are pending.

Scott S

Totally agree with Scott. Great event!

F01D8E89-A81D-4AF5-8410-8DB4BC0AAE0D.1621271169.jpeg

Thanks Scott,

Yes, I'm working on the match report... that will take a few days. But here is a pic of the score board and the competitors attending. I'm hoping others will add their pics too.

That shoot off between you and Jim Zigler for second place in the 60fpe Extreme Field Target event was the most impressive shooting I've seen in my 18 years of playing this game!!

Folks, I started them with the hardest lane we had with 2 shots each on two targets. They both got 4 for 4.. so, we took the hardest target a 7/8" spinner and moved it to 50 yards. They both hit it 3 for 3. So, we moved that target out to 65 yards. They both got it 2 for 3. We had to get on with the Extreme Bench Rest match, so they agreed to just split the money from the second and third place awards. Just plain amazing shooting on both their parts under really tough wind reading conditions... But on top of that, Scott was shooting a .177 cal Jefferson State gun he built at about 33 fpe with 16.2 grain JSBs. Jim was shooting a .22 cal USFT at about 50fpe that Larry Durham built. American made... really cool.

Amazing guns, shot by Amazing shooters!!

What a show that was..

Wayne
IMG_1475.1621272332.JPG
IMG_1473.1621272370.JPG

@airgunoregon

But on top of that, Scott was shooting a .177 cal Jefferson State gun he built at about 33 fpe with 16.2 grain JSBs. Jim was shooting a .22 cal USFT at about 50fpe that Larry Durham built. American made… really cool.

——————————————————

And, the first place in the 60 FPE EFT (Steve M) was also shooting a gun made in the USA, a .22 Thomas HP-X. Great shooting Steve, Jim and Scott!!! Three American made guns in top 3 spots 60 FPE Extreme FT.

Just got reminded that they shot 3 shots ea on the first two targets.. so that was 11 for 12 for both shooters!

Wayne

Wayne,

That will be a shootoff that will be recalled for many years to come by those that witnessed it for sure! Jim Ziegler and I had a great time, esp since it was the first event of its kind we had attended, and, as it turned out, we werent as prepared as I thought. Jim’s gun was basically a hopped-up gun made from new and old parts, as was mine, but his was old-school unregulated, while mine used a screw-on regulated tank like a paintball type. Both guns we used were hastily thrown together in the week before the event, and I thought they did well, considering they were untested.

We both shoot “hunter style”, So I used an idea borrowed from some Euro-style field target rigs I’ve seen in pictures ... a super high scope mount to allow less elevation compensation at the far targets .... it work pretty well. I personally didnt shoot to my expectations, having problems with my vision I think, as I had lots of probs seeing my hits on the benchrest events, and being generally wobbly on the Field Target course too (not unusual for septuagenarians) but Jim did really well, esp with a gun he had never seen or held before, with towering scope mount and no “numbers” for the ranges.

The crew you lead to build both courses and run the match did fantastic, and the design work you did with the range and “wailing wall” was amazing and worked well. As usual, your hospitality is first class, and we really had a fun weekend, well worth the roughly 20 hours on the road!

Thanks again,

Your friend, Larry Durham, aka LD

Match Report AOA EXTREME BENCHREST AND FIELD TARGET Ashland Oregon May 15th and 16th 2021

First off, Thanks to our sponsor Air Guns of Arizona, and my AirGun Oregon team, Randy Ebersole, Jacob Sumner, Eric McCormick, Chris Lovitt and my sister Laurie for feeding us lunch both Saturday and Sunday.

It was a little iffy whether or not we would complete the facilities before match day. We had to work a lot of overtime to get er done… but we did and the competitors and board of the Ashland Gun Club who allowed us to have that area to setup on, were all very pleased with our efforts. It’s going to be a great place for future events as well. We will soon add 4 more covered benches and EBR target holder/pellet traps. The “wailing wall” combined picnic area was also a great success. Folks could cry or brag about their targets while they ate their lunchJ The “push pin magnets” idea I had worked really well to hold the targets during the match and on the wailing wall.

We had 18 competitors attend from; Utah, AZ, S. Ca, N. Ca, Portland Or and locally. We had high temps in the 80s, clear and partly cloudy skies along with mild morning winds that switched direction about 11am from SE to NW and became very gusty and changed direction & velocity constantly up to 8mph. The wind would change right before you took your shot. One must watch the flags with one eye as you broke your shot or pay the price.

About half of the competitors took advantage of the practice day on Friday, while the other half arrived late Friday or Saturday morning with very little time to get their rigs dialed in. The scores showed for the most part, that the Friday crowd made a good decisionJ

Only 5 of the 18 competitors shot the 100fpe class and it looks like the highest power air rifle was 78fpe and the lowest was 33fpe. 3 competitors shot a .30 cal rifle,6 shot a .25 cal, 1 shot .177 cal 16.2gr, the balance shot .22 cal with either 18 gr., 25.4 or 33.4 grain.

From the scoreboard and equipment used, next time I think I will set the class break at 45fpe to have a better chance of getting even numbers in each class. The .22 cal 25 grain at about 50-60fpe grabbed most of the top scores. Really, it looks like we don’t even need two classes. The highest overall combined score of 520, was shot by Steve Montgomery in the 60fpe class, with his Thomas high power rig with .22 cal 25.4 grain at 48fpe. The second highest score of 516, from both classes, was shot by Gabe Valenzuela in the 100fpe class. He used an FX Impact with .30 cal 44 grain at 72fpe. The 3rd highest overall score of 492, was shot by Mike Bricker, who shot in 100fpe class, even though his .25 cal Delta Wolf was shooting the 33.4 grain JSBs at 58fpe. The highest possible score in the combined is 80 in the EFT and 500 for the two EBR cards, so 580 was the highest possible.

