Extracting maximal value from a cheap compressor

Hey Delooper,

Coming from one who does projects like this for a living, I consider it a "professional courtesy" to help try to "talk you off the ledge". With the time (which I don't know how much you have invested there), but the money for just this part alone puts you in the budget for a pump designed for what you are trying to do. I don't have a Yong Heng, so I don't have a dog in the fight, but I do use oil-less compressors, like yours. These things are not designed to last forever, and I am personally on my third one. I take it super easy on mine and only fill a 450cl tank by 40bar at a time...manually. Again, and I am burning through them. When the seals on your cylinder die, which they will, you will be left with a bunch of support components for a cheap compressor. So do you buy another cheap compressor to justify the expense and time you put into this project, or do you just listen to the wisdom on this site (which I haven't yet) and get the Yong Heng?

This is probably my last time to chime in on this thread. I hope that you are able to get the performance you are going after. Best of luck!!!

Jonathan

I'm doing this not just for the pump. I enjoy learning about new things. I haven't done much work building circuits in my life, and I'd like to get better so that I can try some more interesting projects in the future. This is a stepping stone. 

I imagine when my cheap pump dies I'll go for something like the Alpha-Carette compressor. 

https://www.topgun-airguns.com/product/alpha-carette-compressor/

Screenshot from 2022-01-05 21-14-06.1641446063.png

i.e. something known to be really robust. Other than getting experience building circuits, this project aims to hopefully give me a year or two before another pump purchase. We should be spending our money on home renovations at present. 

@delooper,
I think what you want for this application is a three-way solenoid valve between the pump and air filter. Use your timer circuit or an outboard outlet timer adapter to turn both the compressor and solenoid valve on and off at the same time. When the solenoid valve is de-energized (off), the port to the pump compressor is vented through the exhaust port on the solenoid valve.

Three way solenoid valves have three ports. The port that gets blocked when the solenoid is de-energized is the one you want to connect downstream to the air filter. The port that gets vented to the exhaust port when the valve is de-energized gets connected to the compressor. When the valve is energized, the pump port and air filter port are connected together, and the exhaust port gets blocked. That way it's all automatic and your compressor starts and stops with no load.

Not sure if you're still working on this but I happened to run across this message and it reminded me of similar pneumatic puzzles I used to encounter in my career.

Regards,
Feinwerk