• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Extreems

What extremes do you all go too, for that competitive edge? For example do you weigh and sort your pellets and slugs? Do you put your ammo in a tumbler and get it all polished up? Do you have a scope that's way over kill? Do you meditate or do visualization techniques? Practice breathing techniques. List of the stuff you do that others might think of as extreem. Come on dont be bashful.

I suppose everything that can be done will help a little in its respective area but since the COF's are often posted they can be practiced.

Because most of the shooting is dynamic and implemented off obstacles a fair amount of the time any familiarization to equipment and props makes a HUGE difference.

Good "reliable" guns, good scopes, and good projectiles really help get those extra points each stage.

The best shooters go to lots of matches and each time they learn something which all adds up over time.

Ha, I'm envisioning Bear from Alaskan Bush People say his favorite phrase "EXTREME".

Reactions: FIDI_G
I use much cheaper equipment and compete with the guys that have all the fancy rifles and accessorries. My goal is to spend a little labor, half the money and still compete

So hows that working out? I love the underdog play. I think it would be really hard to be competitve with out using good equipment.

What do you do that makes you competitve against the big money setups???

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
So hows that working out? I love the underdog play. I think it would be really hard to be competitve with out using good equipment.

What do you do that makes you competitve against the big money setups???
I havent had achance to do it with air, kids are a bit demanding currently. I did do well in alot of precision rimfire matches using a savage mk2 heavy barrel against much more expensive competition. Know your equipment, trigger time is the only thing needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
I use much cheaper equipment and compete with the guys that have all the fancy rifles and accessorries. My goal is to spend a little labor, half the money and still compete

I have two friends that competed in NRL22 with their fixed up Ruger 10-22's. Both did well. One of them, in his 40's at the time, using expensive Lapua ammo, won lots of matches.
Part of the reason why was his gun would do 1/2" at 50Y.
The other part was he participated in centerfire PRS matches a couple times a month so he was used to the in's and out's of the game.

For a few years, he, I, and two other guys would swap around with the wins. This was pre Base division days.
Then one of those guys got a Vudoo in a MPA chassis with weights attached at 20-ish pounds and perfectly balanced in front of the mag well, it had a 3-4 ounce TT trigger as well. He distanced himself over us by 5-10 points a match.
I shot his gun a few times and it was silly how superior it was off obstacles. Plant it down on a fortune cookie bag, point it where you wanted, free recoil, and make hits.
The rest of us had a wobble zone twice or more of his.

My Anschutz is fantastic in some ways but its lightweight thus I found myself outdone for this game as far as Open division. Yep I could still go and have fun but I wanted to get a win once in a while and I saw the writing on the wall......

These days a heavy barrel stock Savage would be a decent way to go in NRL22 Base division.

Or try airgun division. I might show up at a NRL22 match with my Vulcan 3 25 cal shooting slugs this year for the fun of it. I better start getting in shape for it! Old and creeky....