Also interesting, the 4th highest overall score of 465 was shot by Jim Cyran with a Daystate MCT and .22 cal, 18.1 grain at 34fpe.

For me, and a lot of us, two highlights of the weekend stand out. There was a shoot off for 2nd place in the EFT event between Jim Zigler and Scott Schneider that went 3 rounds and they were still tied! And, I was told, the 100 yard bench rest target shot by Gabe Valenzuela with his .30 cal FX Impact was a new record high of 229/250. That was really well done considering the tricky winds we were shooting in.

Jim and Scott both shot a 65/80 in the 60fpe EFT event, so we had them shoot 3 shots each on the hardest lane on the EFT course.. a 7/8” at 36 yards and a 1-9/16” at 60 yards. They both got 6/6. So, we moved the 7/8” target out to about 50 yards and they both again got it 3/3. So, we moved the 7/8” target out to 65 yards. They both got it 2/3. After that, they just agreed to split the 2nd and 3rd place money. That’s 11/12 on some very, very hard targets in very, very tricky winds. On top of that, Jim was shooting a borrowed USFT LD had just built, for the first time.. And got his numbers late Friday night, And Scott was shooting a JSAR .177 cal. at 33fpe he built himself. That was some of the most impressive shooting I’ve seen in my 18 years of hosting matches.

Saturday, I started the EFT match at 10am instead of 9am, to allow the late arrivers a little time on the site in line, since we would be able to get the EBR match done in 3 relays instead of 4. Jim Cyran shot the highest EFT score of the day in both classes with a 36/40 with his 34fpe Daystate MCT and .22 cal. 18.1 grain. Jim Z. shot a 35/40, Randy Ebersole and Fred Biergiel shot 33/40, Scott S. a 32/40 and Steve M a 31/40. In the 100fpe class I shot a 34/40, Mike Bricker a 33/40 and Gabe V. a 30/40.

Saturday’s 75 yard EBR was won by Steve Montgomery with a 234/250. Steve was using his Thomas HPX .22 cal with the JSB redesigned 25.4 gr at 48fpe. Steve also took 2nd in the 100 yard EBR with a 219/250. Newcomer, Kevin Stoughton also shot a great card with a 231/250

Sunday morning was the 2nd round of the EFT event. Winds were a little stronger than Saturday, even though we started an hour earlier… not a good sign for the afternoon 100 yard EBR eventJ We added an offhand lane for Sunday, a 3” at 42 and 59 yards. High score of the day and winner of the 60fpe EFT class was Steve M. with a 36/40 and 67/80 total. 

The One Gun Combined 60fpe class was won by Steve Montgomery 520/580, 2nd was Jim Cyran with 465/580, and 3rd was Randy Ebersole with a 459/580. The 100fpe class was won by Gabe Valenzuela with a 516/580, Mike Bricker 2nd with a 492/580 and I took 3rd with 449/580.

Mike Bricker won the 100fpe EFT class with a 65/80, I was 2nd with a 64/80, and Gabe V 3rd with a 61/80. In the 60fpe class, Steve M was 1st with 67/80, Scott S. & Jim Z. tied for 2nd with 65/80, & 1 behind, Randy Ebersole 3rd with 64/80.

Here is the rest of the scores below:

Not sorted by Class- 60fpe and 100fpe classes combined Score Totals

Competitor Air Rifle Scope Caliber Pellet FPE EFT EBR Combined

Steve Montgomery Thomas HPX March 5-42×56 .22 25.4 48 67/80 453 520/580

Gabe Valenzuela FX Impact Vortex 6-24 .30 44 72 61/80 455 516/580

Mike Bricker Delta Wolf Athlon Midas .25 33.4 58 65/80 427 492/580

Jim Cyran Daystate MCT S&B PMII .22 18.1 34 61/80 404 465/580

Randy Ebersole Krale Pro 500 8-32×56 Athlon .25 25.4 38 64/80 395 459/580

Jacob Sumner Krale Pro 500 8-34×56 Aeon .25 25.4 39 51/80 403 454/580

Jim Ziegler USFT LD 10-50 Sightron .22 25.4 50 65/80 385 450/580

Wayne Burns JSAR 10-50 Falcon X .30 44 78 64/80 385 449/580

Fred Biergiel RAW 1000X Hawke 8-40 .22 25.4 47 59/80 379 438/580

Dave Wilson FX Impact Vortex Razor .30 44 74 25/80 395 420/580

Larry Durham USFT LD 6- 24 S&B .22 25.4 52 56/80 359 415/580

Kevin Stoughton Raw HM 1000X Vortex Eagle .22 33 40 NA 415 415/500

Chris Lovitt Krale Pro 500 Nikko 10-50 .22 25.4 34 38/80 370 406/580

Scott Schneider JSAR Optisan .177 16.2 33 65/80 326 391/580

Alex Stoughton JR FX Maverick Athlon 10-40 .25 33.95 40 NA 389 389/500

Carl Prensse Pulsar Bushnell Forge .25 25.4 40 NA 380 380/500

Eric McCormick FX Impact MII 10-50 Falcon .25 25.4 48 38/80 323 357/580

Carlos Iglesias Uragan Hawke 8-32 .22 25.4 48 38/80 186 224/580

Carlos had to leave early and didn’t shoot the 100 yard EBR card.

Again thanks so much to Robert and AOA and my AirGun Oregon team. Job well done!!

Respectfully submitted,

Wayne Burns,

Match Director

AirGun Oregon