Extra-long slugs

In order to take any advantage of the higher BC afforded by "extra-long" slugs, we would need to shoot them at a decent velocity. Say at least 950fps? Because of the relatively low pressures, trying to deliver enough air volume becomes problematic. Lets say that we wanted to shoot a 100gr .217 caliber slug at 950fps. That's 200fpe. With a 200cc plenum and 3000psi of air, that requires dumping it all into a 62" minimum length barrel in order to get the required energy to accelerate the air and projectile to 950fps.

I have not done a .217, but I have done a .257 and experimented with relatively long slugs. Best way to start is pick the maximum barrel length that you can live with, and then work backwards, with the other practicalities: such as available air volume and pressure, desired shot count, gun weight, etc. It becomes a game of compromises. For my purposes, "medium-length" slugs (72gr .257) turned out to be the best compromise for my end goals.

I will definitely consider trying some extra-long slugs, eventually.

Currently 11mm is my maximum capacity in 0.22. But perhaps at some point, someone will make longer magazines for the Leshiy 2 and I can experiment with longer slugs.

I've acquired two different types of 11mm slugs. They are in the 35--40 grain range.

Thats the only 22cal airgun I know of that has 224 1:7 barrel it is also by far most powerfull 22cal pcp there is.. granted its operated at 4500psi when you shoot heavy stuff. If I remember right it was making close to 170fpe at full throttle.. We are not limited by barrel friction or available twistrates since in these cases you alrdy dive into firearm barrels and calibers.. only limiting factor is Pressure or well lack of it.. you guys see even at 4500psi we are operating at 1/3-1/5 of the chamber pressure of 22LR.. you can generate more by increasing barrel lenght but it becomes unusable pretty rapidly.

Ever considered this one? Lyman 224450. 48 grain with Lyman no. 2 mix, probably be 52 grains with pure lead.
1654959413525.png

Chris